Question Complicated Roof question, and more!

I'm trying to learn how to be CA proficient, I've just started the program last monday.. I'm a carpenter, and I need to draw up my clients existing house, to be able to edit it, and give it a facelift remodel. Couple issues Im having is I cant seem to get my roof to CUT around the two second story rooms. One of the rooms on the second floor is open and has no roof on it. This is an existing "Balcony" that the roof pitch dies into. I need to lower the walls individually and CAP the top plate with STUCCO. (I couldnt seem to figure out how to do it with the deck railing option)

In any event.. Theres multiple gables on the structure, and I just cant seem to cut the roof around the second floor.. The house is one of the oddest house layouts I've ever worked on..

I feel like Im getting my butt kicked trying to learn this program on a complicated house layout....

Also, theres a weird line in between the two round rooms, (upper and lower) I cant seem to get rid of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unit1.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	59863   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unit2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	59864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unit3.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	59865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unit4.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	173.0 KB 
ID:	59866  

Do you have the existing photos as reference? Maybe a satellite view?
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."

best I can do =/

Name:	ff1.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	59867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1871.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	59868   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1885.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	59869  

so there are 4 gables total. 1 on the Window side of the house, and three on the other, each gable centered over each door.

Well - that is a very complicated roofline. 100% doable in Chief, but a poor project to try to jumpstart your education in Chief on. You might go through the process of designing a fake Colonial...maybe a salt-box....work-up to some dormers.

If you are in a rush on this job, I would hire someone here to model the base for you. Someone may disagree, but I think you're jumping in the deep end first.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

I was just examining that house more - WOW that is one crazy shape. For curiosity sake, what are they going to remodel - the shape?
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Im starting to figure it out actually..

We will most likely do something with the curved wall in the front. Possible box it off, and put a slope on the front wall. cut the roof up, change the vener. Its all up in the air right now. Hence the reason I'm learning the program.

I used to use autocad for drafting, only 2D though.

Heres what its starting to look like.. This is closer to the existing house. Though, I dont know what that weird plywood panel is, above the door on the round wall(second story)

Any ideas what that is? It doesnt seem to be an OBJECT in my plan view...?

Name:	unit5.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	59870  

Easiest way is to make a copy of your floor plan and use the auto roof tools to get that round roof to generate the way you want. Then just copy hold (just the roof planes) to your working floor plan.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Why is this wall generating above the garage??

Name:	unit6.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	59871  

From what I can get from the picture (tough) it appears the actual exterior wall (upper floor) is setback from the arched/oval/ellipse shape - looks like vertical accent beams on each side to support that cover.

My impression is whoever did this design was told to use every square inch of coverage they could on the lot - no matter the shape.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

For the mysterious wall, check to ensure your foundation does not extend past the footprint of the house. If foundations are not set to automagically generate and you move the 1st floor walls, the foundation stays put and this type of thing can happen.

BTW, I'll say it since nobody has yet. Close the plan, zip it and post it and you will get much better help.
    Mike Gabriel
    TLC Builders, LLC
    www.tlcbuildersllc.com

17" MacBook Pro (Thanks Chief, no BootCamp required!)
    X3, X4, X5, X6 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by mgabriel View Post
    For the mysterious wall, check to ensure your foundation does not extend past the footprint of the house. If foundations are not set to automagically generate and you move the 1st floor walls, the foundation stays put and this type of thing can happen.

BTW, I'll say it since nobody has yet. Close the plan, zip it and post it and you will get much better help.
    And to avoid this from happening even though the foundation extends beyond the walls at level 1, simply go down to foundation level, select the room, and check NO ROOF over room.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

thank you all!