Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    -Hi Johnny,

Curtis is correct.

I made both the bell tower and the shingle flare using a 3d molding. At first the bell shape generated very strangely when I went for the true profile. I improvised by adjusting the molding height in the dialogue box. A negative inputs with the horizontal offset made it work perfectly. (see screen capture)

Regarding the process itself and how to create shingle flares, I do everything as follows:

1. Take a cross sectional view and draw your desired molding shape using CAD lines. Note: Always draw the rough molding so that you have the wall on the left and the molding profile to your right...otherwise it will be backwards when generating.
    2. Click on the CAD work and save the molding profile to your library.
    3. Open a 2d view and draw a horizontal Cad line. Click on it and convert it to a 3d molding profile (with the magic wand icon). Once it converts to a molding, if need be, click on it and use the control key to adjust it accordingly on the outside wall. If the coursing on a shingle flare doesn't line up exactly with your siding, you can play with the vertical dimension of the molding in the dialogue box to make it align.
    4. Once you've got the molding underway, go back to plan view. Find the line (I color mine lime green so they are easy to find) drag the molding line and break it as needed so that it stays snug to your house footprint.

That's about it. I added all the steps in case a new user wanted to get a better grasp. Tnx.

Also...you can keep adding more molding to an existing 3d molding. Example: once you make a shingle flare, open up the dialogue box. There you can add a solid crown, and then a frieze board so you have a three in one built up trim.

Hope this makes sense.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bell tower profile.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	60324   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Circular trim made with a radius not a circle..JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	60325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shingle flare.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	60326  
    Val
    Chief user since the Millenium
    V-8 thru X-6
    Windows 7
    Dell Studio XPS 9100
    x64-8gb w/1gb ATI Radeon 5800
    my web page
    Curbed Hamptons

An easy way to get the molding PL around the exterior is to click just outside an exterior wall to highlight the exterior room and then in the edit tool bar click on the make room PL icon (and then convert to a molding). You may have to edit it depending on what gets included in the "room" ... e.g., you may have to reshape around decks or porches.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Thanks guys - I really appreciate the advice.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD