Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Profile Lines

Profile Lines

I am forcing myself to draw more in CA to see if I can develop a flow that I can then speed up (hopefully save some time). One thing I always provide on my drawings - each one of them - are profile lines. I even provide profiles for my floor plans - in CA though the "siding" layer ends up somewhat creating that for me. Even though we are supposed to provide that line on the outside of windows and doors, I don't bother.

The only way I have figured out how to draw profile lines in CA is to redraw over the drawing line by line. Because lines auto-connect, I can't easily select outside lines and change their line weight. Does anyone have a better suggestion?? If you saw how fast it was to do these lines in Vectorworks you might understand more my frustration in finding something that works well in CA. Sketchup even does a fairly good job of placing profiles lines automatically.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Johnnyprc,

I am a bit confused by what you are calling "profile lines".
    Can you post a picture or explain further?

You can, for instance, specify that something like windows, walls, roof planes, etc, can have their own line weight (and color) set by the layer's Size (line weight) property.
    Have a look at the Vector View Options in the Send to Layout dbx.
    These settings along with the Surface Edge Lines settings in the 3D View Defaults may give you what you want.

In the attached pic (from Layout), I have thickened up (exaggerated) the windows, gutters and walls.

This is achieved by changing the line size for the appropriate layer, uncheck Use Edge Line Defaults in the Send to Layout dbx, and check Use Layer Settings in the 3D View Defaults dbx.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

In the altered image I show 3 colors. The profile lines should relate as such
    Blue/purple - the heaviest line in the image
    Orange -second heaviest (this portion of the building sits farther back so it should not read as strong as the Blue portion
    Green - third but still heavier than the line adjacent at the window as that line will make the window pop out.

That is the way I would push my pencil if I was still on a Mayline. In order to get this type of profile line it is still a matter of cad lines on your elevations.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	59609  
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."

This is one area I'd like to see improvement. When adopting Chief I made a choice to let go of some of the line work conventions I previously valued. I conceded that past the point of clarity & communicability with he field it was just a conciet for the architect or draftsperson. Though I still believe this, I would welcome linework improvements.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

Using anno-sets you can control all the line weights any way you want to. I like to use the wall detail layerset for cabinet elevations Once you set it up ,it's done. You can create a different anno-set for each elevation, if you want. I have a different Anno-set for just about every view sent to layout. I also print in grayscale to get those lighter lines and fills to make it pop, but its all automatic. Sometimes though if I go too light of a grayscale color. it won't show up. Just have to test it out and see what works for you. One more thing is the use of the reference sets ( I also have a reference set with just about every view sent to layout), You can use the light and dark lines to make it nice to look at and see 2 levels on 1 plan.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Some people might draw prolife lines differently - I draw them at the furthest outline like this. I am really looking for a quick outline tool of sorts.

Name:	profile.PNG 
Views:	217 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	59610  
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Using anno-sets you can control all the line weights any way you want to. I like to use the wall detail layerset for cabinet elevations Once you set it up ,it's done. You can create a different anno-set for each elevation, if you want. I have a different Anno-set for just about every view sent to layout. I also print in grayscale to get those lighter lines and fills to make it pop, but its all automatic. Sometimes though if I go too light of a grayscale color. it won't show up. Just have to test it out and see what works for you. One more thing is the use of the reference sets ( I also have a reference set with just about every view sent to layout), You can use the light and dark lines to make it nice to look at and see 2 levels on 1 plan.
    I'll try that Perry. Thanks.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Excuse my ignorance but what is the purpose of such lines?
    Regards, Frederick C. Wilt (Began with v9, now using X6 aka v16)

I'll tell you guys right now Chief needs to fix the line ends so they aren't rounded always. I can now see why people probably don't like profile lines in CA, since they are all rounded and look terrible the thicker they are. It gives off a rounded effect where there isn't supposed to be one - comes across almost pixelated.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Johnny,

It's really no different than if you were using a Rapidograph Pen. I suspect that you don't have the line weights right (your lines may be too thick) for the view. If it's coming out that way when printed then you should take a hard look at the Layersets. For the Plan (aka model) I don't use anything over about 30 maximum. It's much easier to see snap locations with the line weights turned off.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Joe - look at what happens to me. Even though there are thicker lines on the outside that matchup with the thinner lines inside - its "rounded" such it is a "soft" effect when I don't want one...make sense? Am I not doing this right?

Name:	lines.PNG 
Views:	181 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	59612  
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

I just did some print tests and its not nearly as bad as I thought. Yes, in other CADs I have where you don't have the rounded ends it is "sharper" in appearance, but its not the big issue I thought once I printed. It is the biggest issue on the "top" rounded element - as that does jet up some even on print that makes it appear not a sharp transition, but I have to be honest and say this isn't a "huge" deal. Would be nice to have square end options.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

JP,

The rounded line end shape can not be changed even though I would like the option to make sq. ends. The rounded line is the same size printed as is on the screen but you are printing at a much reduced scale than the screen so it appears less of an issue.
    I add a cad line around the entire building as an overall profiles set to 70 +/- and a few other cad lines to get the elevation to pop. If you increase the "Walls,normal" layer to 70 the casing around the windows will also be 70 and so will the line at the top of the foundation. I set my walls to be the same line wt. as I want the casings to be, then I add a heavier profile line.
    William Page Architects A.I.A.
    pagearch@whidbeyisland.com

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook
    Intel i7 CPU Q720@1.60 boost to 2.80 GHZ
    4.00 GB
    Graphics card 1GB Nvidia Geforce
    27" HDMI monitor

Yeah - I did some test prints and it wasn't nearly as bad in print as it appeared when I saw it on screen. I agree its a very minor issue then.

When you "add a cad line around the entire building" are you simply drawing a cad line or is there a way to have a line created automatically like the "lasso" polyline feature in Vectorworks? I tried searching the video tutorials online and couldn't find any toolset that does this.

Here is the simple process I am used to FYI...

I can "lasso" around the sections I want profile lines and/or all them - very simple. Hoping there is something like this in CA.

Name:	las1.PNG 
Views:	180 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	59613   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	las2.png 
Views:	186 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	59614   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	las3.PNG 
Views:	193 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	59616   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	las4.PNG 
Views:	192 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	59615   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	las5.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	59617  

X5
    Wacom 24HD

Cad line around building is manual. In VW you can use the lasso but no tool like that in CA.
    William Page Architects A.I.A.
    pagearch@whidbeyisland.com

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook
    Intel i7 CPU Q720@1.60 boost to 2.80 GHZ
    4.00 GB
    Graphics card 1GB Nvidia Geforce
    27" HDMI monitor