Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Extra Sloped Ceiling surface in room.

Here's a problem that has me stumped. I'll post the plan should I need to. However, perhaps there's a nice easy fix that somebody knows off hand.

Anyway, I have a completed home. While doing some of the finer details, I go back "inside" in camera view at some point and find I have this ceiling surface hanging in my entrance which starts at the ceiling and slopes down to perhaps 3 or 4 feet off the floor. At first, I simply thought it was a "lost" roof surface, but I could not select it. I was able to determine that it was a "ceiling" surface by turning off that layer in the 3D view. However, when I turn off the ceiling in that particular room, the hanging surface still just sits there. I've verified on 3 floors (including the attic) in 2D that there are no stray polysolids, no locked layers in the entire plan, and still, I cannot select this surface, although the material editor will pick up its material.

I simply need to deleted this hanging ceiling surface....or whatever it is....it is starting to be called much worse names as the time goes on!

Any thoughts before I post the plan....after I learn how :-)
    Ivan Cyr

CA X5
    HP i7 Dual Quad Core 2.3GHz
    8GB Ram
    1GB GEFORCE GT 630M Video Card
    Win 7 64bit
    ivanatwork@sympatico.ca

Ivan,

Better to post the plan otherwise there will be 5 pages of guesswork.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Never listen to Glenn. I have gone through this before with the hanging ceiling obscure and esoteric issue and it turned out to be a "post the plan" that solved it. Wait, what did Glenn say?
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."

Quote Originally Posted by gawdzira View Post
    Never listen to Glenn. I have gone through this before with the hanging ceiling obscure and esoteric issue and it turned out to be a "post the plan" that solved it. Wait, what did Glenn say?
    Don't listen to Glenn, I want to see 3 pages of guesses without a solution. Alan, you are taking the fun out of this.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

You guys KILL me....I'm still laughing....but this bug surface is putting a damper on my usual enthusiam!!

Alrighty...I can't seem get the plan small enough to upload here...even after I deleted the entire basement and terrain plus features....it is still WAY too big; zipped at over 8MB.

My plan B; Do I have a volunteer who will accept a Dropbox invite to take a peek?

Thanks in advance.
    Ivan Cyr

CA X5
    8GB Ram
    Win 7 64bit
    ivanatwork@sympatico.ca

You can just post the dropbox link right here in the thread.
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Son View Post
    You can just post the dropbox link right here in the thread.
    ((Link removed))

Let's try this....

There's a saved camera, "Camera 1" that is looking right at the item in question. Otherwise, the defect his hanging down in the front entrance....don't forget to duck when entering!

Thx for the tip Michael.
    Ivan Cyr

CA X5
    8GB Ram
    Win 7 64bit
    ivanatwork@sympatico.ca

I gave it a play and could not figure it out. I was able to eliminate all roofs save for 3, and the problem persisted. Once I eliminated any of the remaining 3 roofs, the ceiling disappeared. No answer from me.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Ivan, you may want to send this into tech support. You also might try rebuilding those 3 problematic roof planes, one may be corrupted. I have seen something like this on one of JPC's plans. Please let us know what you find out, thanks.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Ivan,

It is definitely a ceiling plane on the Ceiling Surfaces layer (which is also controlled by the Rooms layer).

I can get it to disappear by opening the room's dbx and unchecking Use Soffit Surface for Ceiling on the Structure tab.
    I can't work out why it is building in the first place.
    I got down to the 3 roof planes that Ddot did. If you delete any one of the three roof planes, the ceiling disappears as well - I don't know why.

Maybe one for tech support - let them earn their money, that's what you pay SSA for.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Glenn just jogged my memory. Similar situation with a JPC plan. Someone suggested deleting the soffit, my comment back was, "maybe he wants a soffit", solution in the JPC case was to rebuild the offending roof planes and all was well.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Like this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Entry.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	60220

Bill
    Bill Lynch
    CA X6 Beta
    Gateway LX6200-01
    Windows 7
    AMD Phenom X4 9500 quad core
    8 GB DDR2
    PNY 9800GT 1024MB nvidia video card
    750 GB HD SATA-300

Ivan,

Ok, I found it.
    You need to adjust one of your roof planes.
    Locate the junction of the yellow wall and the blue wall just below the "W" of the OPEN BELOW name on the stairs.

Note that the top horizontal edge of the front roof plane (the roof plane over the bathroom) runs along the edge of the yellow wall and then encroaches on the thicker blue wall.

You need to break that edge of the roof plane where the 2 different types of wall join (they are in line) and drag that right hand end section off the blue wall.
    That is probably how you would need to build it anyway.

PS. Wow, that was a hard one to figure out.

Bill, you just posted at the same time as me. Did you do the same as me?
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Good work Glenn, I was hoping to 'tease' Scott's brain a little. You spoiled it for me!

Bill
    Bill Lynch
    CA X6 Beta
    Gateway LX6200-01
    Windows 7
    AMD Phenom X4 9500 quad core
    8 GB DDR2
    PNY 9800GT 1024MB nvidia video card
    750 GB HD SATA-300

Nice catch guys, embarrassed I did not figure that out.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX