Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyprc View Post
    Yes, it does deter termites too, but its primarily for the fungus and mold in those environments.

http://www.bluwood.com/
    Have you ever used it? Would be curious to hear the added cost, it doesn't seem to be available here in Northern California. When I first heard about it a couple of years ago it was marketed as fire retardant as well, but since then I haven't heard much. Maybe it didn't live up to expectations or was to expensive. A lumber that is termite, fungus and fire resistant sure sounds like the holy grail.

Ben

Ben, did you see the Press Release on their website Re: Resolution of Litigation.

Could be why you weren't seeing this product in California.

jon
    Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHz/OC @ 3.1GHz
    32GB Corsair Vengeance SDRAM
    1.5TB HDD
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (332.21)
    3GB VRAM
    2X ASUS VN247H-P
    Wacom Intuos 4
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, SP1
    HDA 10 & HD Pro 2012
    Chief X5 & X6 w/SSA
    A note pad and #2 pencil

My Facebook

Thanks, can't say I understood what it evolved to though. Seems like there was a dispute between a San Diego distributor and the company, but it didn't say if it was due to a problem with the product or some business related issues. I see that it is now owned by another company and they only have distribution in the South.

http://www.edgefieldlumber.com/

1.5TB HDD
    3GB VRAM
    2X ASUS VN247H-P
    Wacom Intuos 4
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, SP1
    HDA 10 & HD Pro 2012
    Chief X5 & X6 w/SSA
    A note pad and #2 pencil

My Facebook

Thanks, anyone have any experience?

Saw it on Holmes on Homes. Does that count?
    1.5TB HDD
    3GB VRAM
    2X ASUS VN247H-P
    Wacom Intuos 4
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, SP1
    HDA 10 & HD Pro 2012
    Chief X5 & X6 w/SSA
    A note pad and #2 pencil

My Facebook

Scotts right - nomenclature should be secondary to function - it'd be nice to have a DBX as well as expanded defaults DBX - exterior, interior, no story above, I'm sure there are more....
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

Not to mention many of my clients are asking for advanced framing techniques. So far I have realized the building model is better than originally though, yet I run into issues like this that make it more frustrating. We need Chief to look at not forcing us into positions of using methods only common in certain areas of the country/world. Around here we have to have trimmers in our header config.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Framing members can be changed in the wall framing detail.
    But if you rebuild wall framing it will revert back again.
    Alan Mathews
    Chief X5
    Windows 7 professional
    2x AMD 4180
    2x GeForce 560

Quote Originally Posted by ALAN MATHEWS View Post
    Framing members can be changed in the wall framing detail.
    But if you rebuild wall framing it will revert back again.
    Unless you check "retain wall framing" in the wall DBX
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Vancouver Island - British Columbia - Canada
    The framing requirements here on Vancouver Island vary because of seismic data. Some regions want a header (lintel) over all opens whether they are single 2x4s trimmer and a double 2x4 w/ 1/2" spacer over 2-6 door opening. There isn't a wall in some areas that are considered non-structural because they may all have to be a brace wall panel, or shear wall. I have stopped using the header category in the window and door schedules and draw in a data block for headers with reference numbers for each component. Time consuming and a pain in the butt, but I don't have a choice. I would love it if CA gave us a dbx so we could indicate each header in the window and door headers in the schedule.

Blu wood is one of several unique products we use here in Canada. One of the most common called for items is Pinkwood ( www.pinkwood.ca ). It's a fire retardant coated engineered wood by a company out of Calgary Alberta. Insurance companies up here give people a break on the cost of fire insurance if they use this product, as well as other products like steel roofs and cementouous siding (Hardi Plank). We also use a lot of double exterior walls in the far north and pack the walls and the attics with up to R-60 each. Rigid insulation in the floors and semi rigid hung on the exterior walls is also common. People love Roxul insulation and out sells pink 2 to 1 in some regions. ICF is till not that common because of termites.

I think sharing of regional product information here is a good idea. Products offered in one region may not have made it to others yet and it's a good way of introducing products to those of us around the globe who may have a need for them. It is also a good way to see how others use products that may help someone overcome a design issue. The software is common, but the products and practices are not.
    Rich Martin
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Residential Draftsman/Designer
    Really really fast Toshiba Computer with
    all sorts of bright lights and things that go "Bing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    The framing requirements here on Vancouver Island vary because of seismic data. Some regions want a header (lintel) over all opens whether they are single 2x4s trimmer and a double 2x4 w/ 1/2" spacer over 2-6 door opening. There isn't a wall in some areas that are considered non-structural because they may all have to be a brace wall panel, or shear wall. I have stopped using the header category in the window and door schedules and draw in a data block for headers with reference numbers for each component. Time consuming and a pain in the butt, but I don't have a choice. I would love it if CA gave us a dbx so we could indicate each header in the window and door headers in the schedule.
    Chief Architect developers have made comments to refute the idea of spending too much time in 2D tools, since they think time should be spent on refining the building model process so most everything is contained in the model. Though I don't think I fully agree, considering the present state of the app, there are many who do agree with their modus operandi concerning development focus.

Considering that, I think this would be a mandatory necessity for that stated goal. We HAVE TO have complete control of our framing model if we are to get useful data from it - and even accurate drawings. Its impractical to think someone could go around every model changing stick-by-stick of the framing to match their needs. Chief needs to re-work the system ASAP so we have full control and virtually every configuration possible out of the box - and then for specialty areas the ability to change the framing a piece at a time.

I hope CA is paying attention, since right now the framing modeling has very little practical use to many users.

This video is how it should be done. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKxaLdD0_6Y

Check out how you can select each wall or opening to change that specific opening. I am salivating at that video.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

I approach Chief's automated framing as the tool that creates everything repetitive. Anything specialized needs to be modeled. I usually plan on modeling each beam, stair opening, etc... as I usually have conditions where some beams are dropped, some are flush, some cantilever.

I 100% agree that the framing of pocket doors should fit in the "everything repetitive" category.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Unless you check "retain wall framing" in the wall DBX
    Perry, is that a global setting? Retaining all wall framing? Or is it avalable wall segment by wall segment?
    I know I often end up locking roofs and foundations. Since I mostly do additions the auto tools stop working for me somewhere along the way - I get a roof or foundation condition that CA can't define. Would the same happen with framing? I try to develop a very accurate as built, then go as far as I can in my design process before I lock things.
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

wall by wall in the wall DBX, only lock the walls that have special condidions
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor