Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post

Scott, you know you can copy paste in the ruby text box, no need to retype it. typing *****
    Yep, I know, sometimes I just can't think quick enough to do it the fast way.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    I don't mean to be argumentative because I think you are siding with me on this, but what you said is a contradiction. By putting the text and annotation in layout vs. in plan, eliminates this issue you described. Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying.
    Theoretically, I suppose, yes, but putting the annotations in the layout causes even worse issues. I put everything in the plan except for Title block info, general notes, PDF's of T-24 docs and other data, a vicinity map, and maybe scale notes.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Quote Originally Posted by sutcac View Post
    Theoretically, I suppose, yes, but putting the annotations in the layout causes even worse issues. I put everything in the plan except for Title block info, general notes, PDF's of T-24 docs and other data, a vicinity map, and maybe scale notes.
    We are in agreement, I was confused by your previous post.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

It would really be nice if we had a choice of picking a rectangular region to send to Layout, rather than "Current Screen". Sometimes I want something that's not the same proportions as the screen, without having to crop/resize in Layout. This would also make it possible to have some CAD boxes on a Layer in the Plan that would correspond to the Layout box.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

BTW JC, you posted somewhere that you were putting you SCHEDULES on the schedule layer. I did that at one time, but now I put the schedules in a CAD DETAIL. In a detail the layer is not as important, but that is not the point. The point is if you have a schedule in a CAD DETAIL, you can have the plan open in one window and the schedule open in another window. Much easier to work with.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Scott,

So how does using a CAD Detail relate to the Layer? I can understand if the CAD Detail is created from a Layerset that only has the Schedule displayed, but otherwise it is just a way of accessing the View/Layerset from which the CD Detail was created. IOW, it simply works as a way of putting that view into the Project Browser. Of course, that does provide the extra views - which will be more useable with X6 (Multiple Monitors)

In my Default Layout I prefer to have General Notes, etc as Rich Text Blocks so that they can be easily edited. I don't want that stuff in the Plan. Schedules in the Plan, yes simply because of the separate views. I will probably use a separate Layer/Layerset for each Schedule.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Scott,

So how does using a CAD Detail relate to the Layer? I can understand if the CAD Detail is created from a Layerset that only has the Schedule displayed, but otherwise it is just a way of accessing the View/Layerset from which the CD Detail was created. IOW, it simply works as a way of putting that view into the Project Browser. Of course, that does provide the extra views - which will be more useable with X6 (Multiple Monitors)

In my Default Layout I prefer to have General Notes, etc as Rich Text Blocks so that they can be easily edited. I don't want that stuff in the Plan. Schedules in the Plan, yes simply because of the separate views. I will probably use a separate Layer/Layerset for each Schedule.
    You don't need a separate layer/layer set if you put each schedule in it's own CAD DETAIL. Then send the cad detail to layout. The schedule is in the plan file, but not on the plan itself. This way you can have each schedule appear on your screen in a separate window at the same time as well as the plan. Maybe we are saying the same thing.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Scott, anything you put in a cad detail tends to slow down the program so I never use any cad details, if I need a new detail ,I always put it in the layout or lib.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Scott, anything you put in a cad detail tends to slow down the program so I never use any cad details, if I need a new detail ,I always put it in the layout or lib.
    At one time I had my STRUCTURAL CAD DETAILS in a CAD DETAIL within the plan, and I do believe that slowed things down, so I now have a separate file for cad details.

But do your really think having a TEXT BLOCK or a SCHEDULE in a CAD DETAIL slows the program down?

What is the difference between having a schedule in the plan or a having a schedule within a cad detail? It seems like the same thing to me.

Can we get somebody from CA to confirm this?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

But do your really think having a TEXT BLOCK or a SCHEDULE in a CAD DETAIL slows the program down?
    I know there is a point where it will slow down but I just don't know exactly where that point is. I just don't do it because I don't know.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by rlackore View Post
    So you're talking about the ability to see a layout overlay for every plan view you've sent to layout, even if the layout page has multiple plan views sent to it?

My solution is to put as much of my text and notations in the layout, so all I have to worry about while arranging the layout is to block out enough space for the plan view.

But maybe I'm still not tracking what you're trying to achieve.
    I put standard note blocks in layout. Notes and CAD specific to a plam\elevation\section view need to be part of that view(IMO), so that when I rearrange the layout all the associated CAD and annotation moves with the view.
    The bounding box should be refernced as part of the anno set - the framin view bounding box would only show in the framing view anno set and so on.
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Matt,

I'm trying to understand the purpose. For my purposes I just want the Plan View to be centered relative to the center of the Layout Box that I transferred from. That gets me to where I need to be for editing.

What else are you trying to accomplish?
    From time to time things change in the plan, maybe I add a note block, maybe the building gets a foot bigger. Usually I'm in a hurry. If I 'm not careful, the layout box will clip the enlarged extents of the plan graphic and requires adjustment. Sometimes my layout sheets are pretty tight and I'd need to go back to the plan and ajdust something in the plan. It would be nice to see that while still in plan view so that I didn't have to go back and forth. It would be nice to have to check the layout, because I would already know, because there was a graphic display on my monitor. Some CADs will even give you a warning when you try to draw outside the limits you've defined.
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

Just use "Current screen" when sending to the layout and you get exactly that,. its is one way of doing it.
    But, once I send th ecurrent screen, get a call from my client and make the room a foot bigger - the current screens not current anymore and doesn't display my new dim strin in layout view, the foundation guy doesn't see the change, neither do the truss yard and my room gets built a foot to small.
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

I'm not saying that at all. I'm just trying to say, spend more time to get your model correct and everything will spread like butter. All the different plans will automatically generate and done.

Scott, you know you can copy paste in the ruby text box, no need to retype it. typing *****

JPC, thank for pointing that out because you know I would never be mean like the troll
    P - what do you do about the conditions CA doesn't model? Do you model your straps and dowels at new abutting existing construction? And that troublesome new mono slab abutting existing mono slab at the same floor height.
    And if you have you have to modify a plan after its been sent to layout, how do you verify that the new, lager plan still displays correctly in layout? Regardless of how well automated you model is?
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
    P - what do you do about the conditions CA doesn't model? Do you model your straps and dowels at new abutting existing construction? And that troublesome new mono slab abutting existing mono slab at the same floor height.
    And if you have you have to modify a plan after its been sent to layout, how do you verify that the new, lager plan still displays correctly in layout? Regardless of how well automated you model is?
    I really don't have a lot of problems with mono slabs, but there are still some like , a mono slab up against a stem wall and footing, that just don't work. Like Scott says, and made video's about it. You need to have a separate footing ( usually just a thickened slab, 8") butt up against the stem wall or other slabs. That seems to work and sometimes I have to play with it to get it not to reduce the stem wall to lower down to the slab level. I think live automatic elevations would solve that problem in the future but, for right now, you have to check it prior to printing. If something just won't work in the model, I just use bubble callouts, and reference to a detail in the plan and the section is just a representation of what's needed. The architectural sections are really just a vague representation of what's going on, and the details really matter .
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor