A Commercial Bathroom Stall Partition "How To" using Railings

Hey gang! I'm working on a rather large project for a church in Kansas and I was cringing at the idea of having to create cad blocks or a 3D symbols to represent bathroom stalls that would meet ADA requirements. I've found that it's very tedious and time consuming trying to get them right using the CA provided symbols. Plus they don't scale right and the doors are off, etc. So I was sitting there and had an "a ha!" moment. Railings!

Here's a step by step.

1. Create a new wall type and make it 3/4" wide. Set the material to whatever you want to use for the partition (usually some laminate or painted metal)

2. Open the default railing type and set the wall type to your new partition wall type.

3. Begin laying out all of your stalls. The beauty of this is that you can quickly layout the partition walls then use interior dimensions and set the width and depth of the stalls to code very quickly.

4. Now time to edit the walls - First, select the wall that will hold the doors across the front. Open it and in the general tab set it to "No Room Def", then in the rail tab set it to "Panels" and uncheck "raise bottom rail/panel". In the newels/balusters tab set railing height to 80"-84" (or whatever height you choose). Set Newel width to 3/4" and Height to match railing height. Lastly in the rail tab make the rail square and set for auto width and set the height to whatever you want probably as non-existent as you need it to be.

5. Now select all of the separation partitions and open them to edit. Repeat step 4 but this time DO NOT check "No Room Def" (this helps with center objects later) and in the rail style tab leave "raise bottom rail / panel" checked and set to the appropriate height you need.

6. Now begin to add your doors. When you add a door to a railing it will default to an opening. Select it and open it for editing. Set the door to slab and set the height, width you need. Thickness should match the partition thickness. Then set the "Floor to bottom" height to match the "raise bottom rail / panel" you set in step 5.

7. Copy and paste all of your doors. Size them accordingly and the just begin to use the "center on object to center them in the "room" you created at the back wall. Or locate the ADA one as needed.

8. Now add your toilets and urinals and center them on the room

Voila, you are done! It took me 10 mins to set up this whole bathroom situation and I had anticipated 30 mins to make and adjust and fiddle with 3d objects. I hope this trick helps some people out who might do commercial work like myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bathroom Stalls2.jpg 
Views:	1574 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	58303   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bathroom Stalls.jpg 
Views:	927 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	58302  
    Aaron D.

President
    AMD Drafting, LLC
    Lubbock, Texas
    https://www.facebook.com/amddrafting
    www.vintagetownship.com
    X3

Good show Aaron!
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Quote Originally Posted by amddrafting View Post
    ..................... Lastly in the rail tab make the rail square and set for auto width and set the height to whatever you want probably as non-existent as you need it to be.
    Aaron, I did not understand this step, would you mind 'spaining what you are doing here? I do not see the rail in your picture.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    I do not see the rail in your picture.
    Exactly,

Basically do what you gotta do to get rid of the rail since most partitions don't have them. By setting the auto width it will make the rail as wide as the wall, then just set the height where you want it to be (1/16") so it basically disappears.

This won't work of all partition types obviously, but it's a great way to get it done quickly in 2D.

Also forgot to mention to be sure to suppress the door casing if it shows up. Mine didn't but it could on yours. With the right hinges and hardware you can really get this too look pretty realistic.
    Aaron D.

President
    AMD Drafting, LLC
    Lubbock, Texas
    www.vintagetownship.com
    X3

Oh and Mr. Hall. I think this could be a great video "how to." If you want to tackle it be my guest.
    Aaron D.

President
    AMD Drafting, LLC
    Lubbock, Texas
    www.vintagetownship.com
    X3

Quote Originally Posted by amddrafting View Post
    Oh and Mr. Hall. I think this could be a great video "how to." If you want to tackle it be my guest.
    It is not Mr. Hall to you, it is Drop-a-Shot Hall, anyway, I am one step ahead of you, video is now cooking. By the way, I do not think you have the top rail turned on in your picture. There is something else that handles that situation, explained in the vid. Nice tip Aaron, thanks a ton.

vid link here

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....989#post468989
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

What version of chief you use to design the baths?
    [SIZE=4]A HOME SWEET HOME DESIGN[/SIZE]
    www.AHSHD.com

Brandon Grant (AIBD)
    BAGrant@ahshd.com

Birmingham, Alabama
    1(205) 655-3299
    Chief Architect (Version 10.8)

X5 - But I'm sure you could achieve the same or close results in version 10.
    Aaron D.

President
    AMD Drafting, LLC
    Lubbock, Texas
    www.vintagetownship.com
    X3

It seems i can't raise the bottom of the partition to 12" to 16" with this version. Can it be done in x4.
    www.AHSHD.com

Brandon Grant (AIBD)
    BAGrant@ahshd.com

Birmingham, Alabama
    1(205) 655-3299

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Commercial Bath.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	58311
    see
    www.AHSHD.com

Brandon Grant (AIBD)
    BAGrant@ahshd.com

Birmingham, Alabama
    1(205) 655-3299

I just opened my X4 for the first time in I don't know how long. No, the raise bottom rail is an X5 feature. In fact, I never noticed just how versatile railings have become until I discovered this idea last night. Way to go CA Devs!
    Aaron D.

President
    AMD Drafting, LLC
    Lubbock, Texas
    www.vintagetownship.com
    X3

Honestly I'm not that concerned about the overall look of them unless I have to show them in an elevation view. My main problem has always been editing the stalls to meet code and to have doors in them so that everything can be easily edited and adjusted to meet the sizes I need.

So what you're doing in plan view should work just fine in previous CA versions.
    Aaron D.

President
    AMD Drafting, LLC
    Lubbock, Texas
    www.vintagetownship.com
    X3