Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Anyone got a trick for displaying the layout box in plan view?

Sure would be nice to see the layout view bounding box in the background of a plan view. Once I've got a layout pretty well setup it can be tough to adjust the view, so if I'm adding notes or graphics I fin myself bouncing back and forthe from layout to proof, back to plan to repostion, back to layout to proof - or failing to do that and adding a note half of which is invisible
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

That is really quite a good idea. You should post this in Suggestions.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

You probably mean something like the attached. Yes, it is VERY helpful. Especially being able to vary the contrast between layout and active view, and being able to instantly switch between the active view and the layout. Of course, this is a feature in an unnamed program that Chief "blows away," according to some.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layout.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	165.0 KB 
ID:	60159  
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

Oh, ........ouch.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

If you've set up your title block border in the .layout, can't you just draw a box the same size in your .plan and use that for a reference?
    CA 5 / AutoCAD / SketchUp / Artlantis / Hexagon / Genetica
    --
    Win7 Pro x64 SP1
    BOXX 8300
    Woodcrest Intel Xeon 5130 (4 cores)
    12GB ECC DDR2 667
    Nvidia Quadro FX 3500
    --
    Robert Lackore
    robl@bourildesign.com
    www.bourildesign.com

Richard - is that Archicad?...I assume so. I am very curious why you use Chief then too. Are you saying:

1. Chief is so much better/faster as concepts/layouts for homes that its worthwhile to use Chief upfront, or
    2. Archicad is so much better than Chief at construction documents its worthwhile to go between the two, or
    3. all of the above.
    4. None of above.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Layout views are different sizes, unrelated to the title block size. I can set the display in plan to show the sheet size, not altogether useless, but nowhere close to the ability to see in plan what will display in layout, while editing the plan. Imagine double clicking the layout view and instead of being "transferrred" back to plan, it just opened the plan in the layout view, but the layout still was visible in the background, as posted above....
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

Layout views are different sizes, unrelated to the title block size.
    So you're talking about the ability to see a layout overlay for every plan view you've sent to layout, even if the layout page has multiple plan views sent to it?

My solution is to put as much of my text and notations in the layout, so all I have to worry about while arranging the layout is to block out enough space for the plan view.

But maybe I'm still not tracking what you're trying to achieve.
    --
    Win7 Pro x64 SP1
    BOXX 8300
    12GB ECC DDR2 667
    Nvidia Quadro FX 3500
    --
    Robert Lackore
    robl@bourildesign.com
    www.bourildesign.com

I'd add that Scott has his "bounding" box in the main app (none layout) - its how he does his details.

If you are at 1/4 scale or whatever it is, you can create a box in layout, copy it over, and then upsize per the scale. Place on another layer, and you have a reference.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Quote Originally Posted by rlackore View Post

My solution is to put as much of my text and notations in the layout, so all I have to worry about while arranging the layout is to block out enough space for the plan view.
    So many people have told me not to do that. After GW showed me his setup I tend to agree that isn't the best way to go. I am curious what you do when you want to provide different sheet size/scale prints?
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Matt,

I'm trying to understand the purpose. For my purposes I just want the Plan View to be centered relative to the center of the Layout Box that I transferred from. That gets me to where I need to be for editing.

What else are you trying to accomplish?
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Putting text and notation in layout is the nuttiest thing. Just nutty.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Putting text and notation in layout is the nuttiest thing. Just nutty.
    Come on, it's not that nutty. There are advantages, such as not having to worry about getting my plan file all arranged to fit nicely into my layout, as mkennedy appears to be struggling to do. There are pros and cons, yes; it's the same in AutoCAD with model space and paper space. Either way, whenever you modify the drawing, you are likely having to modify/rearrange the notation - it's a matter of preference and the project parameters that dictate whether it's advantageous to use plan or layout for notation. Furthermore, my notation size isn't tied to the plan view's annotation set. When I need to produce a 1/2 size or smaller set, that's taken care of through the print dialog.
    --
    Win7 Pro x64 SP1
    BOXX 8300
    12GB ECC DDR2 667
    Nvidia Quadro FX 3500
    --
    Robert Lackore
    robl@bourildesign.com
    www.bourildesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyprc View Post
    Richard - is that Archicad?...I assume so. I am very curious why you use Chief then too. Are you saying:

1. Chief is so much better/faster as concepts/layouts for homes that its worthwhile to use Chief upfront, or
    2. Archicad is so much better than Chief at construction documents its worthwhile to go between the two, or
    3. all of the above.
    4. None of above.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

Quote Originally Posted by rlackore View Post
    Come on, it's not that nutty. There are advantages, such as not having to worry about getting my plan file all arranged to fit nicely into my layout, as mkennedy appears to be struggling to do. There are pros and cons, yes; it's the same in AutoCAD with model space and paper space. Either way, whenever you modify the drawing, you are likely having to modify/rearrange the notation - it's a matter of preference and the project parameters that dictate whether it's advantageous to use plan or layout for notation. Furthermore, my notation size isn't tied to the plan view's annotation set. When I need to produce a 1/2 size or smaller set, that's taken care of through the print dialog.
    Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllll............ I maintain it's nutty, but if it works for you, that is all that is important. I would venture to guess that 99.9999 % of the power users do not do it that way. So now you can ask yourself the question, are you smarter than 99.9999% of the power users?

Hey, that's why I like to share ideas with other users, I don't know what I don't know, and I am sure there are many users out there that have a better method than the one I use. But I will say that putting stuff in layout limits the power of the program, and I am referring specifically to anno sets and text defined by layer set, which can be very limiting if you put text and notations directly into layout vs in plan file.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall