Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Stud wall cuts itself at intersection with glass wall

The partition separating Niche from shower, ends a few inches short (where it meets the glass wall), and shows exposed wood stud.
    Before I added the glass wall it ended in line with the rest of the wall (and curb, and niches).

I cannot bring the standard interior partition forward to be inline with the curb and niche wall!!
    any help would be appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t14hiegi3d...20May%2017.zip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wall dividing shower niche.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	58927   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wall dividing shower niche Picture.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	58928  
    Best regards
    Daniel Brodsky
    Chief Architect X5 Premier

When that happens to me, I just cap it with a slab or p-line solid, set to the desired material.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Design View Post
    The partition separating Niche from shower, ends a few inches short (where it meets the glass wall), and shows exposed wood stud.
    Before I added the glass wall it ended in line with the rest of the wall (and curb, and niches).

Daniel,

It would appear the glass wall as you identify is creating the problems. It's hard to see from your pic, I've tried enlarging it and this is what I think: The main wall is connecting to the end of the glass wall as it should. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glass Wall.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	58931[

Have you tried pulling the glass wall forward? In another thread I posted creating a new wall type called "painted stud" and paint the stud the same material that you want to match it to. (Do this in the wall definitions box when you create the wall type. It wont work with the material painter).
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

(Smilies collection from the brilliant creative members of Deviantart and Freethought)

I just dealt with this. Make an invisible wall perpendicular to the offending wall to control length of problem wall. This has been discussed before.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    I just dealt with this. Make an invisible wall perpendicular to the offending wall to control length of problem wall. This has been discussed before.
    I was thinking about whether this is truly a bug or not. I do not consider it a bug, if CA feels it is a bug, I hope they are very careful when they fix it. Consider the problems that would arise if we did not have this auto connect tool available. We would be forever fixing wall connections.

And whatever "fix" they come up with, it probably would not be any more user friendly than the invisible wall solution. A bonus with the invisible wall solution, it is easy to espy the special condition.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Yes, it does seem to be connecting to the glass wall, which seems very smart, but not in the case that the glass wall is located in the middle of the "wall" (curb and soffit), and I did try to pull it, it didn't help.
    At least now I know that it isn't something I have done wrong.
    Thank you for your help
    Best regards
    Daniel Brodsky
    Chief Architect X5 Premier

....and I did try to pull it, it didn't help.
    Daniel,

This is what I get when I pull the glass wall forward. (I haven't adjusted your plines etc, just the glass wall). I also have created a separate wall type as I described earlier with a painted stud.

I do concur though, that a wall should lock to where you want it, not where it feels like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glass Wall plan.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	58941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glass Wall 01.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	58942  
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

(Smilies collection from the brilliant creative members of Deviantart and Freethought)

If it's been discussed before, shouldn't it be indentified/reported as a bug?

Realistically he (or anyone else having this problem) should be able to specify a wall length and lock it in. Chief shouldn't overide the wall length specification entered and make it's own assumption where the wall should end. if so, what was the purposes of radio buttons to lock a wall into a specified length?
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

Well Rod, please report it. This is nothing new. This is old news. So you have been using this program since 2006 and you did not realize this. Don't you think this has already been reported? Don't you think CA knows about this issue by now? I am interested in immediate solutions now. I can't wait for CA to fix this. I was really disappointed with your solution for the OP, especially considering your experience. And DJP's was a worse solution.

Sorry, I just realized you have been using this program since V.1.

What is really disappointing is I did a video on this very subject. Do you guys know so much that it is not worth your time to view a video? A free lesson and you can't bother to watch. Unbelievable, you have been using this program since V.1, and you did not recognize the problem. Do you realize you have probably been using this program longer than any of the programmers have been working at CA.

Sorry to be such a jerk, but I just get a bit frustrated when I don't feel the user base is becoming as knowledgable a I think they should be, especially with the many resources that are available.
    Last edited by dshall; 05-21-2013 at 09:33 PM.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

My 2 cents . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    If it's been discussed before, shouldn't it be indentified/reported as a bug?
    YES!

This is nothing new. This is old news. So you have been using this program since 2006 and you did not realize this. Don't you think this has already been reported? Don't you think CA knows about this issue by now?
    You know what they say about assuming.

I always err on the side of reporting something. Maybe you think it's been reported, but it's really a different, but similar issue.

The powers that be have stated more than once that the more something is reported, the higher a priority it is for them to fix it because they know its affecting more than just one person.

It takes less time to shoot a ticket on in to the Chief support folks than it does to compose a nice little rant up here on ChiefTalk, and in my experience, gets better results.
    Chief Architect Premier X5

Thank you guys for your help.
    Above and below the Shelf unit I made it out of 2 sofits. Now with the invisible glass wall at front, the walls looks good, but I still have that tiny space from the sofits being recessed from the face of the wall. I tried to bring the sofits forward, but it always stays like that? any suggestions?
    As Bill highlighted.

Part of the reason your soffit doesn't appear to line up is that when you are working in plan view, Chief doesn't show drywall at the end of the wall, but it does in 3D view. So whatever thickness drywall you are using, you have to move the soffit out by the same distance.
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

Well awfully sorry Scott that I'm not up with the "in crowd"

So you're 4 versions ahead of me and it's still happening. I tried to offer Daniel assistance with the limited tools at my disposal. Have you checked if my guess was correct, if I'm wrong please clarify. If I am correct are you still going to brow beat me into submission? Why is your solution with yet another workaround any better than mine or Davids' efforts to help. Who died and made you King!!!!!

You guys at the forefront should be jumping up and down about "old news". I can only check on things I find when seeing what the new version has to offer by downloading the trial and in instances where I have found the same nagging faults in the newer release, I have made it known. As I am not current and don't have SSA, can I still submit a ticket to Tech support?

It's not often I do get to help others around here, so when I get the opportunity, I like to think what I do contribute (my silly jokes aside) has some merit. Or do I need to go spamming the forums with videos to make a point of just how helpful I am or aren't.
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

Sorry Rod, I did not realize you are still using V10 or is it V11. I thought you were a regular user of the program and therefore you were in a "learning and advancing" mode. My bad, I am sure your advice was greatly appreciated.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Sorry Rod, I did not realize you are still using V10 or is it V11. I thought you were a regular user of the program and therefore you were in a "learning and advancing" mode. My bad, I am sure your advice was greatly appreciated.

Hey Scott. I'm worried about you after yesterday and my foundation and this I'm wondering if you are off your meds. Happy Memorial Day Weekend. Play some golf and relax.

Ron

Ron Ravenscroft
    RAVENSCROFT ARCHITECTS, LTD.
    20611 N. 17th WAy
    Phoenix, Arizona 85024
    623-434-0092 - 480-797-6894
    rrarchpa@cox.net or ron@raltd.net
    Version4 to X5 and beyond

Thank mate, it's all good again. Name:  grouphug.gif
Views: 544
Size:  1.2 KB
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1