Gates in Railings/Fences

I can place a Gate from the Bonus Library in a Railing/Fence. However, if I try to replace that Gate with another from the Library - only the Doors in the Library are available - none of the Gates in the Library are available.

This is a bug.

Adrean, can you explain why this is?
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

I can replace gates without any problems. I just click on new gate in library and then click on gate in either plan or camera view, and it gets replaced.
    Kilgore Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    I can replace gates without any problems. I just click on new gate in library and then click on gate in either plan or camera view, and it gets replaced.
    I will try that. My method (attempted) was to select the Gate and then click on the "Replace from Library" icon. When I did that, only Doors were available, not the gates in the Bonus Library.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Sorry about that - I got a duplicate post and couldn't delete it.
    Last edited by Joe Carrick; 07-11-2013 at 08:00 AM.
    Windows 8.1

It's interesting - Kilgore's method works but my method doesn't.

I can replace a Door using my method but not a Gate. There has to be something strange about the Library definition.
    Windows 8.1

I think it has something to do with the whole "doors" vs. "doorways" thing. Did you ever try using the "add to library as" tool and notice that you can add a door to the library as either a "doorway", which is the whole thing including the casing, or as a "door" which is just the door panel? Depending on how you save it in the library will control where you can use it.

That's why I just use the click to replace method. It avoids some of this confusion.
    Kilgore Trout

Hey Joe.

"Replace from Library" on any door in your plan works only with the Door Jamb/Framed opening. Not the individual door panel used in the opening. This is why, if you were to expand the library that is visible when you used the tool, you would only seed the doorway and entryway objects in the library.

This is a program design and isn't really that related to the content itself. It has been logged as a confusion factor for future review.

Also, BTW, I don't typically troll this forum... it was only coincidental that I saw this today. I generally do my best to reply when someone asks a direct question, but it is good to remember that those are easy to miss on our big forum. If you want a sure answer, you are typically better off to contact our team directly.

Happy Gating!
    Adrean Stephenson
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    Sr. Content Developer
    Product Marketing Manager

Thanks Adrean,

Now the BLIND MAN sees. You can replace an entire DOORWAY from the Library but not a Door using that tool. The Click method can replace the DOOR within the DOORWAY.

I suppose this is because the DOORWAY is a Architectural Block while the Door itself is just a Symbol. OTOH other Symbols in the Plan can be replaced directly using the Replace from Library Tool. I'm still not quite understanding how or why it was programmed this way but.............
    Last edited by Joe Carrick; 07-11-2013 at 09:59 AM.
    Windows 8.1