Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Gosh Ben, do you really want to share your deep dark secrets. There are some people here who would not dare to help out others. Of course they will be interested in learning what others have to share...... we will not name names but we all know who they are.
    Scott, I'm betting you have forgotten more shared "deep dark secrets" than I will ever know. Without help from you and others on this site I would not be were I am. Besides, I believe it's good for the industry if we are all better.
    Ben Johnson
    B&B Builders
    Rigby, ID
    Chief X5
    Windows 7
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40 GHz
    16 GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

Ben, your work is top notch - truly.

Can you share with me your method for the profile lines? All I do right now is draw poly lines over the plan generated lines.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Vancouver Island - British Columbia - Canada
    Nice work Ben.
    Rich Martin
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Residential Draftsman/Designer
    Really really fast Toshiba Computer with
    all sorts of bright lights and things that go "Bing!"

Johnny, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "Profile Lines", but if it helps, I have set up many user defined layers, and also thanks to others on the site explaining how to do it, I have (12) annotation sets relating to the different layout views I use. I also found that a specific "Layer" can be defined differently for each annotation set which takes some work to set up, but is very powerful.
    Ben Johnson
    B&B Builders
    Rigby, ID
    Chief X5
    Windows 7
    16 GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

Ben, my BITDEFENDER blocks me from going on your site, not sure what that is about. I assume what JPC is asking about is how you make your elevations "pop". I think some users draw HEAVY cad lines around the roof and such to make the elevations "pop". I am assuming you simply use a heavier line style for your ROOF LAYER......
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott, never had anyone tell me our site was blocked by their virus software ... not sure why that is. I'll ask our web designer about it.

Web admin says the website looks good, but our blog (Wordpress) got hacked and he is on it. Thanks for the heads-up!

I do have a "Annotation Set" for elevations with specific heavy line definitions. Line weight for roof planes in my elevation annotation set is "25", walls is "35", windows is "10"
    Ben Johnson
    B&B Builders
    Rigby, ID
    Chief X5
    Windows 7
    16 GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

Quote Originally Posted by bbbuilders View Post
    Scott, never had anyone tell me our site was blocked by their virus software ... not sure why that is. I'll ask our web designer about it.

Web admin says the website looks good, but our blog (Wordpress) got hacked and he is on it. Thanks for the heads-up! ................."
    I got on through my IPhone in the end, still no go on PC, maybe it is at my end.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

OK, I'm pretty convinced that having General Notes, etc in the Default Layout as "Live RT" is the way to go. It makes editing much easier and keeps the Plan File uncluttered. I also have Standard Details in the Layout but it's fairly easy to just copy some from the Library - as long as the Library is kept organized so the details are easy to find. Still, if it's done once in the Default Layout you don't need to do it again for each project.

The big difference for me is that all of those things are editable directly in the layout without needing to switch to a view in the Plan.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Web admin says the website looks good, but our blog (Wordpress) got hacked and he is on it. Thanks for the heads-up!

I do have a "Annotation Set" for elevations with specific heavy line definitions. Line weight for roof planes in my elevation annotation set is "25", walls is "35", windows is "10"
    For me those numbers look a little light but maybe your settings are different than mine. I have my walls at 55 windows at 35, roof planes 75.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Perry,

As you know, these numbers can vary depending on the Line Weight Scale setting in Page Setup.

It would be interesting to see if this setting is different for both users.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Glen, I use the typical oob 100mm
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    Perry,

As you know, these numbers can vary depending on the Line Weight Scale setting in Page Setup.

It would be interesting to see if this setting is different for both users.
    My line weight scale is set at 50.0 mm
    Ben Johnson
    B&B Builders
    Rigby, ID
    Chief X5
    Windows 7
    16 GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

There are many standards out there for line weights. For example ISO or the National CAD Standard. For the most part the standards specify line weights in mm.

Our out of box default is to use 1/100 mm so the translation is very easy if you want to follow a mm standard. We choose this to make it easy to follow the most common published standards.

The standard ISO sizes range from 0.13 mm to 2 mm. Which in the default out of box Chief units would be 13 - 200.

In some cases I've seen these same weights specified to the nearest thousandth of an inch. You could easily set that up as well if you to prefer to think in inches.

The standard that you choose is entirely up to you. Chief gives you the ability to precisely size the lines the way you prefer.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

My line weight scale is set at 50.0 mm
    There you go, that 'splains it.

I like the OOB 1/100mm setting as it relates directly to the old Rotring pen sizes like .25mm, 5.0mm, etc. that us old folk are used to.
    This means that a line weight of 25 is a .25mm pen, a line weight of 50 is a 5.0mm pen, etc.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

P - have you been able (or anyone else for that matter) been able to get a macro to report the text (A1, A2) to the shet index? That would be really, really neat. In the past weeks I A) Added a sheet but forgot to update the index, got kicked back in plan check and B) Added a sheet in the index but forgot to past the PDF into the layou page so nothing printed - again, got kicked back in plan check. Both user error, both easily avoided with tight integration between sheets, sheet numbering and the sheet index.
    Be great to see the same things for callouts and details, I' know there have been threas on this topic in the past.
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6