Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Downunder View Post
    J .....but you cant put a price on a rough opening - can you?
    Of course you can, and most good estimating programs do. It's just an assembly attached to the door. Different doors styles can have different assembles (and scaling factors). -- An assembly does not necessarily have to be just a listing of adjunct materials. There are a myriad of other approaches.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

I wish the material list was accurate and reliable. I bought the X3 and now have completed the design of my house but am disappointed that CA has limitations on the estimating sections. The programme is so good but if I had known that the estimating section was limited I would have look at other softwares. I believe this element is crucial for the overall delivery of a project.

Reuben Lamack
    Owner Builder NSW

Edward,

Both door frames and architraves are listed under Interior Trim.
    The frame is Interior Jamb.
    The architraves are Interior Casing.
    Works for Doorways as well as doors.

I also don't have your problem of calculating the concrete slab - it seems to work OK for me.
    I get quantities for reinforcement, termite flashing, foundation bolts, cubic meters of concrete, steel mesh.

Are you sure that you haven't got these items unchecked in the Materials column of the Layer Display Options dbx?

The more I read your posts, the more I think there is something wrong with what you are doing.
    Last edited by Glenn Woodward; 03-28-2013 at 03:00 PM.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Glenn,

You seem to get the most out of Chief, albeit through correct use and work arounds?

We could ask you to make a DVD on correct modelling and settings for Material Take Off for Aussie users?

You could sell it to us and also advise CA how to improve the estimating functions?

BTW my 8 year old son caught an estuary cat fish 22 inches yesterday, did you get any Marlin last time?
    Last edited by Justice; 03-30-2013 at 07:32 PM.
    Manuel Trantalis.

1999 V6 to X5 2012.

Dell XPS 630i Q9400@2.66GHz,
    Twin NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT,
    8GB Ram, 64bit Windows 7 Pro.

Hi Glen,
    Thanks for your comments. I will reply as soon as possible. It's Easter of course and I am preparing my reply with a plan and materials list as I have time. You are quite right of course that you can get some information. I am focusing on the limitations and logic of the reporting with the view that Chief is paying attention to everyone's comments. The focus is on the users that have abandoned the materials list. Thank you for your reply because this is the conversation we need to have for this conversation to be balanced, to stay active and stay productive. I am not pulling Chief apart out of frustration ( although I have had my share.....past that point now.... looking to make this feature a stand out feature not a work around feature). With some thought and input from from user with different needs Chief will in time have to be flexible enough to cater for those region nuances.

Justice you have articulated the point very nicely and concisely. I am staying focused on the footings and foundation to discuss what Chief does well and where the logic gets lost.
    Edward

CA X6 Beta

Designer

Intermediate skill set and reaching

PPCM Pace Project & Construction Management.
    www.ppcm.com.au

Edward,

I would be interested to know why you were reporting basic items that are missing from the ML, such as slabs, door frames etc.

I am not trying to be critical against you, but it is sometimes counterproductive when users criticise a feature in Chief without knowing that it could be something they are doing wrong.
    I am not saying you are wrong in this case, just questioning why you are not getting these items in a ML when I know that Chief is quite capable of including them.

Justice,

I don't profess to be any sort of expert on the ML - I don't use it .
    I don't think I am the one to do a video or try guide which direction it goes.
    I just know that that some of the things that Edward is reporting don't make sense to me as I know that these items are easily included.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Glen your comments are very welcome and I have accepted them in the spirit they are given. Your right of course and many may have formed that view. I need to turn that around. I haven't been playing devils advocate ( no suggestion from anyone that I am - just saying) I will respond with more accuracy over the next few days (Easter and family commitments permitting). Part of repeating myself was responding to different posts looking for other users viewpoint. I can get the reporting that you mention. It is not reporting properly. If you have a concrete floor for the ground floor and a concrete floor for 2nd floor it reports as foundation. OK you can get the numbers and they will be correct but it is still reporting the 2nd floor as foundation. In my view the foundation and footing are the same thing. Ground floor slab is the ground floor and not a foundation member. Chief calculates the footing and ground floor slab as foundation and combines those 2 items into one total for concrete. OK many may say - well that's how Chief does it. The purpose of this conversation is to illustrate to Chief if there are others like me who have abandoned the materials list and would like to rediscover it.There are many examples where Chief works well and where it does't. I am staying focused on the footing - foundation at the moment and will move on to why I think the doors, walls etc could do with some improvement in the reporting. My primary driver is to use the program as designed not cleverly find workaround solutions.

justice made the point "You seem to get the most out of Chief, albeit through correct use and work around?" If you presented a builder with the materials list with "correct use" the builder (locally any way cant speak for across the water) would calculate footing and slab as separate items.

