Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    [QUOTE=Doug Park;469246]
    But our focus is on doing residential and light commercial design better and quicker than anyone else.

Doug,

It is difficult to see that focus for "light commercial" The ability of easy storefront being at the forefront and hinges for commercial doors to name a few. I wish you would follow up on these items for commercial construction.

Ron Ravenscroft

Ron Ravenscroft
    RAVENSCROFT ARCHITECTS, LTD.
    20611 N. 17th WAy
    Phoenix, Arizona 85024
    623-434-0092 - 480-797-6894
    rrarchpa@cox.net or ron@raltd.net
    Version4 to X5 and beyond

So what is BIM. = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buildin...ation_modeling =The National Building Information Model Standard Project Committee has the following definition:
    Building Information Modeling (BIM) is a digital representation of physical and functional characteristics of a facility. A BIM is a shared knowledge resource for information about a facility forming a reliable basis for decisions during its life-cycle; defined as existing from earliest conception to demolition.

It is quite true that this lofty definition is beyond the scope of residential design. A conversation about Residential BIM makes a little more sense addressing the scale of residential design and construction.

When I get a feature survey from the surveyer it used to be a PDF and I would copy, trace or draw the information. Now I import a dwg convert the cad lines to terrain and elevation data. This in my view is fits the model for Residential BIM.

Material definitions and reporting just naturally fit in the definition.

Should we have this discussion whilst serious issues like wall connections remain unresolved. A primary function of Chief Architect is construction drawings. In my area the primary construction method is double masonry with cavity. The main layer will always create a situation where the cavity is breached. The sill plate comes from the foundation dbx and sits on top of the masonry wall to support roof framing. Depending which wall is the main layer will determine if the inside or outside wall will support the roof. Using furring wall goes a little way to address this issue but is counter productive because it is not an efficient way to draw and to edit becomes problematic.

So like many I have read Dougs reply and found it unsatisfying. Faster drawings - that would be nice. Accurate drawings that is better. The benefit I gain from auto dimensioning for example is lost very quickly by trawling through my construction drawings looking for for problems and apply fixes.

There is an extraordinary amount of detail available for cabinets. Fantastic for a cabinet maker or a remodeler or even upmarket homes that require that level of detail. Roof framing by comparison is poorly served. Under purlins roof battens and collar ties would be very welcome.

I could spend some time writing about the good things Chief does. I think that would bore people. So like many I discuss areas of improvement. I feel antagonism to those who play the devils advocate but will engage those with a point of view in discussion.

Doors are another area that behave badly in a cavity wall construction.

So by conclusion I think Chief Architect is a wonderful program and is working at solving a lot of issue for current users. My primary interest is construction documents. I appreciate raytracing because it helps our marketing and client visualization. Drawing a roof in plan view can be very challenging at times being able to see real time 3d with two screens is a real time saver. At the end of the day it's construction drawings for me.
    Last edited by Ed_Downunder; 11-15-2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Link Provided
    Edward

CA X6 Beta

Designer

Intermediate skill set and reaching

PPCM Pace Project & Construction Management.
    www.ppcm.com.au