Why do psolids and 3D moulding plines reference ground level?

Hi all,

I've been wondering for awhile (and also whether this is a stupid question) , but why is it that when creating a psolid or moulding polyline it's reference height is relative to ground level. Eg, if I want to create a solid on a 2nd floor level (say for wall tiles) I have to add the height of the lower floor, (plus floor system) to place it correctly. IAE, if I have created a 3D moulding polyline halfway up a wall, why is it that when you click on the moulding in 3D view, it actually shows the selected line at ground level?
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

(Smilies collection from the brilliant creative members of Deviantart and Freethought)

I don't know why, but I tend to draw p-solids in elevation view to get the wall I want it on but, sometimes I put a p-solid on a floor, but I don't want it to show, so I cut/paste to the attic and its still on the floor I put it on in elevation view but doesn't show in floor plan view..
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

I'm not sure why - but you can move them to the elevation you want.

OTOH, Slabs and Primitive Solids are created on the Floor Level at which you are currently working. That's one reason that I generally create them directly using one of those tools unless I need a more complex shape that I can't get except with a Polyline (which is very rarely the case).
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Here's one for the suggestion thread. How about letting the user determine from where measurements take place with simple radio buttons on the dbx. "Absolute" pegs the item to zero, and "Relative" sets the item to the current subfloor.

Just a thought.

jon
    Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHz/OC @ 3.1GHz
    32GB Corsair Vengeance SDRAM
    1.5TB HDD
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (332.21)
    3GB VRAM
    2X ASUS VN247H-P
    Wacom Intuos 4
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, SP1
    HDA 10 & HD Pro 2012
    Chief X5 & X6 w/SSA
    A note pad and #2 pencil

My Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by jcaffee View Post
    Here's one for the suggestion thread. How about letting the user determine from where measurements take place with simple radio buttons on the dbx. "Absolute" pegs the item to zero, and "Relative" sets the item to the current subfloor.

Just a thought.

jon
    Bin wishun that for years Jon. Would actually like to see relative and absolute (as referenced from floor 1 @ zero) reference options on all 3d items just to save on all the backwards calculating we have to do. Good re-suggestion.-BB
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

Some good observations, particularly with how it shows in plan view. If I draw it on floor 2 and it shows on floor two in plan view, but is actually residing on the lower floor, that's a downright PITA.
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

(Smilies collection from the brilliant creative members of Deviantart and Freethought)