3GB VRAM
    2X ASUS VN247H-P
    Wacom Intuos 4
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, SP1
    HDA 10 & HD Pro 2012
    Chief X5 & X6 w/SSA
    A note pad and #2 pencil

My Facebook

Thanks, guys -- that's helpful to know. I'll try a re-install. Hopefully that will fix things. My colleague says the file has been working fine for her, so it's gotta be my system.
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

castleview3d.com | (585) 520-4329 | kathleen.moore@castleview3d.com
    Follow us on: Facebook | LinkedIn | Houzz | Pinterest | Blog: "Life Should Be 3D"

Try using a different mouse. It sounds like you may have a stuck button. Or possibly a stuck key on the keyboard.

The behavior information is not stored with the plan. It can be toggled on via keyboard or mouse buttons.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

New batteries in the mouse?

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Nope, tried multiple keyboards and mice (meece?), same problem. But I finally did a Chief re-install/repair, which seems to have fixed it. At least I was able to work on the plan last night. We'll see what happens on the next round of plan "exchanges."

Thanks for the help and advice, everyone -- Chieftalk is a wonderful resource!
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

Follow us on: Facebook | LinkedIn | Houzz | Pinterest | Blog: "Life Should Be 3D"

If you've gone through meeces, keyboards, and software self-repair; and if--if--this occurs again, then the next likely suspects are a bad/failing ram chip/module, or motherboard battery. Battery is least expensive to replace. Intermittently/progressively failing RAM modules are notorious for causing hair loss and chewed fingernails; and are a bit more expensive to replace.

jon
    Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHz/OC @ 3.1GHz
    32GB Corsair Vengeance SDRAM
    1.5TB HDD
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (332.21)
    3GB VRAM
    2X ASUS VN247H-P
    Wacom Intuos 4
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, SP1
    HDA 10 & HD Pro 2012
    Chief X5 & X6 w/SSA
    A note pad and #2 pencil

My Facebook

Yes, it is happening again today, so I will check out some of these other possible causes. Thanks, Jon!

P.S. Why would these things affect Chief and nothing else? The only other weird thing going on with my computer is that the NumLock no longer works (i.e., I can't toggle the number pad from numbers to directionals, it's stuck on numbers).
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

Kathleen,

Check your settings for "Edit/Preferences/Edit/Behaviors/Edit Type". You may have selected "Concentric" instead of "Default".

I tried your Plan and that was the only way I could get that to happen. Note that Preferences are not Plan specific.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

I don't think that's it, Joe -- the same plan that was acting weird a while ago is now fine after closing and re-opening Chief, so it can't be Preferences. I think I must have a poltergeist in my software!
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

Do you have any hotkeys for setting "Concentric"? Maybe you hit something by accident.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

I've never knowingly customized any hotkeys. Could that have happened without me specifically setting it up?
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

I don't think this problem is related to a particular plan. Closing and reopening the program may reset some things which may give you this impression.

There are really only a couple of ways to tell Chief to use concentric edit.

1. Change your default edit behavior. This can be done either through the menu or in preferences. If this happens to you or any one else, first check your preferences or edit menu to make sure you are in the "default" edit mode. If you are not in the "default" edit mode, then change it so that you are.

2. You can manually change this on the fly by holding down a key or mouse button while editing. By default, if you hold down the "c" key or the "," key, the program will do a concentric edit instead of a normal edit. I believe that you can also setup a hotkey to do this but it is highly unlikely that this could have happened by accident. You can also use the X1 mouse button (which is only available on some mice). It is possible that you are having a keyboard or mouse problem that is causing the program to behave like you are holding one of these down even though you are not.

I can't think of any other reason for this to happen. If one of these is not causing the problem, then I would recommend contacting tech support for additional help.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

I think #2 might be the cause, since it sounds like it could be related to my NumLock key not working anymore. I will explore this avenue.

I have tried every possible setting in Chief where you can change an edit behavior, and have cycled through all of them, and when this glitch is happening, it changes ALL the edit behaviors to concentric.
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

NumLock stops working or is working "Funny" then motherboard battery is #1 culprit. (It also tells me your issue is likely hardware, not software) Motherboards use those nickel-sized disc batteries (CR2032). Be patient and always ground yourself before touching anything inside the box.

You cost hierarchy of fixes are:

1. New motherboard battery < $5 parts.
    2. New RAM modules $50 - $500 dependent upon module matching requirements of your box.
    3. New motherboard due to fried chipset (the chipset contains the CMOS (basic instructions for the computer--like Numlock) and is typically soldered to the board). Just get a new machine!

good luck.

jon
    Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHz/OC @ 3.1GHz
    32GB Corsair Vengeance SDRAM
    1.5TB HDD
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (332.21)
    3GB VRAM
    2X ASUS VN247H-P
    Wacom Intuos 4
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, SP1
    HDA 10 & HD Pro 2012
    Chief X5 & X6 w/SSA
    A note pad and #2 pencil

My Facebook

I searched online for "numlock not working." Someone suggested shift-numlock as a possible fix. Tried it. NumLock now working. Chief now working.

Go figure. The cat must have stepped on it or something.

I love the interwebs. <3
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render