Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lgswe is offline Registered User Promoted

Railing wall on landing problem

This set of steps is outside between two different elevations that I'll be showing added fill at the top step later. I have two sets of steps with a landing between. I "straight" flared the lower set of steps by using angled walls that are built inside a room made up of invisible walls. What I'm trying to do now is to run a railing wall with a special cap rail moulding on top of the railing wall down both sides of the top steps, across the sides of the landing and down both sides of the lower steps. I've played around with it for the last two hours and I can't get the railing to show on the landing. It has to be something simple I'm not doing right but I'm "brain dead". I'm hoping someone has a quick answer so I can get on with a lot of detailing I need to do to this "simple" project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steps.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	60194  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Larry Sweeney
    Designer/Builder/Restorations/Period Cabinetmaker since 1972

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Larry,

I'm not sure, but it might be because this stairway and landing are on Level 0
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Joe........I raised everything up to level one, but I still have the same thing. Just to be sure I removed the wall and then rebuilt them and I still am having the same problem.
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

I worked on this "simple" set of steps for hours and got nowhere. I tried changing the railing wall to "normal walls" and then adjust the height to match rails. This worked (looked correct), but when I tried adding the rail cap molding to the top of the wall I got a strange connection (attachments) with the molding where the wall on the landing angled and started down the stepsI'm still hoping someone has an answer. If I'm doing something stupid--my bad--let the shoe fit. In the mean time I did send it to support this morning. I'm hoping I can get a answer soon from someone. I have an appointment with the client in 3 hours. Have a great day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAIL CONNECTION 2.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	60202   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAIL CONNECTION 3.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	60203   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAIL CONNECTION.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	60204  
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Wish I could help, I tried, never had much luck with these things. I typically leave it a wall (not a railing), and adjust heights in elevation view.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott....I've always used regular walls before also. Because "problems" sometime develop later on with adjusting walls, I thought why not just use railing walls--my bad I guess. The "molding problem" I mention has me scratching my head using regular wall. I don't know if is due to the size of the molding or what. I thought I had a pretty good grasp on using and adjusting the moldings after studing your videos (thank for taking the time to make them). Any ideas on this molding problem?
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

3D moldings are tricky for me, no idea.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Might be a bug, I have also had that problem. The corners just don't join correctly.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

3D Molding PLines will always have that problem when not in a single plane. Try making each segment on a different layer. Then the moldings should be perpendicular to the PLine Segments individually. But they will probably still have some intersection problems.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

To Sketchup users.......I've worked very little in Sketchup, but is what I'm trying to do with my railing cap molding on top of my "railing/railing angled" wall able to be done in Sketchup? If so I'll attempt it there and then bring it into CA as a symbol. If it can be done am I asking to much of myself, as inexperienced (very little) Sketchup user to attempt this? I postponed my client meeting till tomorrow.
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Yes, Sketchup can handle this fairly easily with the "follow-me" tool.

That said, the principle of the "follow-me" tool is what Chief uses as a molding line. Have you tried not having the modeling "connected" to the walls? Meaning draw a molding line that uses the same X/Y/Z as the wall ends. Does this make sense?

I'd draw simple lines on top of the wall, and then convert to a molding poly, and attach your molding profile. Take the wall "connection" problem out of the process. Essentially Sketchup would do the exact same thing.

This will leave a start and end problem perhaps, so I would make the molding 1/2 and run lines on both sides fully connected. In fact, try to convert that into a counter or something.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

You need separate walls (change the Wall Types so they don't become one wall) and make the walls along the stair runs "Follow Stair" and the walls on the Landing "Not Follow Stair"

You might need to edit the exterior wall layer so that it's slightly different in thickness for the landing.
    Windows 8.1

Johnny......I "think" I have tried everything you mentioned---I think. I've run individual moldings, made angles, turned off moldings on some lines, tried to get a "connection look" where the two moldings come together at the angle and a couple (well, a lot more) of other things. I always get a good "connection at the point where the line representing the molding is (I hope that makes sense), but the farther away from that point (wide molding profile) the worst the connection looks (attachments in earlier thread). I've come to the reservation that I (and the client) will have to look past this phenomenom (or whatever the H*** you want to call it and I've called it many names) and get on with this "3-4 hour" project. Have a great day. I am---no matter what goes on with this model.
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    You need separate walls (change the Wall Types so they don't become one wall) and make the walls along the stair runs "Follow Stair" and the walls on the Landing "Not Follow Stair"

You might need to edit the exterior wall layer so that it's slightly different in thickness for the landing.
    Joe... Where do I find th "Follow Stair"/"Not Follow Stair" dbx?
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Larry,

The best solution I could come up with was to replace the Landing with a Court. Insert a wide opening along the two long sides of the Court. This eliminates most (if not all) of the Railing problems
    Windows 8.1