1/16", 1/8" increments are too small

I lost the"GRIDS" thread. So here is a follow up from where that left off. In order to draw without the small fractional dimensions (1/16" , 1/8" ), I opened the DIMENSION DEFAULTS dialogue box and in the SETUP tab in the SHOW section, I unchecked the fraction boxes (1/8 and 1/16) and the 0" box. I left the imperial box checked. you could choose metric instead. When drawing using these default dimensions, the dimensions jump in increments of one inch. I know the dimensions would not be accurate down to the 1/16", but would that be a problem? Does anyone know of a downside to drawing this way. it seems to be a bit easier on the surface. thank you for picking up this subject again. Bob L.

Bob,

You would probably be OK as long as you keep this setting from start to finish. If you use the fine adjustment handles or toggle to unrestricted you could have dimensions that display incorrectly (rounded) and potentially have a problem with things adding up. I believe I experienced this in my early days, although others have said they have not had a problem with this.

I have stuck with 1/16th and use direct entry to speed things up. I am accustomed to this and don’t find it inconvenient, but rather, desirable for consistency and accuracy. However, I draw nothing in less than 1/4" increments.

Sam

I have turned it down to 1/4" for plots when I get a stray 1/16th (rounding) and don’t feel like chasing it around. The fine adjustment handle can often rid you of the stray 1/16 though.
    Last edited by spencerdesign; 12-01-2003 at 03:46 AM.

Does anyone know of a downside to drawing this way.
    Rounding errors

draw a building with several jogs and diagonal walls, and dimension re-open the dimension setup and recheck the 1/16" box and redemension...you can have errors of up to 1/2" on some walls...added up over a distance these could be significant...

so what happens in the field when one side of the building is laid out from the end and the opposite side from the other end?? who's to blame when the plumbing, heat chases, bearing walls, etc do not line up??? YOU!!
    a better option is to use change the wall/opening snap unit in the setup tab of the dimension dbx to a whole value....ie 1", 12", 48", etc..

no matter how you set it up you will get fractions initially as chief joins walls at their centers...so even if you watch the display as you draw, say a 24' square house using a default wall with a nominal width of 4"...when dimensioned it will be 24'4" after it is done..much more accurate to simply use direct entry and enter whole values that way to MINIMIZE the fractions...but in real life they are going to be there

...if the builder can not read a tape down to 1/16"...it may be time to get a new builder..