Scott:

everyone has different learning methods

I spend 30+ years as a programmer - most of it as a contractor
    I spent 18-24 months at each site such as Marriott or USair etc

each place had its own software/hardware etc
    to ramp up to speed and be productive I would ask to see a working program

then I would study how the dots were connected
    doing that I could then work in that environment in short order

without a working sample I would be left to "guessing" how to get things to work

once I "learned the ropes" I would usually then improve the process
    and eliminate steps and a few times even made it so that one click would
    execute a script and do the entire task

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    Scott:

everyone has different learning methods.....................

So what is your point? Someone asked, I answered. If you have a different method, use it, I don't care. As far as I am concerned, I hope nobody listens to me, less competition for me. I am explaining what works for me and hopefully in this process I point out the pros and cons of any method I propose. A perfect example of someone pointing out a possible method of achieving a goal was a recent post by Dermot,

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Dempsey View Post
    If you check the "Use Object Settings" option in the Change Floor/Reference dialog, you can display the roof fill style for the reference floor.
    while this may be a solution to an immediate problem, he did not explain the downside of such an approach. We are a community that I would like to think, works together to help each other out. Let's drop our egos and share and learn from each other. This approach will benefit all of us, us being the end user and hopefully CA, because without CA we would not even be having this discussion.

My goal is to become more efficient and productive using this program. I understand that at times I am not the most tactful person on this site, hence the nickname, "The Bridge Troll". I feed off the users that share this site with me. Whether they be newbies or experienced users, I try to learn from all of you guys, either by your questions or your answers.

Nuts, can you believe it, it is already the Month of May, boy, how time flies.................. let's make some money this year guys, the economy is turning around.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott:

my point was - why not share your annotation sets....

we can study them and learn from them

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    Scott:

my point was - why not share your annotation sets....

we can study them and learn from them

Lew
    Oh, you want to learn from them, noble idea. Quite frankly, I could not learn from them and I created them. You just have to do them, it's really easy peasy if you follow the vids. As I said before, if a bunch of dumb high schoolers can do them, so can you professionals. Ask Dave from the Shady Maple Site. He learned how to do it and he is teaching his kids, and they are probably putting together better anno and layer sets than I did. I bet they are putting together sets that meet their needs, and not working with some older antiquated sets that I began putting together 3 or 4 years ago.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Give him a fish and eat for a day,teach to fish and eat for a lifetime.
    Scott's annoset vids are great, look carefully and you will see most of his annosets and layer sets then adapt
    what works best for you and your business.
    William Page Architects A.I.A.
    pagearch@whidbeyisland.com

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook
    Intel i7 CPU Q720@1.60 boost to 2.80 GHZ
    4.00 GB
    Graphics card 1GB Nvidia Geforce
    27" HDMI monitor

Scott and JT, for me the MRLS is the way to go, once set up, its automatic for all your future plans. It needs a couple little fixes, then its perfect. It has to do with remembering what plan type its associated with, you have to remember for it.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by kenoeightspot View Post
    Give him a fish and eat for a day,teach to fish and eat for a lifetime.
    Scott's annoset vids are great, look carefully and you will see most of his annosets and layer sets then adapt
    what works best for you and your business.
    Thanks Bill, this is an exerpt from a PM from Dave "The Shady Maple" guy,
    ............. Your anno sets are killing it for us. They make things so clear and organized for us............
    , Dave has it wrong, they aren't my anno sets, they are CA's anno sets, but I will tell you, when I got this from Dave, it made my day. I am so glad they are "getting" what CA has provided for them. Dave took the time to learn the system, and it is paying off for him and his kids. And because of the program CA has provided for them, they are winning drawing contest they are entering.......... that is so great. I love it when the next generation is preparing for their next phase in life................. it will pay for my retirement.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    So what is your point? Someone asked, I answered. If you have a different method, use it, I don't care. As far as I am concerned, I hope nobody listens to me, less competition for me. I am explaining what works for me and hopefully in this process I point out the pros and cons of any method I propose. A perfect example of someone pointing out a possible method of achieving a goal was a recent post by Dermot,

while this may be a solution to an immediate problem, he did not explain the downside of such an approach. We are a community that I would like to think, works together to help each other out. Let's drop our egos and share and learn from each other. This approach will benefit all of us, us being the end user and hopefully CA, because without CA we would not even be having this discussion.

My goal is to become more efficient and productive using this program. I understand that at times I am not the most tactful person on this site, hence the nickname, "The Bridge Troll". I feed off the users that share this site with me. Whether they be newbies or experienced users, I try to learn from all of you guys, either by your questions or your answers.

Nuts, can you believe it, it is already the Month of May, boy, how time flies.................. let's make some money this year guys, the economy is turning around.
    Quite frankly Scotts layers and ref sets are actually to involved even for me, and I understand them. He has a lot of them, I would go nuts trying to figure it out, and I have tried to do it. They work beautifully for him. its best to develop your own for piece of mind and to learn how you do it. Mine are simpler because my wife says she wants me around a little longer. She also say's Scott's Mrls is bigger than mine.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    .........................She also say's Scott's Mrls is bigger than mine.
    LOL, Lynn might not agree with this, and if it is so, Lynn would feel bad for Penny. LOL
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

................ it will pay for my retirement.
    Nothing we can do will pay our retirements, you will need cash for that.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    One final comment, Dave (From the Shady Maple Site, a high school teacher who is teaching his kids CA), PM'd me recently and said he and the kids are "killing it" with the anno sets that I taught him. If a high school teacher can take the time to learn the system to teach to his kids, I don't see any reason why a professional wouldn't take the time to learn the system. It is a mystery to me why more people on this site do not take full advantage of such a powerful tool that CA has made available.
    I don't want to use your anno set Glenn, but by quickly cycling through a working set, back and forth, on and off, it would cement the process for me. Right now, yours look to cumbersome and verbose for me to use in my work. I'd prefer simple. You've pushed the boundary which will highlight all the issues. The video's just were not clear enough for me to get what was done, step by step.

Do you know if one can export and save anno sets from one drawing to the next. I sure would not want to recreate it each time. That'd be a deal killer.
    -=JT=-

Set up a "Template" plan with everything set the way you like it, just delete all of the drawing graphics then save as a template.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Template.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	58801  
    William Page Architects A.I.A.
    pagearch@whidbeyisland.com

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook
    Intel i7 CPU Q720@1.60 boost to 2.80 GHZ
    4.00 GB
    Graphics card 1GB Nvidia Geforce
    27" HDMI monitor

Quote Originally Posted by kenoeightspot View Post
    Set up a "Template" plan with everything set the way you like it, just delete all of the drawing graphics then save as a template.
    Yep, listen to Bill, do not do any of that verbose stuff, I try to avoid that at all costs.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

JT
    Go back and watch Scott's SAM video's and see if his way is good for you.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Its late and I'm tired, and I cannot get to Taco Bell. So Scott, I'm having trouble getting the MRLS to display correctly. I've created one (several) and used them and displayed them correctly before, but now I'm at a point where when I click on the ref set, check that it is my modified choose ref set, it will not display the colors, and line types I've choosen. I've tweak the Change Floor/Reference dbx display options over and over, but nothing I do will get my changes to display anything but the red default ref set. What am I missing??
    -=JT=-