Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Display roof from floor below

This is a common drawing issue that highlights the difference between Chief and other CAD programs.
    Any idea how does one display the roof hatching from the first level on the second level plan view without moving
    the roof plans to display one level up? I want the dashed line on the first floor, but want to see the roof and hatching from
    the second floor like so...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roofquestion.jpg 
Views:	510 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	58773
    -=JT=-

You could try a closed polyline duplicating the roof's shape and then give it a shingle fill. Put it (them) on their own layer so you can turn them on/off as needed. You'll need to do more than one to get the orientation of the shingle pattern going the right direction.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by jtcapa View Post
    This is a common drawing issue that highlights the difference between Chief and other CAD programs.
    Any idea how does one display the roof hatching from the first level on the second level plan view without moving
    the roof plans to display one level up? I want the dashed line on the first floor, but want to see the roof and hatching from
    the second floor like so...

Name:	roofquestion.jpg 
Views:	510 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	58773
    Perry. Any comments?
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

To my knowledge, Curtis' method is your only choice. If you're willing to "show roof planes on level above", you could set the fill for the predominant roof plane orientation to custom>shingle (or whatever). Any planes that are perpendicular would need a filled polyline with the pattern rotated
    Dorothy Howard AIA
    Architect
    Coronado, CA
    dhowardaia.com

X4 64-bit

why not display the roof plain with textures on the floor you wish, then use reference sets to show the roof perimeter (dashed line) on the other floors...
    Mike Gabriel
    TLC Builders, LLC
    www.tlcbuildersllc.com

17" MacBook Pro (Thanks Chief, no BootCamp required!)
    X3, X4, X5, X6 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by mgabriel View Post
    why not display the roof plain with textures on the floor you wish, then use reference sets to show the roof perimeter (dashed line) on the other floors...
    Interesting idea. I was naturally hoping that it was as simple as turning on a specific layer or clicking a radio button, but alas that is not the case...yet. It would be a nice update. But your idea of using the reference set to show the roof perimeter is smart. I've not tried using the reference set like that, but remember I had accidentially printed the reference set on in one drawing, so I know that it could be done. I'll experiment. Thank you.
    -=JT=-

You won't be able to display the roof hatch pattern w/ reference sets; at least I don't think you can. Scott would know that.

Dorothy, each roof plane can have it own hatching & orientation. Or, were you referring to something else?
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Another idea is to do a 2nd story floor overview > 3D > View Direction > Top View showing the lower roof but more as a presentation view as opposed to a dimensioned view.

Name:	TopDnOrthoTopView.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	58778 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TopDn3DFullOV.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	58777

For the 2nd story dimensioned plan, and to show the roof below, but maybe without all the roofing pattern so it isn't so busy looking, use the reference layer set with only the roof planes on the main level displayed (I am sure Scott has videos you can watch on this or a similar technique he uses ... ChiefTutor.com). If you wanted to show some roofing material, you could do a Ben Palmer trick and just insert small shaped polylines on a part of each roof plane without the exterior line displayed (use a no-material line or a white line color) and then use a roofing pattern fill for those small areas.

Name:	TopDn2ndStoryPlan.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	58779

In the above image for the main level roof plane ridge, I had to turn on ridge caps for the ridge to show.

If you haven't looked at any of Ben's work, he used to have some sample plans or parts of some on his website. As I stated, he would just take a small part of a roof plane and show the material pattern that way rather than show the entire roof patterned. Very clean ... not so busy ... and looks good, IMHO. I think your image is a bit busy with all the patterns for the lower roof displayed. It does look very good nevertheless. Below is a link to Ben's sample plans:

http://www.palmerhomedesign.com/sample.aspx
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

The 3rd image in my post above is a reference layer set with only the roof planes, ridge caps and roof labels turned on. Changed the default red colors/line styles to what you see. You could give that specific reference layer set its own name so it is easy to navigate to.
    Curt Johnson

X5

You won't be able to display the roof hatch pattern w/ reference sets; at least I don't think you can.
    If you check the "Use Object Settings" option in the Change Floor/Reference dialog, you can display the roof fill style for the reference floor.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

Good one, Dermot.
    I can't work w/ hatched roof planes, but I'll find some use for that.
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Dempsey View Post
    If you check the "Use Object Settings" option in the Change Floor/Reference dialog, you can display the roof fill style for the reference floor.
    The radio button idea is what I was looking for, but which command are you in when you "Change floor/Reference dialog"?
    Also when using reference set turned on, what is the work around to not display all the other things like interior walls? Just turn off all that for printing?
    -=JT=-

I use hatched plines to achieve this look. I have also done them by using the roof plane itself with the hatching turned on, but I generally don't want the hatching to show on the Roof Plan, so I use plines. It's not all that much trouble to get this look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roofs.JPG 
Views:	238 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	58780  
    Joey R. Martin,aibd,cgp,cga,caps
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by joey3032 View Post
    I use hatched plines to achieve this look. I have also done them by using the roof plane itself with the hatching turned on, but I generally don't want the hatching to show on the Roof Plan, so I use plines. It's not all that much trouble to get this look.
    Yep that is the look I was after, and I followed that method by moving the roof planes up, while modifying the reference set to display the dashed outline on the floor below.
    But, what do you mean by..."roof plane itself with the hatching turned on". I must be missing something simple. Where is the turn on hatching command for roof planes?
    -=JT=-

Fill Tab....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roofs.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	58781  
    Joey R. Martin,aibd,cgp,cga,caps
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com