Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Annoset vs Layerset

I'm trying to finalize my understanding of Annosets. Could someone please let me know if I have this right...

A Layerset is a set of layers which display at the same time (meaning on and off layers) using the master default settings of each layer.

An Annoset is a non-default setting for a layer that influences properties therein, and you can have layersets contained within annosets that then behave with those new defined settings separate from the master defaults. In that way you can create custom "views" of plan controlled data.

Is that it in a nutshell? ...or is there something more, less, or different?

Thanks guys. I hope to one day be in a position to help newbies like me. Even though I have had CA for a while, I was using it mostly for modeling, not plansets.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyprc View Post
    I'm trying to finalize my understanding of Annosets. Could someone please let me know if I have this right...

A Layerset is a set of layers which display at the same time (meaning on and off layers) using the master default settings of each layer.

An Annoset is a non-default setting for a layer that influences properties therein, and you can have layersets contained within annosets that then behave with those new defined settings separate from the master defaults. In that way you can create custom "views" of plan controlled data.

Is that it in a nutshell? ...or is there something more, less, or different?

Thanks guys. I hope to one day be in a position to help newbies like me. Even though I have had CA for a while, I was using it mostly for modeling, not plansets.
    I think that is a very poor explanation. I do not think you understand the purpose of anno sets, But if you do, you did not state the purpose of anno sets in your explanation.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    I think that is a very poor explanation. I do not think you understand the purpose of anno sets, But if you do, you did not state the purpose of anno sets in your explanation.
    My explanation was more in the form of a quasi-question, how would you describe them in a nutshell. I watched your videos on Chief-Expert - as you told me to- and that was informative, but I was still trying to formulate what they are fully. I first watched the CA videos, and this is how I took them. How would you basically describe them?
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Simple explanation. By selecting a specific anno set, you are defining which layers are on and off. You are also defining what layer any future CAD work or text or dimensions will go to. You are also defining the font styles, line weights and colors. You are also defining how dimensioning behaves.

In my simple mind it is all about the anno set. Anno sets are king and the layer sets are a part of the anno set.

Some users use it a bit differently. They will select a specific anno set. (Which will NOT define a specific layer set), and then they will select a specific layer set to go along with said anno set. Thus a two step process.

I suppose the second method gives the option for many many different combinations, something I do not think is important.

Maybe this is what you were saying in your explanation, it was just too abstract for me to follow.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

BTW, I too watched the CA videos. I thought it a weak explanation. They showed how it works but they did not explain how to use it, which is very typical of CA.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

jonnyprc,

No, I don't think that you have grasped the concept - or you are not describing your understaning correctly.

Have you read the help file on annosets?
    The first sentence does a pretty good job of describing annosets:

An Annotation Set is a collection of Saved Defaults for many of the tools used to annotate plan and layout files: manually-drawn Dimensions, Text, Callouts, Markers, Arrows, the Current CAD Layer, and the Active Layer Set. Multiple Annotation Sets can be saved in any plan or layout, each for a specific purpose, and you can quickly switch from set to set as you work on these various tasks.

And then their connection to a layerset is described a bit further down:
    Select a Layer Set from the drop-down list. See Layer Sets.
    • Choose the name of a layer set from the drop-down list to activate that set when*ever the Selected Annotation Set is made active in the file.
    • When “Use Active Layer Set” is selected, the layer set in use in the current view does not change when the Selected Anno*tation Set is made active. This option is the default for installed Annotation Sets.

I think that says it as well as I could in my own words.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Annosets is probably the single biggest productivity improvement for the program in many years. It is definitely worth your time to understand it fully. It is layer sets on steroids. Keep in mind that it also functions to essentially change the scale you are drawing in; it is able to change the text style of each layer with a click, which includes text height. (The only thing that is missing, IMO, is changing the arrow size for previously placed arrows. It only works on new arrows.)
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

I agree - looks very powerful. I feel I am starting to understand them much better and can see how rapid development of a planset is possible with those. Much faster then exporting to another app to arrange drawings for sure. Thanks everyone.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Before annosets, we used to have to change (Manually) all the layerset conditions and layers when we would switch from floor, to framing, to roof, to electrical, etc. What a pain in the toukis that was.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

A layer set is a collection of layers that have specific properties that affect the display, color, style, and weight of lines and text for the objects that use a specific layer.

An annotation set is a collection of defaults that affect how annotations, such as text, look when they are created.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Is there a way to set the layer etc in a block of items - or do I need to un-block (ungroup) to set each sub-item? Changing everything in the block didn't work for me, so is there a nuance to this?
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Yes and No.

You can create individual items on multiple layers and then block them. However, the block has it's own layer and that layer must be displayed in order for any/all of the individual pieces to be displayed. The individual pieces will display in their own line-style and maybe (I think) in their individual colors. but if you turn of any individual layer the entire block will still be displayed.

IMO this is something that needs to be changed. We should be able to display just a subset of the layers for display.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Yeah, I kinda agree.

What I am struggling with mightily is that I created a bunch of text blocks with objects (ie my own north arrow and scale - and references), but wanted to have it so the entire block was changed to the correct layerset/annoset. What I find is I cannot change all the block items, and then when I unblock they "turn off" (if layer isn't visible in current set). Maybe this is a setup thing once I am done I can make them part of my library per layer/set. Add to the mix the floor levels and it gets confusing quick for someone that doesn't know the app very well.

Let me ask too - is there a way to set the floor level as part of the layerset? Personally I feel that would be handy as well.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyprc View Post

Let me ask too - is there a way to set the floor level as part of the layerset? Personally I feel that would be handy as well.
    No, and there is not reason to, you still do not fully understand how things go together. Stick with it, it will eventually make sense.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The only way I know of editing the properties of individual elements within a CAD Block is to explode the block - make the edits - then re-block.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium