Vectorworks to CA

I am planning on purchasing CA and doing my residential and small commercial work on it. Is the learning curve from Vectorworks Architect going to be difficult? I need to be able to generate detailed construction plans and hopefully better 3D presentations. VWs is just too general and most residential objects are terribly outdated. I do not have time to look for outside sources and convert them for a library so I am hoping Chief's built in libraries will help with that.
    I need to plan my workload for the next few months and any input on what people see as a learning timeline would be appreciated. I can always transfer files to VWs for working drawings if necessary.

Hi,

JP and I have both used Vectorworks. VW has more great tools and better 2d line work and much better landscaping tools but I did not like the the lib./mouldings and renderings. When you want to look at a building section you have to place that section
    on a layout sheet in VW, CA just cut the section and do what you need to do and then remove section if you don't need it at this time. Mouldings in VW take about five additional steps to create. CA. works with just layers , no class and layers. CA. is based on creating rooms, that is the main difference. CA. is much better for residential and light commercial projects. For training I use Chief tutor .com, Chief experts .com and CA. lib. of training. Ca.'s user forum will give you more feedback .
    William Page Architects A.I.A.
    pagearch@whidbeyisland.com

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook
    Intel i7 CPU Q720@1.60 boost to 2.80 GHZ
    4.00 GB
    Graphics card 1GB Nvidia Geforce
    27" HDMI monitor

I don't know Vectorworks. I did work with Maya (3d modeling and puppet building for animation/film) for about 6 years prior to working with CA. Also about 20 years with Pencil v2. I did my first set of full construction documents with CA in the first 60 days of full time work. This was about 15 pages including details, sections, reflected ceiling plans... In that first month I bought 5 hours of one on one remote training and used this forum a lot. Honestly, it took about 6 months to become fairly productive. If I did it over again I would have gotten more individualized or group training.
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."

If you are trying to build models with Vectorworks - specifically residential as you mention - CA will seem like a dream come true in that regard. To me, CA feels a bit "old" in the tool structure and dialog driven menus - but I hear the new X6 will have enhanced UI, so I hope that relieves this issue greatly.

CA will excite you, and frustrate you - in the end there is much more excitement and your clients will love the presentations. Learning curve is steep in my opinion, but that mostly depends on the type of homes you are designing. If they are simple homes, I can't think of anything easier than CA.

I still use Vectorworks and Sketchbook Designer for "drawing" - but I am working with CA for the modeling and just recently started producing plan sets fully with CA. I would highly recommend CA overall.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

I'll just add that I'm watching a Vectorworks Webinar on BIM Landscaping right now. Whereas VW looks GREAT in presenting 2D landscape plans - its shockingly bad in the 3D model visuals. The exception to this seems to be large commercial glass structures - those look great. I don't know about you, but I don't design many multi-story glass structures - not a priority.

Even though this Webinar was to promote Vectorworks, it only sold me all over again on CA.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Thanks for the responses. This forum is a great selling feature.
    I do all types of design from smaller cottages to larger SIP panel commercial/residential projects, also many renovation projects.
    I find VW very frustrating to do presentations and too many steps for different alternatives. The construction drawings are beautiful but most contractors couldn't care less as long as they are clear and accurate. It's the presentations that my clients need that are becoming very important. I have also heard that the new X6 will be much better. Can always hope I am making the right decision.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyprc View Post
    ...................... I would highly recommend CA overall.
    This says a lot.......... Johnnypc appears to be very well versed with many different programs................ so when he says he would recommend the program, you may want to heed his advice........ and he is not even a member of The Choir, (we are still discussing whether we should let him in).
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall