Conversion between programs

I have someone wanting to do sub-contract work for me, doing only the actual drafting of the plans, using autocad release 12 with auto architect(?). How easy would it be to convert the files back and forth as we would be working? Is this even worth my time? I am swamped with work and am looking for some help, but if this is gonna take more of my time, forget it!

------------------
    Dawn
    Vaughan's Home Design
    www.vhdesign.com

Dawn,
    It has been my experience that with differend CAD programs there is allways a problem. The way to exchange the files with this person will be DXF, but I am not familiar with auto architect so what layers you are getting back is not known. Tell the person what layers things should be on for you to be able to work with the drawings is a must then how easy it is to do so is an other matter. I had
    considered using other programs as I own several and have come to the realisation that the person working for me has to use chief, and when I contract for people who do have differend programs I dxf out, one plus, they like the simplicity of layers created by chief. Start with a simple exchange of drawings and make sure you give your standards, style etc.
    I hope it helped, Jan

------------------

Dawn:

I dxf to ACAD all the time. No real problems and Chief 6.0 works much better than 97 did for both imports and exports. Here are several things to consider:

1. If you name any CAD blocks that you create in Chief do not use spaces or dashes or anything else that ACAD does not like or it will not open the dxf file.

2. You can export 2D or 3D so ask what type of file they want.

3. If you plan to do this then if you don't already have ACAD (or at least ACAD lite) you should consider getting it. Once you export from chief and do most of your production in another program their isn't much point in bringing it back into Chief.

Hope that helps.

Larry

[This message has been edited by Larry Kumpost (edited 07 September 1999).]

Dawn: my Engr. & I DXF thru ACAD lite . You can pick up discounted copies of ACAD Lite 98 now because Lite 2000 is on the shelves. ACAD LITE will handle Chief easier than ACAD14, which is the version he does most of his work in.

------------------
    mfsmith

Larry & Michel
    Why do you tell Dawn to buy some form of ACAD? The person intending to work for her allready owns it and Dawn will have no problem getting the DXF back into CHIEF. The problems I talked about are the architectural add-onns that can create a umangus lot of layer to do there job properly and CHief nor any other programe would know what to do with them, besides the info a program creates to do it's bit get's lost with DXF. So, yes all you would need is a naked acad but her chief will do the job just as well, refer to all the Chief uswers that DXF all their elevation sections back into Chief. As Larry said in his 3rd item after something has been done in another pakage what is the use to bring it into Chief? Therefore instead of Dawn to purchase another acad another Chief look the answer to me, besides the learning curve is shorter and she has control of her office standards and consistency in drawing style.
    My comments are to be taken constructive, Jan

------------------

Jan:

The purchase of ACD lite may not be necessary but since it is not very expensive I think it is worth having. One reason is that sometimes you can have problems with a dxf file (V6.0 works better) and I think it is a good idea to open the dxf files to check them before sending them to a consultant. Having a program that is compatible with the consultant also makes checking progress files a little easier. You can open the dwg file add comments and send it back.

Larry

I am not realy familiar with AutoArchitect very much, but I see some problems. If the two of your are going to try and work on the same plan going back and forth makeing changes I don't think you can do it the way you want to. You cannonot bring a plan from any other program in the world and work with it natively in Chief. Chief doesn't work that way. If you want to start a project and export it and turn it over to him to take to completion that's different. If he can take a dxf file and read it (which acad will do... dunno about autoarch) he can then have it. You can check his progress by useing AutoDesk's free AutoView or other dwg viewers without a hitch. You can also take a dxf into Chief to look at but I'm going to put in my 2¢ and say that chief is not a tool to colaborate with other programs. You can do a one time conversion out or redraw in, but it's not worth tradeing back and forth. Viewing the others' product however can be done fine.

------------------
    Caleb E. Maclennan
    Designer / Draftsman
    The 3D Design & Build Center

www.3DBuildCenter.com

Dear Jan (Sphinx) my only point is that in working with Architects & Surveyors & Professional engineers, the common thread is AutoCad & the cheapest way to export to them & cleanest is thru Acad Lite. You're absolutely right that it is not going to go back & forth. But ... from Chief to AutoCad the easiest way for me was Acad Lite.

------------------
    mfsmith

BTW: as a Design / Build Remodeler I can't say enough about Chief. I had a beta version of AutoCad in the mid 80's & decided that I would never achieve proficiency so I abandoned it and went back to my drawing board until '98. After looking at all the available CAD for home design I chose Chief and have no regrets.

------------------
    mfsmith

Michael (and Dawn)
    I thought that the original question has to do with Dawn using a sub-contractor to do work for her. Which is a different situation than exchanging files with consultants, be it engineers or others. With exchange of programs we all have valid points, I just tried to answer it from the perspective of dealing with people you have working for you on your design/working drawings. And as I stated earlier each office allready has it's own standards and each pakage has its own strnght which only works if it recognizes layers or objects and onces you DXF that info is muddled. If Dawn is to contract for another person I agree that something like LT would be useful for final cleanup but I think she wonders if all this exchange to different programs is worth the hassle of employing this person, so I say if you have to much work give this person a copy of Chief, the learning curve is short and the money will pay off because of the convienence this will provide.
    Thanks for reading this, Jan