Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Customising toolbars, version X5

I have customised toolbars in version X5 which also involved creating a third 'line' of tools at the top of the 'page' as well as another small toolbar at the bottom left-hand side (with undo/redo & delete points buttons only).
    My problem is that, even though I have 'locked' the toolbars they are 'jumping' to different locations. Eg the third 'line' at the top has now repositioned itself to the left-hand side of the screen. This then leaves no room for the automatic display once I click on an item (eg an object I want to move or copy/paste .... there is insufficient room for these commands to display).
    My question is - how can I lock the toolbars into position? I must be missing a step somewhere.
    Thanking you in advance,
    Lenita

Lenita,

I have yet to solve this problem in X5 - I just switch to a standard tool bar and then back to my own and for the most part it appears back the way I originally saved it. There is much discussion on this subject so try searching and maybe a few others out there will come back with a solid solution.
    Nick

New Zealand
    X6

Lenita,

Users have been complaining about this for eons, but I haven't seen it.
    When do the toolbars move? When you select an object? Some other time?

Don't forget that if you have different toolbar configurations for the various views (plan, 3D, section, etc), the toolbars will appear differently in each view.
    Is this when theyre jumping?

As far as I can tell, Lock Toolbars just stops you from selecting the toolbars and manually moving them in a normal drawing screen.
    I don't think it is a universal setting that locks all the tool bars in position once you have placed them.

I have Lock Toolbars unchecked and NEVER have a toolbar jump location. I sometimes use 2 screens and like to move my toolbars from screen to screen.

The Edit toolbar is a special case as it only appears when you select an object - I guess it has to find a place to go - is this when the jumping is happening?

I have always floated my Edit toolbar so I don't ever see a problem with it.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    Lenita,

Users have been complaining about this for eons, but I haven't seen it.
    When do the toolbars move? When you select an object? Some other time?

Don't forget that if you have different toolbar configurations for the various views (plan, 3D, section, etc), the toolbars will appear differently in each view.
    Is this when theyre jumping?

As far as I can tell, Lock Toolbars just stops you from selecting the toolbars and manually moving them in a normal drawing screen.
    I don't think it is a universal setting that locks all the tool bars in position once you have placed them.

I have Lock Toolbars unchecked and NEVER have a toolbar jump location. I sometimes use 2 screens and like to move my toolbars from screen to screen.

The Edit toolbar is a special case as it only appears when you select an object - I guess it has to find a place to go - is this when the jumping is happening?

I have always floated my Edit toolbar so I don't ever see a problem with it.
    Hi Glenn,

I like your suggestion of floating the edit toolbar - it seems that the toolbars jump when I select an object so this may indeed be the culprit. Can you tell me how to do that? Is it as simple as just dragging the empty 'bar' out into the screen? I'll give that a go and see if it solves the problem!

If it does .... then I dub you as being a 'genius' with troublshooting chief issues! Over the years I have admired your talent in digging deep and getting the most out of chief .... thankyou for all the tips you have imparted!

I'll try your suggestion and see if it works.

Thankyou,

Lenita

Thankyou for your reply Nick .... I was unaware that this is a known 'bug' .... glad it's not just me! Am going to try Glenn's suggestion of 'floating' the edit toolbar - might be just the solution.

Cheers,

Lenita

Lenita,

With Lock Toolbars unchecked, select an onject (make it easier to find) and the Edit toolbar will display somewhere.
    Drag it onto the drawing area.
    You can change it's shape by dragging the sides in and out, but I just keep it as a ribbon.

If you leave Lock Toolbars unchecked, you can drag it around and place it where you need it.
    If you ceck Lock Toolbars, you can't move it.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Thankyou Glenn ..... I have now managed to 'lose' this toolbar (oh dear ) .... how do I retrieve it??? I clicked the 'x' to close it - stupidly - obviously it will disappear once I've selected an edit tool to use ......

Lenita,

Close and reopen Chief.
    Oh, and don't use the X to close it. :-)

Or you can switch to another tool bar configuration (like Terrain) and switch back again.
    Last edited by Glenn Woodward; 06-11-2013 at 12:17 AM.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Hahaha!!! Thankyou so much, Glenn! What a simple solution staring me in the face. So now I'll experiment & see if floating the edit toolbar stops my other toolbars from jumping around ..........

Lenita

To follow up on this thread - at Glenn's suggestion (thankyou) I have now set the edit toolbar to 'float' rather than remain docked - this seems to have fixed my problem of toolbars 'jumping' around. Over the next week or so I'll keep testing this out .... but it may very well prove to be the solution those of you with a similar problem have been looking for.

If I don't post anything further on this thread, then you'll know my particular problem has been solved ........

Cheers to all,

Lenita

Thanks Glenn - I'm now floating the edit tool bar too - I'll keep you posted
    Nick

New Zealand
    X6

Glad I read this thread - I was having the same problem - good solution.

I know I am getting the rep. as a CA basher, but why would they not fix a functional bug like this? I used to consult on UI design for a local software company (says more about small community I am in, not my abilities), and this is the type of bug that wouldn't make it out of beta not fixed. Other program function related bugs may not be fixed, which we know CA has a lot of, but this is basic UI design/function issue...simple known code solutions exist already.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Predictions are X6 will have a redesigned UI
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyprc View Post
    Glad I read this thread - I was having the same problem - good solution.

I know I am getting the rep. as a CA basher, but why would they not fix a functional bug like this? I used to consult on UI design for a local software company (says more about small community I am in, not my abilities), and this is the type of bug that wouldn't make it out of beta not fixed. Other program function related bugs may not be fixed, which we know CA has a lot of, but this is basic UI design/function issue...simple known code solutions exist already.
    There are a lot of things that don't get fixed, Why? I don't know, they do what they do. There also haven't been a lot of bug fixes this time around. WE haven't seen any for a long time now. Is everything perfect? I figure they have there hands full with the new UI. I just learn to make do with what I have now and hope for the best later.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

To follow up - I have so far found that when I am working in plan view and the edit toolbar floating instead of being docked the toolbars seem to be staying put. BUT, when I swap to CAD detail view (still working on the floor plan) - when I select a CAD object, the edit toolbar is docked on the side instead of floating. I pulled it back off the side to make it 'float' again, but the minute I selected another CAD object it had jumped back to the side of my screen.
    So ..... all is not yet fixed! I will continue to trial this & report on what happens.
    Incidentally, I do not use drop down menus - I prefer, instead, to use the parent/child menus ......... perhaps this could be a cause of the problem?? Just a thought.