Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    lgswe is offline Registered User Promoted
    I received a REPLY for the solution and a picture of what it will look like from Tech Support for the problem I'm having building the railing wall on my steps and landing. I almost fell out of my chair. Is this what we pay our SSA fees for? I felt I had to pass their answer along to all those that have really tried to help me out with the difficult problem I'm having trying to build this railing wall. I'm also sending along my reply and please tell me if you think I was "out of line" I just can't believe the answer/solution they came up with! The way it sounds (and they may be right) is that I went about creating this set of steps all wrong. If that was or is the case then shouldn't they have at least mentioned the "correct way" or if there is a way. I must stop now and get a good strong cup of java. Have a great day.

Hello Larry,
    Thank you for contacting Technical Support.

I have reviewed your stairs and given the way you created this I would recommend the following:

- Turn the railing walls invisible.
    - On floor 1 trace over the stairs with straight terrain walls.

The effect will be the one shown in the attached image.

Kirk Clemons
    Technical Support Analyst

My Reply-----Kirk....This attachment looks NOTHING like the railing I show in my model. If you don't have a good answer, just say so. If CA is incapable of doing this simple railing wall, just say so, but don't tell me the way it should be done is how you stated with the results shown. How should it been created to give the results I am asking for?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA Reply.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	60212  
    Larry Sweeney
    Designer/Builder/Restorations/Period Cabinetmaker since 1972

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Reply to my reply.....

Hello Larry,
    I am sorry to hear that you do not like the suggestion I made.

I made no mention that the way you did this is wrong I simply made a suggestion that provides the result that I thought you were looking for.

If you are not going to be happy with any result that is not accomplished using your method then you are not required by any means to take the suggestion.

Chief Architect has no tools or settings that will force the railing you built to generate correctly. I will send your plan to our development staff for review. For now you will need to find an alternative method of generating whatever result you are looking for.

The soffit tool or Polyline solid tool may allow you to build any shape you need.

Thank you,
    Kirk

I'm enjoying my coffee.
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Try this video Larry, didn't work out the top cap, but with a little bit of work you can probably get a close approximation.

http://youtu.be/ilZB83jdu6I
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I think the molding top cap is faulty, it never works for me either.

Scott, did you try follow stairs in the video, if you want railing to follow stairs, you have to check that.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Scott, did you try follow stairs in the video, if you want railing to follow stairs, you have to check that.
    I with you would do a vid on this, for some reason, I can never make it work.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott.....Thanks for taking the time to make the video. To be honest, I came to that solution early on, but I didn't like the molding solution. That's why I was trying to figure out why the "wall railing" solution wouldn't work and contacted Support. To be honest I still don't know why you can't build railing walls, but at this point I don't care. I thought by using the railing walls the cap molding detail might "come together". It was going to bug me till I found out one way or another. Have a great day.
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    I with you would do a vid on this, for some reason, I can never make it work.
    It's hard to make a video with something that doesn't work good.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    It's hard to make a video with something that doesn't work good.
    What you talkin about brotha, I do it all the time.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

I'm talking about Larry's problem, not the railing, but the cap on top. The molding just don't connect well at the corners or joints. I have to fix it in elevation ( Yes using cad)
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor