NEW USERS - Look before you Leap

I've seen many posts recently by new users who IMO have not looked at any training videos or the help files. One of the most common problems seems to be a lack of understanding of defaults and the basics of the Chief 3D Model (aka PLAN).

I have a Template that I've set up with my preferred defaults and I always use that as a starting point for a new project. It has default values for floor heights, cabinets, exterior and interior walls, etc. If I need something different I modify the defaults immediately before even creating one wall.

My first step is to create a terrain boundary and if I have the topography I enter it next.
    Then I create the basic exterior of the first floor. All rooms on the each floor by default will conform to the defaults.
    After I have created the interior walls I select each room and set the room types, ceiling heights, etc.

This process makes life much simpler later as the roof, foundation, doors, windows, cabinets, appliances and other elements are added to the project. Failing to have a step by step procedure that works with Chief can only result in confusion and frustration and unfortunately questions that shouldn't have to be asked. There are several Chief Talk members who will answer questions but it takes a lot of time to repeatedly answer the same questions over and over.

Before you even ask a question - SEARCH FOR PREVIOUS POSTS ON THE SUBJECT - better yet, review the videos and help files.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Joe

I will be a new user as soon as all the paperwork is completed. Your post explains, after watching numerous confusing but pretty sales pitch videos, exactly how I like to approach a new design project in my current program. I'm glad to hear I will be able to do this in a familiar fashion.
    Once I can access the training material, I know what my late night entertainment is going to be. Hopefully I will not have too many beginner questions because it is tough being a newbie at my age!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    I have a Template that I've set up with my preferred defaults and I always use that as a starting point for a new project. It has default values for floor heights, cabinets, exterior and interior walls, etc. If I need something different I modify the defaults immediately before even creating one wall.
    Joe, while I don't disagree with anything you've said, it might be worthwhile to point out that you can now import defaults in various categories from multiple projects; you don't have to take just one template and tediously modify it the way you used to.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

Quote Originally Posted by RMorrison View Post
    Joe, while I don't disagree with anything you've said, it might be worthwhile to point out that you can now import defaults in various categories from multiple projects; you don't have to take just one template and tediously modify it the way you used to.
    Good Point. Basically I'm just trying to point out that you need to have a good starting point and a fairly consistent methodology that uses Chief Architect efficiently.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium