Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bravo, Jim! Set the fill pattern in roof defaults, then just group-select the intersecting roof planes and change pattern angle to 90 degrees. Presto. The outline of the floor below still has to be done with a p-line. But all-in-all, pretty slick.

D
    Dorothy Howard AIA
    Architect
    Coronado, CA
    dhowardaia.com

X4 64-bit

Now, if the roof plane fill was a separate layer, like room fill, THAT would be awesome...
    OK, I guess technically, there isn't a room FILL layer, just a Room layer, but turning off the Room layer only seems to turn of the room fill, the Room itself is still sectable

D
    Last edited by dhowardaia; 05-09-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    Dorothy Howard AIA
    Architect
    Coronado, CA
    dhowardaia.com

X4 64-bit

I guess I did get that hatching the roof plane method, as it was what I used. So then what is a "hatched Pline" to achieve the same look? and why use that instead of the previous hatching a roof plan using the fill command?
    -=JT=-

Well if we are asking for something awesome, then why not have a radio button in the roof plane dialog box that would automatically use and show the vector image in the correct orientation? You could have it set in the "default preference tab" and turn it on and off there, as well has have it set to a special layer like Roof-Gutters are so you could tweak its color.
    -=JT=-

Quote Originally Posted by dhowardaia View Post
    Bravo, Jim! Set the fill pattern in roof defaults, then just group-select the intersecting roof planes and change pattern angle to 90 degrees. Presto. The outline of the floor below still has to be done with a p-line. But all-in-all, pretty slick.

D
    I feel like I'm only hearing one half of the conversation.
    Could you do a quick screen capture and show me where you see a "set the fill pattern in roof defaults"
    I cannot find anything like that, so I could be looking at the wrong "roof defaults" screen.
    -=JT=-

I could not wait to get back to comment on this. Great post. My comments are based on what I learned about the MRLS when if was first introduced in X-3

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Johnson View Post
    You could try a closed polyline duplicating the roof's shape and then give it a shingle fill. Put it (them) on their own layer so you can turn them on/off as needed. You'll need to do more than one to get the orientation of the shingle pattern going the right direction.
    A non starter for me, I try to minimize CAD work as much as possible. Roof planes are already there, let's use them. If they change, no editing of CAD work is required.

To my knowledge, Curtis' method is your only choice. .............
    No, the MRLS is the solution............. with some restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by mgabriel View Post
    why not display the roof plain with textures on the floor you wish, then use reference sets to show the roof perimeter (dashed line) on the other floors...
    A non starter again, the roofs should be on a specific level..... the level it roofs for framing reasons

Quote Originally Posted by ebdesign View Post
    You won't be able to display the roof hatch pattern w/ reference sets; at least I don't think you can. Scott would know that.

I know you can show the hatch pattern as Dermot states in a future post

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Dempsey View Post
    If you check the "Use Object Settings" option in the Change Floor/Reference dialog, you can display the roof fill style for the reference floor.
    Yes, but that will apply to ALL REF SETS. There are many instances where I will use a fill but I don't want all of the fills to show on all ref sets. So how can this be improved? By allowing USE OBJECT PROPERTIES to be REF SET SPECIFIC, or even better, allowing USE OBJECT PROPERTIES to not only be REF SET specific, but also LAYER SPECIFIC. I know confusing, but think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by joey3032 View Post
    I use hatched plines to achieve this look. I have also done them by using the roof plane itself with the hatching turned on, but I generally don't want the hatching to show on the Roof Plan, so I use plines. It's not all that much trouble to get this look.
    I get it, but it is CAD work I would rather not do.

..................... The outline of the floor below still has to be done with a p-line....................
    Again, more CAD work, this can be achieved by ref'ing the walls below with some sacrifices (showing both interior and exterior face of wall in lieu of only exterior face, a small sacrifice as far as I am concerned)

Now, if the roof plane fill was a separate layer, like room fill, THAT would be awesome...................
    Now we are thinking, but I think this can be achieve if the MRLS was improved a bit by " By allowing USE OBJECT PROPERTIES to be REF SET SPECIFIC, or even better, allowing USE OBJECT PROPERTIES to not only be REF SET specific, but also LAYER SPECIFIC."

