Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Just send an e-mail, usually with a Chief file zipped and attached demonstrating the issue, to support@chiefarchitect.com They will start a support ticket and the response time is usually quite prompt. The response may be just "thanks, we'll report that to our developers for future consideration" or something to that effect, but they have said repeatedly this is better than just posting something in Suggestions.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Here is what I sent:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I’ve run across, what I believe to be, an error in Chief Architect’s handling of “standard” curb-cut apron conditions now mandated by local code authorities for prescriptive design/installation methods. I believe this relates to ADA and “best” practices of the street to curb to driveway (or sidewalk) concrete construction means and method. Attached are standard details architects/designers/planners and builders run into on nearly every new subdivision and plat. This condition cannot be duplicated in Chief without a great amount of effort – for an otherwise benevolent task.

Both curb cuts for driveways and sidewalks should contain the option for the apron to be flared out at straight degree back to the driveway. Again, please review attachments. You will find nearly all Cities and Counties (except in rural condition) require this standard.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	60068   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75335624.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	60069  
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

I'll tell you, I said I thought I could get it to even work with "great amount of effort", well I actually cant get it to work at all. At least they got the message.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

For those interested - I was able to use the "terrain feature" to somewhat work for the 3D visual - though its a very light Band-Aid to the issue. I still very much hope Chief gets this fixed, since everyone showing their driveways in these newer standard plats are showing the wrong detail.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kerb crop.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	162.1 KB 
ID:	60074
    Its a pain but you could uncheck 'has curb' dialog in the road tool and manually draw the curbs in using the 'terrain wall and curb' tool, placing a previously created apron symbol where required, you can just see it in the attached cropped render.
    Matt Taylor
    Newcastle NSW Australia

Chief X5
    Intel i7-2670QM 2.20GHz
    8GB Ram
    1GB GEForce GT555M
    Win7 64-Bit

Not a bad idea Matt. So you made a apron symbol?

Its still shocking to me that Chief doesn't show this correctly. If I tried to permit a site plan without the right apron detail they wouldn't accept it. That is on the top tier of their "watch-for" items around here.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

I just add the CAD over the top of what the terrain is showing for the site plan. But, yes, it would be nice if this was all automated.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

That's correct Johnny just mocked one up in sketchup, more for raytraces than anything else. You could generate a CAD block with notation and link via the 'Symbol Specification' dialogue box, if you wanted to.
    Matt Taylor
    Newcastle NSW Australia

Chief X5
    Intel i7-2670QM 2.20GHz
    8GB Ram
    1GB GEForce GT555M
    Win7 64-Bit

Quote Originally Posted by portrait View Post
    I designed a very large neighbourhood concept (around 300 units) with X3, but Chief couldn't cope with such a huge environment. I decided to design every 5-10 units in seperate files with the proper coordinates, and unify them in 3D Max. That was successful.
    If you're going to use primitive models for each dwelling unit in the neighborhood, it's possible that Chief could do the job. Otherwise it's very unlikely.
    What i found out is that Chief generally starts to struggle when the size of the plan file is larger than 35 Mb.
    This is a 100 acre parcel with two 12 story hotels and about 250 out buildings. It was a bit slow, but manageable.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raytrace X4 121511.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	61937
    Gary Doski
    3 D Homes Design Services LLC
    Certified Chief Architect X5 Trainer.
    Ver. X5, thru X1
    I train you on your jobs!
    Learn & get your work done at the same time!

Building Official- CT
    203-270-0646 fax 203-304-2101
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Radeon ATI 9870x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    Ultra 1600 watt PS