Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Love Perry's Layout Box Labels

So I am reverting to Perry's Label Box Labels. I have been behind the curve. Thanks P.

Vid link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osy6DpkVwt0
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I can't see why anyone doesn't use them.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

This macro is a big time saver. What I've also done to save time is make my Title Block sheet into "cells" so that numbering each drawing is no longer needed. In other words, you can put a detail drawing in a cell at position 2C on the page, and then reference to that cell. Then if you move the drawing to a different page, you don't have to renumber. The cell numbering is within the borders of each sheet. Maybe this will be of use to somebody. I've attached what this looks like. Title Page.pdf
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

Quote Originally Posted by RMorrison View Post
    This macro is a big time saver. What I've also done to save time is make my Title Block sheet into "cells" so that numbering each drawing is no longer needed. In other words, you can put a detail drawing in a cell at position 2C on the page, and then reference to that cell. Then if you move the drawing to a different page, you don't have to renumber. The cell numbering is within the borders of each sheet. Maybe this will be of use to somebody. I've attached what this looks like. Title Page.pdf
    Dog gone you Mr Curmudgeon, we could use you Saturday. Are you sure you don't have time to join our hapless group. I do not understand how to do what you just said, but it sure sounds intriguing. I opened your TITLE PAGE, semi understand the "cells", but do not understand where to go from there.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I'm with Scott on this one. How do you cross reference on the Plan, Elevations, Sections , Schedules where the detail is located?

2C/A-5 ? Cell 2C on sheet A-5 makes sense but if you move the detail to a new sheet then you would need to edit the call-out where-ever it is. Do you have a macro that ties this together?
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Dog gone you Mr Curmudgeon, we could use you Saturday. Are you sure you don't have time to join our hapless group. I do not understand how to do what you just said, but it sure sounds intriguing. I opened your TITLE PAGE, semi understand the "cells", but do not understand where to go from there.
    Okay, say you've got a reference call-out on your structural framing plan to a detail on a different page. You use the normal reference call-out, but it will show as, say, 3B/A7, which is the cell where you've placed that detail. If you move the detail to a different page and spot on the page, then don't have to renumber the detail, just change the reference call-out. The grid numbers/letters are all on Layout Sheet 0, of course. It would certainly be swell if these were coordinated with a macro, but at least the drawing numbering with a callout is reduced by at least half. Here's what the detail page might look like (sorry that cursor is in there...):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Details.png 
Views:	237 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	59896
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64

If only there was some way to have the Call-Out be automatically changed to where-ever the detail is moved to - now that would be cool. I think it could be programmed - the detail (aka Layout Box) has specific coordinates on the Layout Page - Sheet x/y coordinates / Sheet Number. Now what's the mechanism for tying that to the Call-Out(s)?

Maybe someone at CA can figure it out. Could the Call-Out itself have a link to the Layout Box and thereby be updated in a similar fashion to how we can go from Layout Box to the corresponding View in the Plan/Model?
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

BTW Richard,

My California License Number is about 1/2 of yours. So how can you call yourself a Curmudgeon? You can't be old enough to be that mean. OTOH, I was accused of being much more surly when I was younger. Mellowed with age.
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Could the Call-Out itself have a link to the Layout Box and thereby be updated in a similar fashion to how we can go from Layout Box to the corresponding View in the Plan/Model?
    Obviously it could. [AnotherCAD] does exactly this. Makes errors in coordination almost disappear.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    BTW Richard,

My California License Number is about 1/2 of yours. So how can you call yourself a Curmudgeon? You can't be old enough to be that mean. OTOH, I was accused of being much more surly when I was younger. Mellowed with age.
    "Curmudgeon" is a state of mind, not dependent on aging. I'm much more mellow about SOME things, but others I find myself with less and less patience. I've been licensed for thirty years this year, so been around the block a couple of times, at least. But I still have most of my hair. ;-)
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64

On another note:

It would be great if the Sheet Numbering could be divided into "Discipline Sections" such as:

A-1,,,,,
    S-1,,,,,
    P-1,,,,,
    M-1,,,,,
    E-1,,,,,
    etc.

I do this at present using Filled Text Blocks and Specific Layers in my Layout Template - but it would be much better if it was a Chief Layout Feature.
    Windows 8.1

Is there a way to make the %box scale% macro the default for all layout boxes?
    Mike Gabriel
    TLC Builders, LLC
    www.tlcbuildersllc.com

17" MacBook Pro (Thanks Chief, no BootCamp required!)
    X3, X4, X5, X6 Beta

could this be a new feature in x6?
    Chris P.

I do like using the label for the title but (nit picky perhaps, I know) don't like not having all CAPS for the scale and also not being able to have the font size smaller for the scale.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Bryce,

I use a couple of different macros to make up the Labels:

1. I use a RT with the %view.name% imbedded in it (in the Plan) itself for the Main portion of the Label.
    2. I use another macro in the Layout (imbedded in the Label of the Layout Box) which is formatted to match the way I like the Scale to be displayed.

Check the attached pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Box Label Results.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	60335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Plan Label.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	60332   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Box Label.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	60333   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Box Scale Macro.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	60334  
    Windows 8.1