Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How would you build the top rail for a handrail of a spiral stairs

I want to build a handrail for some spiral stairs. The handrail needs a radius with the start of rail 36" above the ground and the end of rail say................ 90" above the ground. Tried using a 3D molding but can't seem to get it to work. Any ideas?
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I'd use sketchup.
    I cant make a video right now. Have a look at the attached sketchup file. I separated out the individual steps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

Use a 3D Molding PLine that is just a 30 degrees arc and the end of the arc to match the stair rise in 30 degrees. Set the Molding to be centered on the PLine. Position one of these and then copy rotate about the center of the stairs with the "z" value matching the rise in 30 degrees.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

I just use a generic symbol and attach the detail sheet from "The iron shop". Those details say it all.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

like this. until they get better models.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sprial stairs.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	59551  
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Use a 3D Molding PLine that is just a 30 degrees arc and the end of the arc to match the stair rise in 30 degrees. Set the Molding to be centered on the PLine. Position one of these and then copy rotate about the center of the stairs with the "z" value matching the rise in 30 degrees.
    I don't get how you get the slope. It seems that the start should be at a specific ht. and then the end of arc is at higher ht., can't seem to figure this out. What part of your above statement addresses this?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    like this. until they get better models.
    Yeah, I get that. But my delta is 10', I can stretch symbol but that increases the rise and does not not increase the needed number of risers. Just did a vid on making a spiral stairs and it is really easy. The only tough part is getting a good curved rail. I can do it, but it could be improved upon if I can figure out how to slope the 3d molding handrail.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Hi Scott,
    I can come very close to a manufactured spiral using a Chief stair.

I can also isolate the railing and turn it into a symbol that I can use on a stair built from polyline solids

Name:	isolated rail.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	59553  
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

It sure would be nice if we had the ability to use the existing dbx and plug in Z elevation values for both the start and end when doing a spiral handrail, or perhaps other details as well. Seems to me like everything is there but the code to make it happen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpiralHandrail.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	59552

I will be interested to see where this thread goes as I will be starting a project with both a spiral staircase and a circular stair case.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Yeah, I get that. But my delta is 10', I can stretch symbol but that increases the rise and does not not increase the needed number of risers. Just did a vid on making a spiral stairs and it is really easy. The only tough part is getting a good curved rail. I can do it, but it could be improved upon if I can figure out how to slope the 3d molding handrail.
    Yes, that is a problem. Right now I just stretch a symbol and it does looks pretty bad. I just don't have the time to spend on creating the exact model. As long as I add a detail page it works for permit purposes. I would love to do it in Chief so I'll go watch your video. Still need the detail page though.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by billemery View Post
    Hi Scott,
    I can come very close to a manufactured spiral using a Chief stair.

I can also isolate the railing and turn it into a symbol that I can use on a stair built from polyline solids
    Bill, it sounds like we are building the same way, psolids for stairs and the rail per description below.

http://youtu.be/kziX-zqZDhs

My rail is segmented. I built a CA curved stairs with rail, took an overview, deleted all surfaces but rail and turned into symbol. It looks like you did same thing. Your rail is also segmented.

Joe seems to think he can build the spiral, waiting on work from him on how to do a SMOOTH (unsegmented) top rail.

Name:	SPIRAL STAIR JPEG BILL.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	59554  
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Wait, how about a curved ramp, not stairs, I will give it a try.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Yep, that works, and so much easier. Use a curve ramp, take overview, delete surfaces of ramp, railing remains, turn into symbol and all is well............... SUPER!
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Hi Scott,
    Here is a spiral done in Chief. Yes, the handrail is segmented, but it's close enough for me.I haven't tried it with a ramp

Name:	Chief spiral.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	59555  
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Quote Originally Posted by billemery View Post
    Hi Scott,
    Here is a spiral done in Chief. Yes, the handrail is segmented, but it's close enough for me.I haven't tried it with a ramp
    Bill, be very careful using the floor assembly as the landing. I believe the landing is provided by stair company. The stair landing by stair company is not as DEEP as your floor assembly. You could have head room problems using your thick floor assembly vs. the stair companies SHALLOWER landing assembly.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX