Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lgswe is offline Registered User Promoted

Adding sliding "barn doors" to doorway in schedule

I added sliding barn doors from the library to a doorway and included the doorway in the schedule. After making the door schedule I noticed that the doorway with the sliding barn doors in the discription column was marked "doorway" so I went into the component section for the dooway to make changes in the discription section or add somthing in the comment area. The problem is there is no place to make the change to the discription or add a comment about the sliding barn doors. Am I missing something or is there some type of a work around?
    Larry Sweeney
    Designer/Builder/Restorations/Period Cabinetmaker since 1972

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Change the opening label to say what you want. then make sure you have openings to show up in the schedule
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Change the opening label to say what you want. then make sure you have openings to show up in the schedule
    Or put a door in a wall out of view in layout and he put in the custom label. Both methods work.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott...Thanks. Your suggestion was the best work around. The problem with doing it Perry's way was that I was still unable to make a note in the "comment" area of the schedule. Maybe one of this versions (before I go to the "Happy Hunting Ground") CA with give us amore flexibility with the schedules.
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

That's funny I have never wanted to add any comments using openings before, I just change the label. Although that should work, I guess it doesn't. Thanks
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

IMNSHO this is another case where CA needs to loosen up the constrictions. We should be able to define custom "Door Types". IOW, if we want a "Barn Door" as a "Type" then Chief should allow us to add this to the drop-down pick-list. Since a Door Symbol can already be set with x/y offsets it should be relatively easy to create a Door Symbol that would work perfectly with it's own 2D Block.

We need a similar set of capabilities for Symbols so that we can add them in to any new layer that we define.

One such example for Symbols would be "Stairs" or "Ladders". If we define a Layer for Stairs and then create a Symbol of a Spiral Stairway and select the Symbol Type as "Stairs" then it would be assigned to the "Stairs" Layer with the appropriate color and linestyle. Having this sort of flexibility would be a big improvement.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Larry:

Something you might want to consider doing is making two door schedules - one for establishing the callouts for all your doors (and doorways); and a 2nd one that you can convert to text and then edit and add comments, change descriptions, etc. Use the 2nd one to send to layout for your CD's. I do these in two separate CAD details. Make sure to use a name so you can identify the one that goes to L.O. for the plan set. I see barn doors are on the Fixtures, Interior layer. Why not on the door layer?

I don't have a clue why we can't add comments using the components route, unless I have totally missed something. That seems like the logical place to add this information. Maybe I am messing up by not using the correct procedures???
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

It would be nice if the Schedules were "LIVE" so that we could edit information in them directly.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Johnson View Post
    I don't have a clue why we can't add comments using the components route, unless I have totally missed something. That seems like the logical place to add this information. Maybe I am messing up by not using the correct procedures???
    Basically the problem is that the Schedule uses the Door Itself for the Comments but there's no Door in the Components of a Doorway. So either CA needs to add a "Barn Door" Type or provide us with the ability to define our own Custom Types.

Another option would be for CA to add an invisible dummy "Door" to the components of a "Doorway". That would give us something to edit.
    Windows 8.1

Here's another method:

1. Create a Doors_Hidden Layer with a "Blank" Line Style.
    2. Place a Pocket Sliding Door and edit the Layer to "Doors_Hidden"
    3. Edit the Components "Description" from "Pocket Sliding" to "Barn Sliding".
    4. Create a Custom Door Symbol with Track and End Stops.
    5. Edit the Symbol Origin (y=5" +/-) and (x=-door width
    6. From the Door dbx select this Symbol from the Library.

You might have to play with the Symbol Origin and you'll probably have to place a CAD Block for the Plan View.

Another option is to define the 3D Symbol as an Interior Fixture that mounts on the Wall with it's own 2D Block.

IAE, the Plan, 3D and Schedule will all be in sync.
    Windows 8.1

Nice Joe thanks
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

For a slightly better Plan View you can use a Swinging Door with all Hardware suppressed. OTOH, if your Custom Symbol has the Jambs included then it won't matter. The problem with the Pocket Slider is that it leaves a gap in one Jamb.
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    It would be nice if the Schedules were "LIVE" so that we could edit information in them directly.
    Joe.....I'll say a AMEN to that!

Shown in the attachment is how the sliding barn doors from the library look in plan view when added to an exisiting doorway, looks fine for me. Though there has been talk of many different work arounds, I think Scotts is the quickest and best to "get out the door" work around. Just throw that wall up in "no man's land", make a custom lable for the barn door doorway and move on to the next problem. It's simple "out of the box" thinking. To all for your advice---Have a great day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barn Door.JPG 
Views:	4708 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	59872  
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

cache is offline Registered User Promoted
    Quote Originally Posted by lgswe View Post
    Joe.....I'll say a AMEN to that!

Shown in the attachment is how the sliding barn doors from the library look in plan view when added to an exisiting doorway, looks fine for me. Though there has been talk of many different work arounds, I think Scotts is the quickest and best to "get out the door" work around. Just throw that wall up in "no man's land", make a custom lable for the barn door doorway and move on to the next problem. It's simple "out of the box" thinking. To all for your advice---Have a great day.
    Which library is that sliding barn door from?
    Software & Peripherals
    Chief Architect X6 beta
    Thea Render
    Blender
    Crazybumps
    Sketchup
    Photoshop CS6
    Wacom Tablet
    Three 24" and one 17" monitor

Portable Workstation
    Core2 Extreme 2.54GHz
    16GB DDR3 RAM
    Windows 7 64-bit

Desktop
    Intel Core i5 3.8GHz Quad Core
    32GB DDR3 RAM
    Linux / Windows 7 64-bit
    GTX660 2GB discrete GPU

It was in CA's Bonus Catalog under "Sliding Barn Doors". It shows 18-19 different doors.
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670