Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    wall by wall in the wall DBX, only lock the walls that have special condidions
    And that is a good feature, but we should also be able to more specifically specify our framing methods. Without that ability there is no way I am going to change every opening etc to some custom config - simple not worth it on most my projects.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

or lock a wall such as existing before building framing. This will then not build framing in selected wall. Very handy for remodels.
    Graeme Taylor

currently loaded X3.1 & X4.2-64 bit & X5 64 bit
    also used v7 to x12
    AMD Phenom 2 black 980 3.7 GHz quad core
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    NVIDIA GEForce GTX560 1024Mb graphics
    win 7 -64 bit
    2 x 24 inch monitors

nice, thanks. that seems -almost- as good as a DBX?
    1- Frame walls
    2- Identify special conditions.
    3- Modify to suit.
    4- Lock
    5- Hope that tha's not the wall that's effected by the 11th hour revision
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

5- Hope that tha's not the wall that's effected by the 11th hour revision

Matt:

I agree

Chief's main selling point is that it is parametric driven

when I can't accomplish a task with DBX settings then
    I usually have to rely on my parther

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

In the 80's I framed houses. I learned from watching others but I questioned why 2x8 or 2x10 headers were used over every exterior wall opening regardless of the width of the opening. I thought, "this couldn't be because all the designer wants is a uniform height of the top of all (exterior) openings?", but that was the case. Attention to insualtion and vapor barrier systems was becoming a big issue then, so framing was changed to allow for less lumber and more insulation. A patio door in a non-load bearing (curtain) exterior wall had no header, only 3 pcs of 2x4 above it. Since all exterior walls were 2x6, headers over openings were a sandwich made of 2x4, 6, 8 or 10, then foam insulation to make up for lost R value, and another 2x 8 or 10 to make the unit flush both sides. Rule of thumb for spans using Spruce/Pine/Fir, #1 construction grade, was 2pc 2x4 spanned up to 4', 2pc 2x6 spanned up to 6', etc.. The default specs in Chief add 2" to each of those rules, so Chief wants a double 2x6 to span a 4' wide opening. They don't specify species or grade from what I found, but I'm sure Douglas Fir is similar to Spruce/Pine/Fir back east. It might be stronger. That's a waste of insulation space in my experience. Of course on any project, we always check with the American Wood Council regarding spans.

Quote Originally Posted by alabamabob View Post
    In the 80's I framed houses. I learned from watching others but I questioned why 2x8 or 2x10 headers were used over every exterior wall opening regardless of the width of the opening. I thought, "this couldn't be because all the designer wants is a uniform height of the top of all (exterior) openings?", but that was the case. Attention to insualtion and vapor barrier systems was becoming a big issue then, so framing was changed to allow for less lumber and more insulation. A patio door in a non-load bearing (curtain) exterior wall had no header, only 3 pcs of 2x4 above it. Since all exterior walls were 2x6, headers over openings were a sandwich made of 2x4, 6, 8 or 10, then foam insulation to make up for lost R value, and another 2x 8 or 10 to make the unit flush both sides. Rule of thumb for spans using Spruce/Pine/Fir, #1 construction grade, was 2pc 2x4 spanned up to 4', 2pc 2x6 spanned up to 6', etc.. The default specs in Chief add 2" to each of those rules, so Chief wants a double 2x6 to span a 4' wide opening. They don't specify species or grade from what I found, but I'm sure Douglas Fir is similar to Spruce/Pine/Fir back east. It might be stronger. That's a waste of insulation space in my experience. Of course on any project, we always check with the American Wood Council regarding spans.
    The main reason I typically keep headers sizes standardized through a home is that the framers like having the consistent cut sizes throughout. The person who normally does pre-cutting on a job is the newbie laborer. Nearly every time I get cute with header sizing there is some mistake that gets caught in trim (not the best place to catch things). Since one of my primary goals is uniform header heights, I keep things as simple and straightforward as possible. Only for major spans or garage headers do I change header specs. I typically denote a 4x10 with a bottom trimmer - but I also use individual windows and not mulled units. The American Wood Council has a chart in the IBC/IRC for header spans - so that is prescriptive info.

I guess we all do things our own way depending on geographic standards. I'd like to be able to show my header detail in Chief - and right now that is not possible without editing every location.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

If you select the wall tool, you can shift select all the walls on a floor and lock them (Retain framing)..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Johny
    I use a typical header size also, but....
    If you want to use varying headers and or address different ceiling heights, maybe you should call out your trimmer heights?
    In our area we use 4x12 headers with no cripples for 8' ceilings. Windows are just a little higher than doors and that's life in the Bay Area.
    We can order 6'10" doors but not all vendors make them. Some of the sliding doors in stock at Lowes are actually a little less that 6'8" I think.
    You might try a standard edtail that place the header against the top plate, regardelss of dimension, then float a lintel (2x4 on edge to set your door and window head heights?
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

From a labor standpoint it's considerably easier and less expensive (at least for 8' ceiling heights) to use a full height header than it is to cut and install cripple studs. Built-up Headers can be prefabricated and installed very fast.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

I get beams bearing on door and window openings all the time, I can't use a standard header beam in those cases. Flexibility is a must. Adjust header sizes in those DBX's is really needed
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    I get beams bearing on door and window openings all the time, I can't use a standard header beam in those cases. Flexibility is a must. Adjust header sizes in those DBX's is really needed
    Agreed, that is another good reason why we need the quick flexibility for each wall/opening. The global frame concept is OK to start, but we need to go back into areas and have a method other than moving sticks around to specify alternative headers etc.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    From a labor standpoint it's considerably easier and less expensive (at least for 8' ceiling heights) to use a full height header than it is to cut and install cripple studs. Built-up Headers can be prefabricated and installed very fast.
    The carpenter side of me agrees with Joe - much quicker to prefab and install
    Randy
    10.08/X4/X5 Win7Pro64
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual - 4200+ @ 2200 MHz
    4G DDR-SDRAM
    Geforce 550 Ti Fermi 1G

Can someone describe "prefab" of headers? We use prefab wall panels, and prefab steel assemblies, but I am unaware of exactly what a header prefab is. How can you prefab a 4x10 header?
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Sorry - used the term loosely
    What I meant by prefab is simply that all the headers are precut and assembled at a workstation
    Process is quick assembly-line type work when dealing with full height headers
    Randy
    10.08/X4/X5 Win7Pro64
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual - 4200+ @ 2200 MHz
    4G DDR-SDRAM
    Geforce 550 Ti Fermi 1G

Quote Originally Posted by rgfeher View Post
    Sorry - used the term loosely
    What I meant by prefab is simply that all the headers are precut and assembled at a workstation
    Process is quick assembly-line type work when dealing with full height headers
    OK, that makes more sense to me. Yes, that is what I am talking about too - all uniform sizes (materials) so the guy cutting can just make and number the headers.

Just now I did a search, and there are prefab headers with insulation sandwiched between wood/steel/etc. I've see this before, but never spec'd it. I thought maybe that was what you guys were talking about.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD