Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: terrain issues

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    Scott:

fences are not always on the PL

I have 15'+ on rear and right and 5' on left

this allows me to mow around the fence and maintain the fence etc

Lew
    Do your neighbors do the same thing, and if so, is there now a 10' strip of inaccessible land on the left and right side? We always put fences on P.L.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I guess the terrain curb works best then for "non-flat" terrains. Thanks guys.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Scott:

fences are not always on the PL

I have 15'+ on rear and right and 5' on left

this allows me to mow around the fence and maintain the fence etc

Lew
    Sounds like a good way to grant an access easement. Of course if you want to do that.........
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

johnnyprc,

johnnyprc,

It's really not that complicated.
    You are on the right track.
    You are correct in using a Terrain Feature to represent the site on the overall terrain.
    Forget fences, kerbs and terrain regions.

The problem is, you have all your Terrain Feature heights screwed up and you are using a Driveway for the driveway.
    The easiest way to fix:
    Delete one of the plot Terrain Features.
    Make the plot Terrain feature's Height 1" (not 0") and Thickness 1" (not 240").
    These heights are relative to the terrain surface, NOT the bottom of the terrain.
    Check Clip Overlapping Terrain Features - not 100% necessary, but it may help.
    That will fix up the plot Terrain Feature ONCE you delete the driveway.
    A driveway is a special animal in that it influences the terrain grade by cutting and filling and it is this feature that is distorting your Terrain and Terrain Feature.
    Sometimes you have to make the Terrain Features and Driveways very thick to overcome this.

Or...you need to shape the terrain around the driveway with more terrain elevation data.
    Instead of using a driveway, you may need to use another Terrain Feature.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Scott and Joe:

the land is not inaccessible

I mow it and trim it etc

there is no legal requirement to put fences on the line

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    johnnyprc,

johnnyprc,

It's really not that complicated.
    You are on the right track.
    You are correct in using a Terrain Feature to represent the site on the overall terrain.
    Forget fences, kerbs and terrain regions.

The problem is, you have all your Terrain Feature heights screwed up and you are using a Driveway for the driveway.
    The easiest way to fix:
    Delete one of the plot Terrain Features.
    Make the plot Terrain feature's Height 1" (not 0") and Thickness 1" (not 240").
    These heights are relative to the terrain surface, NOT the bottom of the terrain.
    Check Clip Overlapping Terrain Features - not 100% necessary, but it may help.
    That will fix up the plot Terrain Feature ONCE you delete the driveway.
    A driveway is a special animal in that it influences the terrain grade by cutting and filling and it is this feature that is distorting your Terrain and Terrain Feature.
    Sometimes you have to make the Terrain Features and Driveways very thick to overcome this.

Or...you need to shape the terrain around the driveway with more terrain elevation data.
    Instead of using a driveway, you may need to use another Terrain Feature.
    I followed your advice and it works perfectly. I can now do anything with the roads using the terrain feature....

Here is the 2D concept I am trying to make 3D, so I can now use the curb feature for my "sub" lot config, so this thread is helpful all around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	road_issue_fixed.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	60226   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	concept.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	60227  
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Looks great JPC. What program did you use for rendering? Love the Tudor style.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

johnnyprc,

I forgot to add that you should be aware of the different behaviours of the various types of roads, sidewalks and driveways.

The "Straight" ones will reshape the terrain to give a cut and fill.

The Spline and Polyline ones will not change the shape of the terrain - they act like Terrain Features in that they sit on top of the terrain without affecting it.
    BUT...the Spline and Polyline ones won't cut kerbs where they join other items.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Looks great JPC. What program did you use for rendering? Love the Tudor style.
    I can't take credit for the (house) rendering - its actually just a watercolor of a tutor (painting). I use that sort of thing for influence and forward thinking. Typically I start with that sort of idea - expressions of the style and then develop my own concepts from there.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    johnnyprc,

I forgot to add that you should be aware of the different behaviours of the various types of roads, sidewalks and driveways.

The "Straight" ones will reshape the terrain to give a cut and fill.

The Spline and Polyline ones will not change the shape of the terrain - they act like Terrain Features in that they sit on top of the terrain without affecting it.
    BUT...the Spline and Polyline ones won't cut kerbs where they join other items.
    Thanks for that info - I'll make sure not to ask a question twice - I am paying attention to this advice.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

a good reason for NOT putting a fence on the property line

Who is responsible for the maintenance of a fence between two properties?Boundary fences sit on the boundary line between two properties. Boundary fences, or division fences, must conform to fencing laws established by local ordinances and CC&Rs. Both property owners own the fence erected between the property lines when both use it. Every state interprets "use" differently. There are three main definitions: Occupancy: use of the land up to the fence "Join" for use: the attachment of another fence to the boundary fence Entire enclosure: the property owner's entire property is enclosed by the attachment of other fencing to the boundary fenceMost state laws or local ordinances cast responsibility for the maintenance of boundary fences on the owners that use the fence unless an agreement indicates otherwise. The law places responsibility on both parties because both benefit from the fence. Consequently, when a fence needs repair, both property owners must share the cost. If one party refuses to cooperate, the other party can do any of the following: Write a letter to the neighbor explaining the problem with the fence. Have the repair work performed. Then write a demand letter requesting payment from the neighbor. Go to mediation. If state or local laws provide a provision, request a "fence viewer" examine the fence and make a recommendation of whether the fence needs repair or whether the amount requested for repair is reasonable. Sue the neighbor for reimbursement.

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Lew, this is so silly. Because your neighbor might not agree to split the costs of repairs, you say put it on our own property so you alone will pay for repairs. Why not put fence on p.l. In the off chance the neighbor will split costs.

I guess I am lucky, we don't have fences between properties. Not a problem here, I like my neighbors. On one side there is a snowbird, so she is around only half the year, on the other side..... well he is English, but I don't hold that against him. In fact he took us out to dinner the other night.

The folks behind us, we'll that's the golf course, somebody is always leaving their sliced pro-v-1's in my back yard. Every night I go into the backyard and pick up the orphaned balls. I have not bought a sleeve of golf balls in 11 years...... However, I have had to replace the occasional broken window.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Scott:

I have put a fence on every property I bought

not because of the neighbors but because I have dogs

you may think the law is silly but .....

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Scott:

I have put a fence on every property I bought

not because of the neighbors but because I have dogs

you may think the law is silly but .....

Lew
    Yep, one of the drawbacks to not having a fenced yard. Thus, I am forced to live with a surly cat and I must forego the loving dog.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

So I don't have a fence either. Let the mountain lions, bobcats, raccoons, squirrels, rabbits, coyotes & every other animal come and play whenever they want.

But I'll shoot every d*%# crow that enters my airspace.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium