32 Bit VS 64 Bit for X5

Hoping for just a little advise ,
    Because I am Cheap I am still using X4 64 bit, and have been very happy with the performance on my computer but now I want to upgrade to X5.. Question is once in a while I would like to be able to upload symbols from sketchup but you can't do that with 64 Bit, so should I go with the 32 Bit upgrade. will that slow down operations ? or will that cause problems with my plans done on X2. X3 and X4 ? or does it even matter.? I was going to talk to CA support Tuesday but thought maybe some of you have already gone thru this...

Thanks for your help

You don't need to decide. Just install both. Use the 64 bit for using chief normally. Use the 32 bit just to import skp files. The 32 bit and 64 bit will share the same library so once you import something in the 32 bit version it will magically show up in the 64 bit version.
    Kilgore Trout

I use the 64-bit version and sketchup simply by importing 3DS files (exported from sketchup). I have no idea why there is this issue, but Chief could do us all a favor and make the versions homogeneous in this regard. Heck, if they aren't going to drastically improve their object/symbol modeling, I think they should allow embedded sketchup files native - and editing of imported SU files similar to how Autodesk uses Fusion 360.

I've seen marketing from Archicad that seems to point to this sort of collaboration with Sketchup - and in my opinion Chief has much greater reason to have this "relationship" with SU than Archicad does.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

I have no idea why there is this issue, but Chief could do us all a favor and make the versions homogeneous in this regard.
    It's not chief. It's sketchup. They only released a 32 bit version of their library so chief can't link to it from a 64 bit program. I have heard that they recently released a 64 bit version so hopefully chief will be able to solve this problem in X6.
    Kilgore Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    It's not chief. It's sketchup. They only released a 32 bit version of their library so chief can't link to it from a 64 bit program. I have heard that they recently released a 64 bit version so hopefully chief will be able to solve this problem in X6.
    I'd assume Archicad is 64 bit, yet they don't have that same issue - but I don't know enough about Archicad to understand why they don't have that issue.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Possibly they launch a 32 bit utility to do the import but just don't say anything about it. This isn't really that difficult to do. The user wouldn't really be aware that the utility was 32 bit - maybe not even know that it was a a separate utility at all.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Maybe this teaser might float your boat:

We also featured improvements in Layouts, ......, Import, Export, ...., and much more.
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

(Smilies collection from the brilliant creative members of Deviantart and Freethought)

Rod
    where did that quote come from?? that would get me going
    Graeme Taylor

currently loaded X3.1 & X4.2-64 bit & X5 64 bit
    also used v7 to x12
    AMD Phenom 2 black 980 3.7 GHz quad core
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    NVIDIA GEForce GTX560 1024Mb graphics
    win 7 -64 bit
    2 x 24 inch monitors

Hi Graeme,

Post 9 in the X6 Sneak Peak thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Park View Post
    Attendees of the conference were asked not to post what they were shown.

I'll throw out a few teasers.

You already know about multiple tabbed windows that can be placed on any number of monitors. This was met with approval but is not the area that got the most applause.

We also featured improvements in Layouts, Schedules, Printing, Rendering, Annotation, Doors, Windows, Cabinets, Walls, Railings, Rooms, Dimensions, Framing, Import, Export, License transfers, and much more.

I won't go into detail for now. You will like what we did and want more.
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

(Smilies collection from the brilliant creative members of Deviantart and Freethought)