This is a good thread, it gets us all thinking about the possibilities.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Dempsey View Post
    If you check the "Use Object Properties" option in the Change Floor/Reference dialog, you can display the roof fill style for the reference floor.
    I hate to admit this, but I was trying to find any reference to the "Use Object Properties" in the 1200 page manual search, when I found nothing. So I started to read up on the roof planes, and much to my surprise I found something I did not notice before. The "display roof pitch" layer label!! You can turn on a layer which will show the pitch of the roof. That just saved me an hour or more on my more complicated plans! Thanks Chief.

And what is a MRLS? Some kind of military Mobile Rocket Launch System?

I can now see that it would be nice to have that "label" layer in Ceiling planes too!
    -=JT=-

Quote Originally Posted by jtcapa View Post
    I hate to admit this, but I was trying to find any reference to the "Use Object Properties" in the 1200 page manual search, when I found nothing. So I started to read up on the roof planes, and much to my surprise I found something I did not notice before. The "display roof pitch" layer label!! You can turn on a layer which will show the pitch of the roof. That just saved me an hour or more on my more complicated plans! Thanks Chief.

And what is a MRLS? Some kind of military Mobile Rocket Launch System?

I can now see that it would be nice to have that "label" layer in Ceiling planes too!

Dermot misspoke and so did I, the correct term is USE OBJECT SETTINGS, not USE OBJECT PROPERTIES. If you still can not find this in the manual, watch some of my MRLS videos. If you do a search you will find an explanation of the MRLS and you can also find the videos I am referring to.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

You're right JT. You can select a roof plane after it's created and there is a "fill" tab, but NOT in the roof defaults dbx! Now, WHY IS THAT????

And, I concur with the radio button idea. Chief already knows what the roof material pattern and orientation are, so why not give us the option to show it, preferably on its own layer so we can turn it off easily.

D
    Dorothy Howard AIA
    Architect
    Coronado, CA
    dhowardaia.com

X4 64-bit

, preferably on its own layer so we can turn it off easily.

D
    You can do this now by making the fill "Use Background Color" - it won't display and it won't print.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    You can do this now by making the fill "Use Background Color" - it won't display and it won't print.
    Oooops, Glenn, can you elaborate further on what and how you would use this.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

D.

Not much to explain.
    Just pointing out that if you have a hatched object, you can make the hatch invisible and not print by making it "Use Background Color".

You might use it when you want to hatch an object, but instead of deleting the hatch for an effect and then re hatching, just do the above as an alternative.
    Same as having the hatch on it's own layer and toggling it on and off - as per the request.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Dear Mr. Troll,

I watched some of the youtube video's on using the MLRS or the Annotation sets, and can see that there is a lot of power in that feature. Unfortunately, the video's made it seem very complicated and time consuming. I'd learn quicker if I could import a custom annotation set that you made. Considering all the time that goes into making these sets and tweaking the layers, I assume there is an easy way to export them and use them on the "next" project, by either saving it as a template or exporting it as you would a line type??
    -=JT=-

Quote Originally Posted by jtcapa View Post
    Dear Mr. Troll,

I watched some of the youtube video's on using the MLRS or the Annotation sets, and can see that there is a lot of power in that feature. Unfortunately, the video's made it seem very complicated and time consuming. I'd learn quicker if I could import a custom annotation set that you made. Considering all the time that goes into making these sets and tweaking the layers, I assume there is an easy way to export them and use them on the "next" project, by either saving it as a template or exporting it as you would a line type??
    I would be doing you a disservice if I gave you my anno sets and layers sets. The anno and layer sets are ever evolving thus you really should learn how to set them up yourself. If you used mine, you would spend more time learning my crap than just doing it yourself. I would highly recommend spending a day learning how to do it. The one day you spend learning the system will pay for itself on your next project.

signed Mr. Troll, (the Bridge Troll to my friends), you can call me "The Bridge Troll" and my really good friends (like Glenn Woodward can call me "d dot" or simply "d"
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

One final comment, Dave (From the Shady Maple Site, a high school teacher who is teaching his kids CA), PM'd me recently and said he and the kids are "killing it" with the anno sets that I taught him. If a high school teacher can take the time to learn the system to teach to his kids, I don't see any reason why a professional wouldn't take the time to learn the system. It is a mystery to me why more people on this site do not take full advantage of such a powerful tool that CA has made available.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX