Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

truss maddness - or maybe its me?

Sorry for leaning on you guys so much. I'm forcing myself to complete this in CA (3D), whereas before I would have been drafting in 2D (Vectorworks) by now.

I'm at a point were I have no idea why trusses aren't filling a couple areas. I realize a large portion of whats left will be hand framed, but I still have a couple areas where the trusses should work. What do I do when CA won't place a truss in a location I know it should be??

I am nearly there with this plan...down the home-stretch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TRUSS_ISSUE.PNG 
Views:	202 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	59787  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

J - I didn't have a lot of time to spend, but.....What are all those attic walls doing up there? I just deleted the entire attic and the trusses drew with no problem (At least as far as I went with it).
    You might consider using truss bases for your overlay framing, unless you want to create real valleys.
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

I don't know...I thought the attic spaces were made for us by chief, so I let it generate itself. Now that you say that I can see what you are saying...
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

sure enough you are right. I had a skillion roof design alternative and I guess some of the walls got left over, I didn't know you have to delete walls in the attic if you modify the design. I know now. Thank you!!!!!!!
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

jonnyprc,

Most of those Attic Walls in your plan are required and are auto built by Chief (Defaults...Walls...General Wall...Auto rebuild Attic Walls).
    You have a lot of rooms that are defined with "Ceiling Over This Room" unchecked - which gives you a sloping ceiling on the underside of the roof framing - not a flat ceiling.
    In these cases you need Attic Walls and they are auto built by Chief. They are the walls between the default flat ceiling level and the ceiling that follows the roof slope.
    Chief will auto build the Attic walls as you change your design - no need to delete - they will auto delete as needed and rebuild as needed.

One quick thing I noticed was you have a lot of layer sets like "Layout Set 1", etc.
    Unless you have a specific reason for doing this, I suggest that it would be better practice to turn this "feature" off.
    It is an option in the Send to Layout dbx - Make Copy of Active Layer Set.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    jonnyprc,

Most of those Attic Walls in your plan are required and are auto built by Chief (Defaults...Walls...General Wall...Auto rebuild Attic Walls).
    You have a lot of rooms that are defined with "Ceiling Over This Room" unchecked - which gives you a sloping ceiling on the underside of the roof framing - not a flat ceiling.
    In these cases you need Attic Walls and they are auto built by Chief. They are the walls between the default flat ceiling level and the ceiling that follows the roof slope.
    Chief will auto build the Attic walls as you change your design - no need to delete - they will auto delete as needed and rebuild as needed.

One quick thing I noticed was you have a lot of layer sets like "Layout Set 1", etc.
    Unless you have a specific reason for doing this, I suggest that it would be better practice to turn this "feature" off.
    It is an option in the Send to Layout dbx - Make Copy of Active Layer Set.
    Good point about the layers - I need to clean that up. On the attic walls - I deleted them all thinking the ones necessary would rebuild, but they didn't. Should I go add them manually or is there something I am missing again? The trusses work great once I fixed that issue.

Thanks again.

Name:	attic_wall_issue2.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	59789   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attic_wall_issue.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	59790  
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

BTW - thanks Scott for posting those videos - I am watching them all now.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

johnnyprc,

The Attic Walls should auto rebuild.
    Check this setting:
    Defaults...Walls...General Wall...Auto rebuild Attic Walls.

Otherwise make sure you have the Walls, Attic layer turned on in the appropriate layerset.
    Attic walls were not displaying in the plan you posted.

Otherwise, Skype me and I can have a look at your screen and what you are doing.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Also make sure the roof is not stopping them from generating. You may need to pull it/them back an inch or so.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Wow - I tried both Gavin's suggestion and Glenns - and I couldn't get the attic wall to rebuild. Just went I thought it was down to that issue, I watched Scotts video and tried to fix entry vestibule wall/roof per his video - and for some reason the roof won't connected. I have both roofs with the same baseline - both 5.5/12 pitch. So by mathematical law the 2 roofs should intersect at the same distances along the 45 deg "hypotenuse". It must be me then, since I am sure Chief's Pythagorean theorem calcs are correct.

Name:	baseline_same.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	59794  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

So by bringing the roofs forward and back I got them to in fact join - but now I am left with this... still working on it.

Name:	finally.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	59796  
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

well, re-did the same thing and got a better more equal result - but still not right...

Name:	connect.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	59797  
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

What I am thinking is this. The fascia is really a "shadow" board custom profile. Should I try to undo that so I can make the fascia a build-up, or will that put me in the same place?
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Everyone's probably rolling their eyes, but here is an issue I really can't explain. I went to make sure all the rooflines were the right distance from the wall with the detail I have, and in this video you can see I select one area and it shows 6.25" from the wall, and the other is 6.99" - both from the same location on the wall. Where did the 3/4" come from???.. If I manually place 6.25" where the 6.99" is, then it lessens the other area by that same amount (so I end up with about 5.5"). How can that make any sense?

Here is a video showing where this is happening, but I can't get the text to show in the video - but take my word, the first area is 6.25", and the second is 3/4 further from the wall at 6.99".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU-v2YdqFy8

**Added

I ended up drawing 2 lines completely along x - perfectly straight. I placed 1 line along the wall, the other along the roof line. They both show those lines are as straight as an arrow. However, the dimensions indicate the roof or wall line is out of square - but that is not right.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyprc View Post
    Everyone's probably rolling their eyes,......................
    I for one am rolling my eyes, no dialog, poor screen resolution, can't tell what the heck you are doing. Maybe somebody else can help you.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall