2x's Auto-generated on top of deck joists

When I auto-generate deck framing, CA draws 2x members on top of and parallel with the joists; these 2x members are placed on the Framing, Deck Framing layer. They are always the same depth as the planking specified in the Structure tab of the Room dbx.

They display in x-section:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deck Framing Section.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	59726

...and in orthographic:

Name:	Deck Framing Ortho.png 
Views:	156 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	59727

I don't understand what these 2x members are supposed to represent. Is it a bug?

Quote Originally Posted by rlackore View Post
    When I auto-generate deck framing, CA draws 2x members on top of and parallel with the joists; these 2x members are placed on the Framing, Deck Framing layer. They are always the same depth as the planking specified in the Structure tab of the Room dbx.

They display in x-section:

Name:	Deck Framing Section.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	59726

...and in orthographic:

Name:	Deck Framing Ortho.png 
Views:	156 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	59727

I don't understand what these 2x members are supposed to represent. Is it a bug?
    Interesting, doubt it is a bug, post a simple plan and somebody will look at it.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I bet you have your planking defined incorrectly. You probably have a defined a large gap between planks, missized the size of planks and have rotated them 90 degrees from the way they should be.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Create a new blank plan with a square deck. Compare the Floor Structure and Deck properties for the deck room in your existing and the new plan.
    Aaron Michalk
    Senior Software Engineer
    Chief Architect

I began from a new blank plan in the first place... but I started another - nothing on it - drew a square deck, same result. These are the settings, straight from the default template:

Name:	Deck Room dbx.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	59728

Name:	Deck Structure Dbx.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	59729

Maybe there's something obvious I'm missing?

Go to the deck's Room Spec. >> Structure tab. Click on Planks, Joists. Select layer 1 and click on Plan Material. Click Edit. Change Type from Framing to Area. That should fix it.
    Aaron Michalk
    Senior Software Engineer
    Chief Architect

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Go to the deck's Room Spec. >> Structure tab. Click on Planks, Joists. Select layer 1 and click on Plan Material. Click Edit. Change Type from Framing to Area. That should fix it.
    Too easy. I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around all the little things in CA that have large ramifications. It would normally not occur to me that defining a Material should affect how CA builds things - to me, coming from a 3D background, a material is texture, bump map, specular map, etc. Some of my struggles have just been with terminology.

Thanks for the help.

It would normally not occur to me that defining a Material should affect how CA builds things

Hmmm, this is SO un-intuituve

does this make sense to anyone ?

I'm sure I will never remember this little tid-bit of a trick

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    It would normally not occur to me that defining a Material should affect how CA builds things

Hmmm, this is SO un-intuituve

does this make sense to anyone ?

I'm sure I will never remember this little tid-bit of a trick

Lew
    Aaron's explanation made no sense to me, that being said, I think the OP messed something up and Aaron was fixing it. Hmmm I made the same mistake eons ago and it took a while for me to figure it out......
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Aaron's explanation made no sense to me, that being said, I think the OP messed something up and Aaron was fixing it. Hmmm I made the same mistake eons ago and it took a while for me to figure it out......
    I just reverse engineered it to get to the OP's issue, and now I understand what was happening. I am not sure why it is doing what it is doing, but I now see it............... now I wonder how I could use this little feature........ got to think about it.............. nope, I never did this before, but it is semi interesting........... sleepers maybe?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

To me it appears that the framing from the deck is trying to frame up to the floor level of the main home.

Also, I do sympathize with the OP, since he is right - in other modeling apps you deal with shapes to create "logic" defined by your knowledge - the app isn't going to do that for you say in Sketchup. The flip-side problem I see in CA, is that just when you give yourself over to the "logic" CA brings (knowing basics of how a structure is put together), you end up going back to shapes and your own intuitive nature to complete a "work-around". Its the back and forth that causes some concern - so you have to complete a model using both how CA thinks a building is put together and how you KNOW a building is put together. Its a dance I am learning....
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD