Question Cabinet Crown Molding

Sorry if this was already posted.

In Default Settings, Cabinets, Wall Cabinets, I have added a molding that I want to appear on all wall cabinets. For some reason when I add the new cabinets, the moldings are not there. I have check all settings, layers, exited out of the program, etc, and they still do not appear. Is there something I'm missing. Thanks.

They appear in my plan. You have to change the default before adding the cabinets or use the "Set as default" tool at the bottom then add more cabinets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	default crown.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	59582  
    William Page Architects A.I.A.
    pagearch@whidbeyisland.com

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook
    Intel i7 CPU Q720@1.60 boost to 2.80 GHZ
    4.00 GB
    Graphics card 1GB Nvidia Geforce
    27" HDMI monitor

ZZ,

Not sure what version you are using but in any version if you want to set the default cabinet for all plans you need to do it in the profile plan and save it. A change in a current plan only applies to that plan. JUst expanding on Bill's post a little in the event that that is the case.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

I know this is not a direct answer to your question, but as a kitchen designer I want to offer you an alternative to creating moldings on cabinets quickly and easily. I like to use the poly line solid method. This is perhaps a more realistic way of applying molding in that it works somewhat like it would be placed in actual cabinet installation along the edge it is applied rather than around the entire plan view of each cabinet. I think this helps also in being able to calculate more realistically quantity of material for material lists.

It's so easy! Just draw a cad line in plan view around the edge of the cabinet group where you want the molding to go. Then convert the cad line to a poly line solid (there's a tool for that) and click on the tab to add moldings to it. You then just set the height of the molding (on the general tab) to the height you want it to appear in elevation.

This method is also helpful if you want to have seamless moldings in long runs especially if you are applying any kind of a finish that has vertical detail such as a glazed or antiqued finish or creating toe kick cover spanning multiple cabinets and covers the seams.

Chief X4 Premier (User since V9.0)
    Dell Studio XPS 8100
    Intel i7-860
    Nvidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB GDDR3
    8 GB Ram & 1 TB HD
    Windows 8
    www.pamdesigns.net

Quote Originally Posted by pamdesigns View Post

It's so easy! Just draw a cad line in plan view around the edge of the cabinet group where you want the molding to go. Then convert the cad line to a poly line solid (there's a tool for that).................
    Maybe you misspoke or I am missing something. Don't you mean turn the line into a 2D MOLDING, and not a POLYLINE SOLID?
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I know this is not a direct answer to your question, but as a kitchen designer I want to offer you an alternative to creating moldings on cabinets quickly and easily. I like to use the poly line solid method. This is perhaps a more realistic way of applying molding in that it works somewhat like it would be placed in actual cabinet installation along the edge it is applied rather than around the entire plan view of each cabinet. I think this helps also in being able to calculate more realistically quantity of material for material lists.

This method is also helpful if you want to have seamless moldings in long runs especially if you are applying any kind of a finish that has vertical detail such as a glazed or antiqued finish or creating toe kick cover spanning multiple cabinets and covers the seams.
    I think I understand what you are getting at, however I would bet applying the molding to the cabinet may be a more efficient method, particularly if you should happen to change size of cabinet, the molding would change also. I believe you are using your method so you can isolate each piece of individual molding. But I think you can do that by applying MULTIPLE moldings to the cabinet. Each unique piece of molding can have it's own material and I am assuming you would still get the breakdown of each individual molding in the material list. I also believe this would still give you SEAMLESS MOLDINGS for long runs.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Yep -- I misspoked alright! The tool is actually called 'Convert Polyline' tool (looks like a magic wand over a box) that brings up a menu where you choose the Molding Polyline radio button from the choices given on the Convert Polyline menu. Note I'm using X4 --it may appear different in other versions (though this function has been the same for as long as I can remember).