Please stay interested and add your comments and thoughts.
    Edward

CA X6 Beta

Designer

www.ppcm.com.au

Edward,

OK, I see what you are saying.
    The items are reported, but we need more control over how and where they are reported.
    Although the level 1 slab and level 2 slabs are reported under Foundation, at least they are separate and you can identify each one by their Floor number.

And I totally agree that the ML needs some work.
    From my limited usage it looks like it needs the abiliity to be more easily customised by the user so that we can tell it to put the second floor slab under Concrete, (for example) if we want.
    We have the ability to edit items after the ML is generated (you can move the level 2 concrete to a Concrete Category if you want), but we really need to be able to tell Chief to put the level 2 concrete under Concrete and not Foundation BEFORE we generate the ML.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

That's it preciosity Glen.

Even in the local user group I here some say they have no use for the materials list. They hand the layout to the builder and that's it. Job is finished.

Is there a builder in the world that does not want to know the quantities. If Chief produced an easy accurate list of quantities. That would add value to a design service. Now export that in excel and you have a builder coming back for more.

In my case we build and we have an in house design service. So from concept tp completion we are very interested in a functioning Materials list because when the plan is finished and the build begins we can export to excel and match actual against estimate.

From Chief point of view 3d views ray-tracing and all the wow factor are important and we use those features to get our clients from concept to a committed build. So these features suite a specifics user profile. That's what got us interested in the first instance. Then of course we were seduced by all the auto features. Now we realise that we need to focus on the end game. Working drawings and reliable estimates.

Just to be picky and at this stage of no real consequence. Can you get footings to be pour 1. The ground floor slab to be pour 2. The 2nd floor to be pour 3?
    Edward

CA X6 Beta

Designer

www.ppcm.com.au

Don't you hate it when spelling is auto corrected and somehow precisely becomes preciosity (sorry for the typo)
    Edward

CA X6 Beta

Designer

www.ppcm.com.au

Glen asked for specifics. Actually they come in in drabs every so often (do a search). Its just that no one pays any attention because most don't use a useless function. Also most builder know how to build and price residential housing. They generally won't use anything unless there's some degree of confidence in it.

A five minute review?

Chief Architect Material List
    1. Trim only reported as 1x ? regardless of size or style
    2. Sills report as 1x3 regardless of size or style. Lintels not reported
    3. No molding style reported except for room base, chair & crown
    4. Insulation given as batts only.
    5. Walls panels not identified.
    6. No way to list accessory material such as: nails, drywall/floor screws, tape, mortar, ties, forming, damp proofing, exp joints, caulking, shims, flashing, clips, etc.
    7. No way to break down, plumbing, electrical, HVAC
    8. No way to insert lines for eng, permits, inspections, architectural, etc.
    9. No material excavation.
    10. No method to separately list concrete for footing, walls, curbs, location
    11. Trusses listed by number only.
    12. No landscaping such as seed, top soil, edging, etc. not possible –gardens listed.
    13. No identification of rafters by use: ridge, hip, valley, blocking,
    14. No way to identify phases or dates.
    15. Gutters and others not identified by size or style
    16. Shingles by area only. Cals by one formula only
    17. All formulas by Chief only.
    18. All grouping by Chief only.
    19. No accumulation of paint totals or other similar materials
    20. No reporting of driveways and sidewalks
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

That's a good review for only 5 minutes.

It does explain why so many abandon the materials list.

Really appreciate your input Gerry. A lot of people are looking at this issue and following this conversation.

If you are a user that would like to use the materials list but have not for any reason please join in and contribute your thoughts.

It's not about your knowledge or lack of it. It's about a feature that needs fixing and Chief need's to know that a large user base wants it fixed.
    Edward

CA X6 Beta

Designer

www.ppcm.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Downunder View Post
    Just to be picky and at this stage of no real consequence. Can you get footings to be pour 1. The ground floor slab to be pour 2. The 2nd floor to be pour 3?
    Edward,

That is not how the Slab Pour Number is designed to work, so no, I can't get it to do that.

The Slab Pour Number only applies to monolithic slabs and is applied on a room by room basis.
    This means it can't be use for the level 2 slab - the level 2 slab is separated by floor number anyway.
    I can divide the level 1 floor into 2 rooms and apply a different pour number to each - this is how it is meant to work.
    In this case, the concrete is reported separately for the footings, pour 1 (level 1), pour 2 (level 1) and level 2 slab.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Thanks Glen for looking at this. You have reported cubic meters for a footing. That surprised me because I cant report that unless I make my wall a foundation wall. I have included a screen shot to explain.

Do you think that having pours for different rooms is a sensible use. I can see an application for a garage bit not a house. This is the point really. At first look it looks good. In practice where is the value. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walls vs Foundation wall.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	58256
    Edward

CA X6 Beta

Designer

www.ppcm.com.au