Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

headers interior framing??

So I was reading another post that was criticizing CA for placing the wrong headers in pocket doors. At first I couldn't understand the relevance of the issue, since other than exterior doors or a pocket door on a bearing wall, there wouldn't be any special header for any interior framed wall. Then, it hit me that Chief frames ALL doors with headers, regardless whether they are interior or on a bearing wall - I then tried it and sure enough, EVERY door has a header.

Is there a way to turn this off for interior walls (except bearing)? That is not right.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Every opening needs a header, the question is how large. Need a DBX so we can define header size for every opening.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

If you mean "any" framing member for the term "header" than yes, but most the time that member is simply a corresponding 2x plate sized (single) lintel - not even turned on edge - with 2x framing vertically framed to the top plate(s). I guess you could say its a header, but I don't call that out in any way as a header on my plans so as not to cause confusion when I do want a header in a bearing wall line (specifically).

Yes, we need to be able to set headers per door - however, the "default" for interior framed walls (unless its called out as a bearing line) should be framed with a plate lintel, and vertical framing above. That's how its really framed most the time in the field.

In fact, here is a detail used for interior double pocket door:

http://www.johnsonhardware.com/image...NVERGINGRO.jpg
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Every opening needs a header, the question is how large. Need a DBX so we can define header size for every opening.
    and maybe take it one step further and have header size automatically generated by the opening size or span via user defined parameters.
    Matt Taylor
    Newcastle NSW Australia

Chief X5
    Intel i7-2670QM 2.20GHz
    8GB Ram
    1GB GEForce GT555M
    Win7 64-Bit

It is still a header. We should have he ability to size as we see fit. How accurate can a cut list be if CA is specing 4x6 when we know a flat 2x4 will work.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by Mattyt12 View Post
    and maybe take it one step further and have header size automatically generated by the opening size or span via user defined parameters.
    Of course that would be the ultimate goal, (can already do that to some extent), but I know that if I have a 4' opening, but I have a girder truss sitting on it, a 4x4 won't work, I may need a 4x12. We cannot make that change.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    It is still a header. We should have he ability to size as we see fit. How accurate can a cut list be if CA is specing 4x6 when we know a flat 2x4 will work.
    LOL - I guess we can call it whatever - you call it a header, and I will call it a lintel plate. Since a lot of my plans contain language like "ALL HEADERS TO BE "XYZ" UNO", I wouldn't want to have to make additional references to cover interior door framing not on a bearing line/load. I can tell you framers in the field don't commonly refer to that as a header - at least around here. In fact, I was a project today where the framer asked me: "do any of these interior walls have headers?"...and he meant: "is there an interior bearing line?". You are correct though, it is a header regardless.

I think control over these areas is mandatory for Chief to add. Regardless of term, the fact is how we frame exterior walls is nearly ALWAYS different than how we treat non-bearing interior walls. Chief is not showing this correct at all.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

I just looked it up - its called a "head trimmer". I guess that makes more sense, since most the time when you place a beam header in, you would still need the head trimmer. So in many ways its really NOT a header if we want Chief to frame the condition correctly. Yes, some still call it a header, but when you use an actual beam member for a header, you still want/need the head trimmer in addition (framed the same orientation as the plate).

Chief should have that head trimmer in as an option - PLUS a header or NO header for interior walls, with jack stud framing above.

Some may think this isn't necessary, but for all the people who want Chief to provide build accurate models that detail properly for every region (since there is variation), this level of discussion is required.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	page_007_jack_stud_diagram.gif 
Views:	662 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	60213  
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyprc View Post
    I just looked it up - its called a "head trimmer". I guess that makes more sense, since most the time when you place a beam header in that area, you would still need the head trimmer. So in many ways it really IS NOT a header in reality.

Chief should have that head trimmer in as an option - PLUS a header or NO header for interior walls.
    I don't think it matters what we call it. The point is there is a piece of lumber over the opening, and we should be able to define the size, for several reasons, one being able to get a more accurate lumber cut list.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Yes, I agree it doesn't matter what we call it. But we need that trimmer to be an option to frame in. We often frame that trimmer below a beam header for several reasons - and Chief just doesn't show it - or have an option to show that trimmer. I used to be able to spec a 6x header beam on my exterior walls, but energy code doesn't permit that any longer. So that trimmer exists even WITH the beam in most cases. I'll try to find a picture to illustrate.

Name:	BSI030_Figure_09.jpg 
Views:	842 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	60214   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagesCA3C4I8B.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	60215   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1731832221_web_labor_framing_020613_tcm10-1808529.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	60216  
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

I know this is off topic but it always interests me the different building methodologies of other countries and pine framing that isnt blue?

Name:	IMG_8054.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	60217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8255.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	60218  
    Matt Taylor
    Newcastle NSW Australia

Chief X5
    Intel i7-2670QM 2.20GHz
    8GB Ram
    1GB GEForce GT555M
    Win7 64-Bit

Quote Originally Posted by Mattyt12 View Post
    I know this is off topic but it always interests me the different building methodologies of other countries and pine framing that isnt blue?
    That is treated wood for fungal issues they have in tropical environments. I've spec'd similar things in homes I've done in Hawaii and China. Although in China 90% of the home is concrete - even the roof is a vaulted concrete pour.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Its treated yes but its used to deter termites, along with the orange damp proof course looking stuff
    Matt Taylor
    Newcastle NSW Australia

Chief X5
    Intel i7-2670QM 2.20GHz
    8GB Ram
    1GB GEForce GT555M
    Win7 64-Bit

Yes, it does deter termites too, but its primarily for the fungus and mold in those environments.

http://www.bluwood.com/
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

There is a place in framing defaults to change the header size.
    That's not the same as what you want though....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	275 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	60219

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4