Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    In my opinion Apple and Microsoft are now more or less on equal footing with regard to leadership these days. Whether or not either will remain successful is certainly worthy of speculation. It makes sense for us to be in a position to go with either or even some third or fourth option, which today seems about as likely. At this point the cost of moving to another platform is likely less than 10% of the cost for us to move to Mac.

I have a background in supporting multiple main frame computers for some software that I was responsible for in the Aerospace industry many years ago. Today it is much easier to do this than in the past so I'm very confident in our ability to support multiple platforms at very low cost.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Ron I totally agree with you and don't for get the stairs and railings, my first priority is construction drawings since I was a builder if I can't build it correctly I am going to have a hard time covering things up to make them pretty looking, so lets get the construction part down and the pictures should come in to play fairly quickly. If I remember correctly when SSA was first talked about they said there would be updates to the program during that time period before a new release was formal thinking if something was worked on and the powers felt it worked they would release it to the SSA users and the users that did not subscribe to SSA would have to wait to get those features when they paid for there upgrade, someone correct me if I am wrong about that please,
    Ray
    Residential Design Services, Inc.
    RRGC@AOL.COM
    Chief user V2 To X6

If I remember correctly when SSA was first talked about they said there would be updates to the program during that time period before a new release was formal thinking if something was worked on and the powers felt it worked they would release it to the SSA users and the users that did not subscribe to SSA would have to wait to get those features when they paid for there upgrade, someone correct me if I am wrong about that please,

Ray:

that is about what I remember

however, I'm still not clear on who can get updates

I think you have to have SSA to get updates

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Lew my take on the selling point to keep up with the SSA (which I have done) was that any new things that were being worked on would be passed along to SSA users along with tech support and the video's, anyone that didn't have the SSA would have to wait until they upgraded to the next version to get those features, the only thing I have seen is things for the lib. and not sure if everyone gets those
    Ray
    RRGC@AOL.COM
    Chief user V2 To X6

Ray:

sorry but I don't remember CA saying they would do incremental updates as things were ready

as a former programmer it is very difficult to make changes to code and release them piece-meal

they are usually batched into bundles tested vigorously then released

I did work on a project at AT&T where we did a release every 3 months
    whatever was ready and tested was implemented

it would be nice if CA can do this but ???

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Lew what you mentioned about release every 3 months or so is what I was referring to, testing from time to time I do understand about piece-meal and I am sure they want to make sure something is working with min. bugs to it.
    Ray
    RRGC@AOL.COM
    Chief user V2 To X6

Ray:

the every 3 months release suggestion was mine many releases ago
    probably when SSA was introduced with X2

CA has never indicated they were considering this

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Golly gee willegers Lew I wish they took your suggestion it was a good one and would be a good one for marketing I would think
    Ray
    RRGC@AOL.COM
    Chief user V2 To X6

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Park View Post
    with a still iffy possibility of a public beta to our active SSA customers before the end of the year.
    I'm an SSA customer and I never received an invite?

I guess CA is going to compete with Vectorworks on the Mac platform. Makes sense since you introduced the IPAD app. When is my Android app coming out? Instead of developing two sets of code for Mac and Windows, isn't it just easier to let Mac's use an emulator to run windows software? I'm sure it kills performance.
    Edward Koenig - R.A.
    Carmelhill Architects
    Nesconset, NY
    www.CARMELHILL.com
    Chief X5

Office Full ATX tower
    i7-4770K 3.5 ghz
    MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 motherboard
    EVGA Geforce GTX 780 3g
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler
    250 gb Samsung Evo SSD
    1 TB WD Caviar HDD
    16 gb Corsair Vengence LP ram
    Corsair 750w power
    Cooler Master Storm Trooper case
    2 Westinghouse 26" monitors

Laptop - Asus G75VW-BBK5
    17.3"
    i7 2.3 ghz w/8 gb
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660M 2 gb

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Rood View Post
    Ron I totally agree with you and don't for get the stairs and railings, my first priority is construction drawings since I was a builder if I can't build it correctly I am going to have a hard time covering things up to make them pretty looking, so lets get the construction part down and the pictures should come in to play fairly quickly. If I remember correctly when SSA was first talked about they said there would be updates to the program during that time period before a new release was formal thinking if something was worked on and the powers felt it worked they would release it to the SSA users and the users that did not subscribe to SSA would have to wait to get those features when they paid for there upgrade, someone correct me if I am wrong about that please,
    yea but now you have the opportunity to have work-a-rounds on 2 platforms. Now thats progress Doug. You all are consistent in avoiding correcting deficiencies that count.

Ron Ravenscroft
    RAVENSCROFT ARCHITECTS, LTD.
    20611 N. 17th WAy
    Phoenix, Arizona 85024
    623-434-0092 - 480-797-6894
    rrarchpa@cox.net or ron@raltd.net
    Version4 to X5 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by CARMELHILL View Post
    You need to apply or ask to beta test.
    Jintu E.P. Montego
    info@jintudesigns.com
    jintu@cadexpress.biz

X5
    Triweekly rendering updates on facebook

--------------
    Windows 7 Home Premium - 64bit
    Processor: 3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHZ 8MB (Ivy Bridge)
    Mobo: ASUS P8H77 - MLE
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 PC1333 Kingston ( 2x4GB)
    Hard Disk: WD Caviar Green 1 TB
    Video Card: 1GB Sapphire Radeon HD6670 DDR5

We have not yet released a public beta. If you want to be part of the beta team you can apply. We are having loads of fun testing things.

We are still iffy on a public beta before the end of the year.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by CARMELHILL View Post

I guess CA is going to compete with Vectorworks on the Mac platform. Makes sense since you introduced the IPAD app. When is my Android app coming out? Instead of developing two sets of code for Mac and Windows, isn't it just easier to let Mac's use an emulator to run windows software? I'm sure it kills performance.
    When the public Beta test is available, they do not send out "Invites". They put the notice in the "Announcements" forum. If you see it & read it, then you are invited. If you want to be on the Beta team before the "Public Beta", send Chief an email and ask.

Now, my thoughts on SSA. First, If your business is slow and you don't have the luxury of more than 'paying the bills', then by all means, don't do it, don't renew it. That's a no-brainer. If you don't use Chief as your MAIN source of income, well then it is more of a luxury than a need. However, IMHO, if you are using Chief as your main income generator, and you are not late on bill payments, than renewing SSA and keeping up on the latest releases is an absolute must. My SSA renewal comes due next month. I would love to spend that $395 on something else, but this is the price of doing business.

I consider myself a 'power user', and I know Chief inside & out in most areas, but I have found myself recently going back to the training videos and having several of those BFO moments, thinking, WOW, I wish I had watched THIS earlier.

Go ahead & call me a 'cheerleader', but I think the SSA is full of value. Heck, I spend $500/year on GoToMeeting, and that is only a sideline money generator.

I have never been disappointed with the new releases, as every single one of them has brought new features or improvements that have increased productivity, and I don't see that stopping or slowing down.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Park View Post
    We have not yet released a public beta. If you want to be part of the beta team you can apply. We are having loads of fun testing things.

We are still iffy on a public beta before the end of the year.
    Maybe it will be a little sooner than the end of the year? CHECK HERE. Just sayin'
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic