Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Construction Percentage

Hello Everyone,
    I was wondering what you charge bases on the percentage of the construction fee. I have a client in Phoenix that somehow got a $75 per sq. ft. price for construction. I was responsible for designing and putting this house into construction plans but it is his job to find an engineer. What percentage would you charge?
    Thanks!!

Depends. Does the plan set have 5 pages or 50+ pages? The price can vary wildly based on what is needed in the plan set.
    Jay Wojnas
    X4, X5, & LOL AutoCad R14/2000
    Precision Designs
    http://pdglobal.com

It has 7 pages including the cover.

It is still a mystery. Are 2 of those pages details? How complicated was the process? Are these clients very quick to make decisions? Many variables. Sometimes you can only really set a price on something after meeting with the clients and discussing the needs of the project.

BTW, is the $75/s.f. builder available to come to California?
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."

Quote Originally Posted by gawdzira View Post
    BTW, is the $75/s.f. builder available to come to California?
    75% discount at least. Maybe that's just for materials.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

There is one page of details. It was not very complicated at all. Single story, 4,000 sq foot house.

$75 is a low PSF for around where I am...is that what is normal in AZ?

I guess it depends on the design/house/spec, but even a starter house at that price is good.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

I am wondering what to charge for myself. What percentage should I charge for a simple, single story, 4500 square foot house? I took it from concept to a 7 page construction document with one page of details.

Define "simple" when referring to 4500 s.f. of house. Based on location, design style, construction types, your background, knowledge and abilities... it is very hard to give an apples to apples comparison of fees. Based on what you are saying I can not offer anything to your realistic ideas on what to charge because I work in a different universe. Where I am, 4500 s.f. is an estate. I designed a stand alone garage addition to a house that was about 130 s.f. and cost 57k to build. Yes, over 400/s.f.. Nothing elaborate. Honestly, it was nothing elaborate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	garage.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	59682  

Here is a picture of the structure. It's located just outside of phoenix. The builders that the client found would charge $75/s.f. which would come out to $309,045. This is just a general overview of the stucture without the windows and correct siding etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phoenixhouse.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	59684

I usually charge by the hour

If I were to set a flat rate it would be $3,000 - $6,000
    depending on having reviwed the plans for compexity etc

so that would be 1 - 2 % - would like to get 3%
    probably dio it for $4,000

but that is based on where I live and many, many other factors

setting a price is an art - not a science

when you set a flat rate you are taking the risk - so you need to inflate to CYA

if you charge by the hour - the client takes the risk

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Reed,

Can you really get a home built for $75 psf in Phoenix?
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Reed,

Can you really get a home built for $75 psf in Phoenix?
    Joe,
    My client has shown me that he has a builder that can.

Current home sale prices are irrespective of construction costs. I am not sure if you are aware but in about 2008 there was a "bit of an adjustment" to the prices of homes around most of the country. In most places, that adjustment stopped construction because the price per square foot to buy used homes was less than the cost of construction alone (in some places less than the cost of materials).

A quick web search brought me to this page. Maybe is is possible to build below $100/ft?
    http://www.goldenstarproperties.com/125.html

$100 per sf in Berks County Pa?I know one builder who can do a house for that but ranch houses are more expensive per sf than basic two story houses, eg more roof area per enclosed sq foot and for sure more foundation footprint and thus a more expensive foundation and basement. Maybe if they are doing slab on grade with no basement, then $100 per sf is doable and maybe the $75 if just hard costs.

For a house that simple, I would charge $0.50 per sf for gross living area not including garage or basement area. Depending on the house, I used to charge half of that for the garage area (eg $0.25 per sf ) but generally don't. If they have a fancy porch or deck then charge the base rate for that too. If you run into overtime with a lot of back & forth with client changes, then charge them your hourly rate (mine is $40 per hr-same as a T&M carpenter rate that a builder here might charge (some are $50 to $60 now depending on company trucks and overhead).

If the project is from scratch and design intensive and requires a lot of detail then $1.00 and more per sf is appropriate.-Brad
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4