Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyprc View Post
    Richard, when you say specifications are you referring to typical plan specs, or the "whole enchilada" detail finish specs on full size sheets - as part of your architectural plan document?
    I'm talking about "whole enchilada" specs, but I try to put the specs on the relevant plan pages, for example, the electrical spec on the electrical plan page. That way the sub doesn't have the opportunity to say, "The general contractor didn't give me the specifications page when I bid this job." Wish I had a buck for every time I've heard that.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

Quote Originally Posted by RMorrison View Post
    I'm talking about "whole enchilada" specs, but I try to put the specs on the relevant plan pages, for example, the electrical spec on the electrical plan page. That way the sub doesn't have the opportunity to say, "The general contractor didn't give me the specifications page when I bid this job." Wish I had a buck for every time I've heard that.
    Very true statement about contractor bidding. Not to mention when contractors go bid out "their" cost allowances that have no relation to the finish grade of what we propose....yet the client can't understand or relate allowances with quality - so that multi-hour long discussion occurs relating allowances with finish specs.

Recently, I've been pricing out (with Amazon etc) the packages I use, and then noting the allowance for the bid process. Saves the contractor and me time.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyprc View Post
    Recently, I've been pricing out (with Amazon etc) the packages I use, and then noting the allowance for the bid process. Saves the contractor and me time.
    Could you say more about this? I have no idea what you're talking about regarding "packages".
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    If Perry or Richard (or anyone else) would care to share their Layout Template - that would be better than a Banana Split
    While you're at it, would you like the keys to the car and the house, too?
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64

While you're at it, would you like the keys to the car and the house, too?
    Sure, I'd really like to drive your Ferrari

ps: Perry might be willing to sell the house for a Banana Split
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    I use both ,Macro's for page numbers ( 11 of 22) and place text for pages (A1, A2, S1, S2 ). Very easy to insert or delete pages using A1.1, A1.2 method. Wendy's trick.
    Hmmm.....might have to look into that. Thanks for the tip.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Could you say more about this? I have no idea what you're talking about regarding "packages".
    What I do is create plumbing (trim), appliance, electrical (trim), hardware (door/window/bath), finish surfaces, and cabinet packages (etc etc) that are current styles and different motifs. My work with developers and doing my own projects spurred this on, and nowadays with Amazon you can get great pricing in a snap. Amazon has thousands of resellers who market virtually everything through their site - and my best friend works for Amazon, so he gets the credit for leading me to that system. This way I can create pre-defined allowances for builders that make the bid process a snap - and I know the finish specs will be very close to the quality level defined by the client. I find 90% of my clients prefer starting with something pre-defined (specs - not design) and then make small incremental changes instead of starting from scratch.

Me having current pricing is key. I get the builders I work with to send me "shell" pricing data monthly - so I can track costs. This saves me more time that the typical bid process, and my clients love having known numbers sooner in the process. My first meeting with clients I am talking budget and finish grades, and reasonable expectations therein.

Also, some builders have me get the order from Amazon so they deliver onsite - plumbing rough, electrical rough, finishes (tile etc), hardware......it revolutionized my process. Its like a sweats catalog with instant pricing.

http://www.amazon.com/Dornbracht-Ult...rds=dornbracht

http://www.amazon.com/International-...porcelain+tile

http://www.amazon.com/Dacor-Epicure-...efrigerator+48

http://www.amazon.com/Wright-Product...=door+hardware
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Specifications are all there, too. A text block for each CSI section.
    Did you just use the CSI Short Form Specifications?
    How much modification was needed?
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Unless you have said already somewhere else (talking to Richard)- I'm very curious how you print your plans then. Are you creating Arch B,C,D,E sheets and laying that spec out throughout the plan - or are you printing more a book with 11x17 sheet sizes?

I've created my own residential specifications method that I think makes more sense to me, and clients/bank/suppliers/subs/builders love. Commercial projects we hire spec writers to compile our data into formatted specs, or leave non-structural to the interior designer.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Johnny,

There are may Specification options. If I'm going to be doing a large commercial project I will probably go with MasterSpec and provide a Spec Book. OTOH, for smaller commercial & residential projects I just use a very abridged version. I generally like to have this on the first couple of sheets. In addition, I will put product specific notes on the sheets where the discipline is located. Door Notes added to the bottom of the Door Schedule, etc.

I try to keep my projects on Arch D sheet size and my Default Layout for that size is going to be very complete. I can easily morph that into Arch E size but for smaller sheet sizes I will probably go with something much less complete.
    Windows 8.1

They look like this: http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....x-in-plan-view. I started somewhere many years ago (from probably 4 different sources) and they have evolved to where they are now.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64

Its always interesting and helpful to hear/see how other people do certain things. I guess everyone has to find a system for them that works. I've recently been trying to stay with Arch C (residential only)- even using 3/16" scale with plan checkers who allow that. "Most" have said how much more they prefer the Arch C size than larger size plans - so they let me using different scaling to accomplish this with the understanding I keep things nice and legible.

Richard, I now better understand then why you prefer ArchiCAD to finish your plans out - you need more complex schedule features NOT in CA currently.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

For anyone interested you can see how we do our plans/layout by going to

http://www.bbbuilders.com/services/plans

Select Cowboy Lot 22 and download the plans. Other than the obvious (elevations, plans, sections) most other items are part of our standard layout, including the engineering notes and details. It takes some effort, but once you have a Layout set up the in a way that works for you, your job will be much easier and more professional.
    Ben Johnson
    B&B Builders
    Rigby, ID
    Chief X5
    Windows 7
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40 GHz
    16 GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

Gosh Ben, do you really want to share your deep dark secrets. There are some people here who would not dare to help out others. Of course they will be interested in learning what others have to share...... we will not name names but we all know who they are.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Ben, I only saw a couple drawings and I will tell say you have very clean design/work - its obvious you know what you are doing. Thank you for sharing your info like that, very helpful.

Can you share with me how you do your profile lines???
    X5
    Wacom 24HD