XP crashed can I load 10 to Windows 7

Seems like a simple Q.

I don't think Ver. 10 is supported in windows 7, I know some people are doing it though. try the compatibility settings using "XP" mode
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

JRB is not asking whether its supported or not! Of course its not supported by chief, we already know that!

He is asking if it WILL run on windows 7!

Most older software will run on newer operating systems so long as a couple of things are kept in mind...you may need to use the older versions of drivers and you should ideally install the 32 bit version of windows not 64 bit. I have found that selecting the "run in compatibility mode" option almost never works for programs that are really playing up. Its a bit like trying to get windows to figure out a solution to a problem automatically. Half the time it finds nothing is wrong and the other half of the time... windows cant find a solution!

Note for the future when you have about $500 spare cash...BUY A NAS! (by the way a NAS is an acronym for Network Attached Storage). its like a home backup server...excellent investment and great place to keep a clone copy of you current system. You can have it update the image regularly if you want...that way, you don't have to stuff around for days trying to update the rebuild to where you were at just before the reinstall.

In life there are at least 3 absolutes...rain, taxes, and free advice from "self acclaimed experts"!:Sly:

JRB is not asking whether its supported or not! Of course its not supported by chief, we already know that
    That's what I said, read it again. And always run 64 bit if you can, In the 64 bit version of windows , you can always run 32 bit programs also but not the other way. It would not be smart to run 32 bit when you can run 64 bit. You can use more memory with 64 bit and more memory means faster system. The compatibility mode has worked for me with several things so trust it but always use 64 bit when possible.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

I've successfully run V10 on W7 32 and 64 bit versions. My version has the USB key. To run you need to have an update to the key management driver. What worked for me was install software on 64 bit windows 7. start Chief with the Key installed and it should notice there is a newer version update and asks you to update. Note it does this prior to checking the key. Select yes and you go to the web site. select the Vista upgrade 10.08b. It will download the RT patch utility and update the system including the driver for the USB encryption key. Restart Chief and it will ask you to register your copy. After that it works. I haven't run into any issues but I am using X5 now anyway.