Elevation cross section eliminating garage

I'd like to do an elevation of the main residence without the garage. The garage is skewed to the house and there is a short covered walkway between the garage and house.

The trouble is one corner of the garage protrudes across the orthogonal section line. Is there any way to do a "jogged" section cut or a way to hide the garage corner?

See the attached. Thanks, Cathy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7-7-2013 cross section elevation with garage corner.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	59534Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7-7-2013 cross section with garage corner.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	59535
    Catherine A. Learoyd
    Wynsong Home Design
    learoyd@ktc.com
    Chief X5 on Window 7 Pro 64-bit, 23" HD
    i7-2600@3.4G, AMD Radeon HD6450
    Not a happy CA camper

Use two cameras located as needed. Send both views to layout and resize layout boxes as needed to overlap the two elevations.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Thank you.
    Catherine A. Learoyd
    Wynsong Home Design
    learoyd@ktc.com
    Not a happy CA camper

It would be nice if we could draw the section cut line.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

It seems in CA if there is a klug work-around nothing will ever be done to do it "right" and in a way that is easier and faster for the user. Of course, that makes the definition of an CA expert a klug master. I'm glad we have klug masters but I wish CA would give some priority to make using CA easier and more logical from the designers' point of view. I don't want new features I want features that are easier and take less time to use. I'd love CA to get over their ego that they know best what the designer needs rather than letting the designer decide what that is. I have LOST so much time (and therefore income) because of how difficult CA makes so many things. Especially things that CHANGE for no reason that I can fathom. Why can't it ask me if I want that change rather than badger me with those useless annoying notices that you have to turn off every session. Why can't I lock these things so they don't happen when I'm trying to meet a deadline. Like the floor goes to -4" or a CA decides to use the electrical set instead of saved layout set for the floor plan. And, of course, the experts will say it is all user error and we know CA won't fix the users so we're up a creek. My new nickname for Chief Architect is Clug Architect. Now that I've vented some of my frustration I'll go get back to finding more klugs and work-arounds so I too can become a CA expert and tell everyone there are NO problems with CA. I'm sure there will be people taking exception to what I'm saying here and other that will applaud it. So what else is new -- not much.
    Catherine A. Learoyd
    Wynsong Home Design
    learoyd@ktc.com
    Not a happy CA camper

You say you don't want any kludges, workarounds, or new features. OK fine.

Then the answer to your original question "Is there any way to do a "jogged" section cut or a way to hide the garage corner?" is a simple "No". Can't do it. Sorry.

Personally, when I run into a problem like this, I appreciate it when others come up with solutions even if they are workarounds. I was almost going to mention that you could also set your cross section camera to use the "clip to sides" option but that's just another workaround and you probably wouldn't be interested.

I'm all for new features too because I think Perry's suggestion would be nice addition to the program. It would even be nice if we could just add a break to the cross section line and edit it just like a polyline. Either way, it would certainly eliminate using some of these workarounds.
    Kilgore Trout

My method would be to make the Garaqe on a totally separate set of Layers (Walls, Roof, Foundation, etc.). Then turn off the Garage Layers to show the House Elevation and for the Garage Elevation turn off the House Layers. The Layers don't have to be turned off in the Plan View, just in the Camera View.

Note: In order to not display some items (like Base & Crown Moldings you might have to turn of the "Room" Layer as well.

You might want to try just editing the two walls, roof, and foundation to separate layers that you can turn off (ie: copy the layers involved) I don't think you would need to do it for the entire garage.
    Last edited by Joe Carrick; 07-09-2013 at 11:52 AM.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Another option would be to just move the Garage about 5-10' further from the house (temporarily) and then send the elevation to layout. If Auto Rebuild Roof, Foundation, are on then you just need to select the walls to move. After the Elevation is sen t to Layout you can move the garage back to where it belongs.

Note: This is one thing that makes it nice not to have Elevation Layouts automatically updated. Sorry Scott - another case where "optional" would be best.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    ................. Sorry Scott - another case where "optional" would be best.
    Sorry Joe, this would not effect auto updateable elevations if you were to use my method. Very simple, had to do it maybe twice, not a problem, took 45 seconds to set up.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Sorry Joe, this would not effect auto updateable elevations if you were to use my method. Very simple, had to do it maybe twice, not a problem, took 45 seconds to set up.
    But I'm talking about my method. I could care less about your method
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    But I'm talking about my method. I could care less about your method
    I thought you were referring to your method, which is more work than my method.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX