Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: terrain issues

terrain issues

Glenn gave me the good recommendation to use a terrain feature for the "site" area within a larger terrain scene. I did that, but then when I go to place roads that overlap those areas, I get this. I've tried all sorts of ideas - including making another exact terrain feature sit in the same space to act like a "hole", but that has issues of its own. The only way I can get the driveway to behave correctly is to not have the terrain feature there - but then I am left defining the PL another way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	terrain.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	60221  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Either I disagree with Glenn or you misunderstood what he said. Do not use a TERRAIN FEATURE, use an ELEVATION REGION............. big diff.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I don't know if this is what you need but I clicked one of the terrain features and deleted it and I guess this is what you need?

Andy.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 1.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	60223
    CA X-V, Sketchup 8 PRO,
    Auto-something '11
    Revit'11
    Windows 7, AMD Phenom 8 core, 12 Gigs. Ram. (Works well together).
    Andre' G. Tardif
    andytardif@gmail.com
    www.draftinginoc.com

It goes back to the desire to use a larger terrain perimeter to show surrounding areas...but still have a specific PL based terrain area for the specific project. I'll check-out the elevation region but I thought that primarily effects topo.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Quote Originally Posted by carpenterguy View Post
    I don't know if this is what you need but I clicked one of the terrain features and deleted it and I guess this is what you need?

Andy.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 1.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	60223
    Yep - but I did the same thing over here and it didn't work like its working for you. The double terrain feature is left from when I duplicated the feature to try a "hole" - I ran into this issue with only 1 terrain feature to start. That said, if you notice even on yours the driveway isn't cutting through the terrain as it normally does.

I am curious how that works for you and not me. Would you do me a favor and draw another drive and see if it still works on your system? - as if you are drawing a new driveway from scratch.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Well, I just tried drawing the driveway in reverse fashion - on the terrain feature going to the street - and that does work.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyprc View Post
    .....................but still have a specific PL based terrain area for the specific project.......................
    I don't understand why you are doing this.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

How do you then show a larger aspect of a project terrain (outside the scope of the PL) but then delineate the PL boundary within?

This was the discussion - http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....hlight=terrain
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

I have seen people using a molding polyline in 3d to represent a property perimeter on the terrain.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyprc View Post
    How do you then show a larger aspect of a project terrain (outside the scope of the PL) but then delineate the PL boundary within?

This was the discussion - http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....hlight=terrain
    Ahhhhh, I see, I usually don't, but typically I have a fence around the back yard that would help. Tommy's thought isn't bad, but not good, it will not show any changes in elevation, a VERY VERY short fence could work but probably the best way is a TERRAIN CURB............ but I would always listen to any suggestion Glenn might have. I did not understand what you were trying to do.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

I just tested the terrain feature that you are using. It does not matter if I start on the terrain region or start on terrain and go to terrain region (with a driveway), I get the glitch.............. if it is not a flat grade. I would probably use a terrain curb.......... it will follow the slopes, it can be as tall or wide as you want, it can be any material............. it will travel well over pline sidewalks............ but it will not travel well over driveways or centerline sidewalks............
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Ahhhhh, I see, I usually don't, but typically I have a fence around the back yard that would help. Tommy's thought isn't bad, but not good, it will not show any changes in elevation, a VERY VERY short fence could work but probably the best way is a TERRAIN CURB............ but I would always listen to any suggestion Glenn might have. I did not understand what you were trying to do.
    Just so you know, this not what I do. I was simply stating that I've seen other plans where prople have done this. I generally only show terrain in the lot I'm working with which is not what the poster is asking about. I have shown terrain outside of the property but am not concerned about showing the property line in 3D. I show this in a site plan with topo turned on if necessay.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Scott:

fences are not always on the PL

I have 15'+ on rear and right and 5' on left

this allows me to mow around the fence and maintain the fence etc

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Johnny,

I don't think you understood correctly what Glenn was saying.

I generally am not concerned with showing the Property Line in 3D. That said, if I really needed to, I would use a really small curb or fence because these things follow the terrain. Terrain Features OTOH seem to be always flat (a single elevation height) so they would interfere with a driveway.

For urban driveways I use a very short driveway (maybe 12") in order to get the Curb Cut - then I put a Ramp on top of that up to where the Sidewalk would be and then I use Terrain Features for the Sidewalk and rest of the Driveway to cover the mess that the real driveway causes.

Name:	Urban Driveway.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	60224  
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Here's an example. I just placed a Terrain Curb on the Property Line and changed it to 2"x2" and made it red.

Name:	Terrain 3D Property Line.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	60225  
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium