Clipmap retrieval out of CA

Does anyone know where one can retrieve usable clipmaps from the models in CA. 3D plants are a great example. X5 has a tremendous library but when exporting in 3ds or VRML, these don't get transferred (as far as I know) and your plant leaves in particular all look like....look like....well, I don't think I have anything to compare it to and I'm at a loss for words....

I've tried to sift through all the files in three different formats to gain access to the maps; namely 3ds, VRML, and "Back up entire Plan" using the "...all reference files" selection to no avail.

Thx.
    Ivan Cyr

CA X5
    HP i7 Dual Quad Core 2.3GHz
    8GB Ram
    1GB GEFORCE GT 630M Video Card
    Win 7 64bit
    ivanatwork@sympatico.ca

I believe that the Backup Entire Plan actually works. You just need to go to the PNG file (the only image type with an alpha channel, I believe) and extract the alpha channel (clip map) into a separate file. I am not sure exactly how to do that but I know that this is what needs to be done.

I also think the exporting via VRML works as well, it's just, again, the matter of separating the alpha channel from the PNG. I export to VRML, then use Accutrans 3D to convert to an .xml file that can then be opened in Thea Render and the clip maps are all still there.

Hopefully that will get you pointed in the right direction.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Hi Bryce,

Thanks for the feedback. I did a little test with both 3ds and vrml into Thea by exporting a 3D plant (pine tree). The vrml was converted to xml via Accutrans 3D. There were 4 bitmap files, two for leaves, and two for bark. I didn't find anything resembling an A channel png file solely for a clipmap.

Is it possible for them to be hidden files? Is it possible that I have a setting in the accutrans that isn't converting the A channel clipmaps? I'm not overly familiar with Accutrans...just used the tutorial to make the xml files...I use it mainly for lighting and camera input into Thea and the odd model that exceeds the vertex limit of CA X5...but those models are usually solids (stoves, newels etc) and I simply put materials on them separately in Thea.

I'm interested to get CA X5 plants to work in 3rd party software....and having some trouble!
    Ivan Cyr

CA X5
    8GB Ram
    Win 7 64bit
    ivanatwork@sympatico.ca

When you import the WRL to Accutrans and then go to Save with Options, on the left hand column about half way down in that dbx, you should have a checkbox that says "Use PNG Alpha Masks". So, I get 3D plants to work fine in Thea. Can't say about other 3rd party software because this is more or less all I have ever used. In Thea, if you click on one of the 3D plant materials you will see the alpha mask when you check Clip Mapping and look at the very bottom right of the material dbx next to the word Texture and see the mask itself. So, the mask is a "channel" within the .png file.

Here is a link to a tutorial about trying to extract it as a separate file, but I have never had the need to do this myself so haven't tried it.

http://superuser.com/questions/20885...k-in-photoshop

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Accutrans.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	59565

Name:	Thea.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	59566

Chief X6 Beta

Thanks again Bryce. I think we're on the right track here. What build/version of Accutrans are you running...mine is showing 2012.1.0 and has a couple extra selections. My PNG A mask was selected.
    Ivan Cyr

CA X5
    8GB Ram
    Win 7 64bit
    ivanatwork@sympatico.ca

Name:	Accutrans01.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	59569Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pine Object2 Clip.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	59570Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheaBirch Clip.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	59571

Here's screen shots of what I'm seeing. First is my Accutrans settings as best set from the tutorial (its not an exact match). The next two are Thea pics of the clip maps of Thea's birch tree and one of the seven Pine tree trials I tried using different settings. As you can see, most trees via the interactive render are incorrect. The second from the left came in the clearest and I included that snip of the clip map. However, the truck and branches are invisible. I noted the clipmap and bitmap are the same file.

Again, any pointers? I sure appreciate your time with this.
    Ivan Cyr

CA X5
    8GB Ram
    Win 7 64bit
    ivanatwork@sympatico.ca

My Accutrans version is 2.12.3, so make sure you have the latest version. Also in the Open File dbx you want to check Center XY and Z0 before exporting. I am confused as to how your plant materials are showing in Thea. Note the difference between mine and yours. Mine has the material as placed on a sphere and the clip map activated. Maybe that has to do with the older version of Accutrans, I don't know.

Chief X6 Beta