Turning Lines into Screened Lines

Is there any way to turn a CAD line into what I call a "screened line" - basically a line made up of very small dots instead of a solid line. For example: you could have a thick line that you called out as a 50% screened line and it would look as if it was a thick medium grey line, or 10% screened and it would be very light grey. I'm wanting to be able to vary my shades of lines when I'm just printing in Black & White. Thanks

I don't think it is possible unless you print in color to get a gradient for line weight. Even printing in "color" to get greyscale is frustrating in Chief.
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Quote Originally Posted by billemery View Post
    I don't think it is possible unless you print in color to get a gradient for line weight. Even printing in "color" to get greyscale is frustrating in Chief.

Oh boy, sounds like a workshop to me. This is something that could be explored.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

@Steve, changing the line color (or fill line color) to one of the stock gray colors may give you what you want. Have you tried using these and doing some print tests? I was told by one who knows, use the stock colors of gray. They seem to work the best and if you can not find the exact color of gray in the 13 shades provided then you need to really need to reassess your goals in life.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	line-color-1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	59800  
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Oh boy, sounds like a workshop to me. This is something that could be explored.
    We did that one, ( How to make your plans POP) it was really a good one. I'll do another one of those anytime.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

I would print in shades of solid gray and let the printer do the work.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

I only use black and shades of grey lines in my layersets, I print in color, I get great control over printed screens and lineweights.
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
    I only use black and shades of grey lines in my layersets, I print in color, I get great control over printed screens and lineweights.
    I too print in color, and I use shades of grey, but I also use colors in my layersets. But I do not think I use them very well yet. I like the colors because it helps identify which layers are on. But I must admit that using colors does not give me the best output from the printer, (some of the colors print lighter than I would like). Something I am wrestling with........ do I change all my colored lines to black or a shade of grey and give up on the colors? Still treading water on the issue.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Yes, I'm always adjusting my colors, especially when using reference sets. I set color off to print, but the color on for all pictures sent to layout. I also use, "color off prints grayscale", but It might look great on the monitor and when printing, it is just too light and almost disappears. I had to go to the darkest grayscale.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    ...... I had to go to the darkest grayscale.
    Yep, me too.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Like some of you have said, I also use color for many of my layer sets simply for me to keep easy track of what's on and what's not - so when it comes time to printing or sending out in a pdf, I need a black & white solution for a grey line. Also my issue is that when the builders or owners make sets for the field - they just get black & white copies at their local copy center. If my original sets are in color - it ends up pretty poor.

One tip, if you want a colored line to show up good, make it a dark shade of whatever color you use. The lighter colors just don't print well.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    We did that one, ( How to make your plans POP) it was really a good one. I'll do another one of those anytime.
    Id love to be part of that workshop if you re-do it.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

I would like to be part of that workshop if you re-do it also.
    Anthony St.Martin
    509-396-4636
    www.sageland-design.com
    asm@sageland-design.com
    Chief X5 - Started with v.8