Fascia and Sub Fascia materials

Have you guys ever noticed that the wood grain for a fascia board runs opposite to the wood grain of a subfascia? I never noticed before. (I have a feeling JC has already noticed).

No soffit at roof eave, therefore the rafters and subfascia take on same material as the defined fascia material....... but the grains run in opposite directions. If you get the fascia correct, then the wood grain for the rafters is incorrect. Am I missing something?

So here is the solution, use the shadow boards for your fascia. Make your fascia very thin and then put the shadow boards on top. The fascia essentially disappears, is this crazy or what?
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Can you eliminate the fascia and just put the shadow board on the sub-fascia to achieve the same results? Will Chief give you that flexibility?-BB
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Boltz View Post
    Can you eliminate the fascia and just put the shadow board on the sub-fascia to achieve the same results? Will Chief give you that flexibility?-BB
    Yes, that was the point.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott,
    I don't quite understand why you're making the fascia thin in lieu of just eliminating it in the dbx. Sounds like you want the subfascia to be a framed member (2x6, 2x8 or whatever) with a finished piece of fascia trim for the "gutter board". Most builders here frame a 2x6 "subfascia" and clad it with a preformed aluminum fascia cladding. The Virginia builder I worked for in the middle '70's did not use a "subfascia", he directly nailed a 1x8 or 5/4x8 (or x6) directly to the end of the rafters or trusses. Of course all these conditions used a soffit not open rafter tails.

It doesn't seem right that Chief would have the fascia material effect the subfascia and rafter materials (is that what you said you discovered?).-Brad
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

I have thin fascia because I did not know how to completely eliminate it. If I could eliminate fascia I would, maybe I can and I did not realize. Could.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    I have thin fascia because I did not know how to completely eliminate it. If I could eliminate fascia I would, maybe I can and I did not realize. Could.
    I just played with it (my roof) and you can't make the fascia or sub fascia zero (1/16 is the thinnest) but you can uncheck fascia and/or subfascia and have either, or or both. Just select a roof edge and uncheck it in the roof plane specification box under framing.

The framing will need to be rebuilt to show the subfascia change but the fascia change requires no rebuild if you want it gone.

-Brad
    Last edited by Bradley Boltz; 07-13-2013 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Mo Info

BB, after you asked question I was wondering if you could turn off fascia. So if you can turn off fascia,can you still get shadow boards? I would check but I am on my way to the dreaded fishing trip. Sitting at ray's deli eating a surprise deli sandwich in Bishop.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

I don't know, I have x5 loaded but have not used it yet. I've never tried using shadow boards with x4 (are they even available before x5?). Will have to try it when I start an x5 drawing tomorrow. Hope you can have your fish and eat it too! I'm going downstairs and drink a beer with my wife and grill a few burgers. Enjoy your trip. -BB