Thread: Building Codes

Building Codes

Hello Everyone,

I was recently contracted to take a design and put it into construction documents. My question is if it is necessary to include the building code in the documents? Or is it a matter of knowing the code and complying to it. For example should I have codes applicable to the electricity plan included on the electrical page?

Thanks!!

Unless you live in my county or very few others without a building code, your plans will likely have to meet building code requirements. Some designers and architects will quote some code in their CD's to clarify construction requirements. You should find out what your local building departments require and go from there. Check out the CA website - there are some plans their that you can use for some general guidance as to how you may want to do yours. The IRC has over 600 pages so I don't think you want to get to carried away with code citations in your CD's. Then there's all the other codes as well! Good luck.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

I usually check with the Building Department which Codes are in-force. Then I place the info on first page.
    Francois
    X4

Your plan should comply with the code in force. You don't need to put every code reference on the plan but I have 1 full page ( general notes ) included with every plan, just in case. Sometimes the cities will have their own ordinances that also need to be on the plans.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Those notes are not sufficient for most of the work I do.