Dell Studio XPS 8100
    Intel i7-860
    8 GB Ram & 1 TB HD
    Windows 8
    www.pamdesigns.net

Yes Scott, you are correct in that the system will join the pieces in a run so long as the cabinets are perfectly aligned in height and depth. You can apply individual finishes to each molding type used in the poly line method as well. Note that if you decide to change the molding, you cannot simply change the default. You have to change each individual cabinet. Also note that if there is a space between cabinets the system will generate a return of default moldings on the sides between the space even if there is an auto generated filling between the two cabinets. I also like that you can simply indicate the height to the bottom of the poly line which is easier that futzing with where default moldings apply on individual cabinets. Additionally, you have a choice to show the molding in plan view. As far as I am able to tell the default moldings don't show in plan view. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moldings.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	59590 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polyline moldings.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	59591

Dell Studio XPS 8100
    Intel i7-860
    8 GB Ram & 1 TB HD
    Windows 8
    www.pamdesigns.net

Pam,

I agree with you but there are a couple of details:

1. I don't use "auto-fillers". If you place a filler manually then the moldings don't return improperly.
    2. If you use the Molding Polyline method you don't need to copy the Polyline - just apply different moldings at different vertical offsets.

I'm not sure if X4 allows the same amount of control of the vertical and horizontal offsets as X5 does - but at least in X5 there is full control of each molding.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Hi Joe,
    I rarely specify fillers at all as I prefer to use extended stiles. For this reason, I still use 20-20 when creating a specification for cabinet ordering purposes so using auto fillers for the drawing works fine for me. In the case for copying a poly line molding instead of creating a new one to go around the same group of cabinets, sometimes it's easier if there are a lot of angles, bends and depth details in the line. Using a poly line works well also if you are insetting a cabinet and the cabinet face is flush with the opening which is usually the case when I do refrigerator cabinets. This allows the crown molding to be mitered and returned at the sides. In this case if I use light rail molding applied to the bottom of the cabinet, itClick image for larger version. 

Name:	comparison.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	59592 spans from wall to wall and does not need to be mitered. Don't know about the control differences with X5 vs X4. Still on the fence about upgrading at this point.

Dell Studio XPS 8100
    Intel i7-860
    8 GB Ram & 1 TB HD
    Windows 8
    www.pamdesigns.net

Quote Originally Posted by No1ZZTopfan View Post
    I have check all settings, layer
    Cabinet Moldings are located on the CAD, Default layer. Makes no sense to me, but check to make sure that layer is set to display in your 3D views and Cross Sections if you want to be able to see moldings applied to cabinets.
    Chief Architect Premier X5

Athenian_CAD
    Yes, CAD, Default layer is on and molding displays in 3D but not in plan view when applied as a default to an individual cabinet. When moldings are applied to a poly line, they show up in plan view. Go figure....

Dell Studio XPS 8100
    Intel i7-860
    8 GB Ram & 1 TB HD
    Windows 8
    www.pamdesigns.net

Yes Scott, you are correct in that the system will join the pieces in a run so long as the cabinets are perfectly aligned in height and depth. You can apply individual finishes to each molding type used in the poly line method as well. Note that if you decide to change the molding, you cannot simply change the default. You have to change each individual cabinet. Also note that if there is a space between cabinets the system will generate a return of default moldings on the sides between the space even if there is an auto generated filling between the two cabinets. I also like that you can simply indicate the height to the bottom of the poly line which is easier that futzing with where default moldings apply on individual cabinets. Additionally, you have a choice to show the molding in plan view. As far as I am able to tell the default moldings don't show in plan view. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moldings.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	59590 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polyline moldings.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	59591
    This is what makes CA such a good program. Whilst I do not think I will use Pam's method for cabinet moldings, there are work arounds that enable Pam to get the results she needs for her work. I on the other hand use moldings for backsplashes and not the auto backsplashes.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Scott,
    Great idea to create backsplashes! I hardly ever use the auto backsplashes either but have been using the slab tool if I create them in plan view or sometimes I use the convert poly line tool if I create them in elevation. This is handy for creating special shaped splashes behind stoves like this one that I did in my own recent kitchen remodel.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	after 1.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	59604

Dell Studio XPS 8100
    Intel i7-860
    8 GB Ram & 1 TB HD
    Windows 8
    www.pamdesigns.net

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Sorry for the delay in responding to them.

Keno, I did that and still nothing.
    Dgavin, I'm running X4. I did that, too and it didn't work.
    Pam, that is a brilliant idea, I have tried poly on numerous on previous designs. I will surely give that a try.
    Athen, the layer was set correctly.