Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Correct procedure for exporting??

I'm running x2 (ver12.4.0.23). I can only export my plan in .dwg or .jpg format. Absolutely no other formats do anything when I click save. I've tried in multiple views, into an empty folder,nothing. None of the format options are greyed out, they just do nothing at all. So I'm unable to export anything. Is there a certain mode you must be in, something I'm missing perhaps? I'm mainly trying to export in 3ds and pov so I can try different stand alone rendering programs because I'd like to see what a realistic render actually looks like. I'm new to this program and experimenting with everything.

Any exact step-by-step directions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

You need to be in a 3D view (not plan view).
    File...Export...3D Model
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

I click the 3D menu and choose floor camera, or perspective,etc. Then I position the view, click export,choose an empty folder and click save. Nothing happens. Are they the 3D views you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Shogyn View Post
    I click the 3D menu and choose floor camera, or perspective,etc. Then I position the view, click export,choose an empty folder and click save. Nothing happens. Are they the 3D views you mean?
    I don't get it, Glenn told you what to do yet you come back explaining what you did, but it was not what Glenn suggested. Why don't you try the steps that Glenn suggested.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Glenn was correct and what I think Scott may have missed and meant to say (I did first time I ever tried it) was that CA will have a wild card asterick (*) pre file type. Make sure that is gone and create a name for it. Wil not do a thing with the asterick still there. Works fine without it.
    Chief Architect X4, X5
    Thea Render Rookie
    ASUS K53SV / Win 7 x64
    Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU 2.00 Ghz
    NVIDIA GeForceŽ GT 540M with 1GB DDR3 VRAM
    Samsung 840 Pro SSD
    8 Gb DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM

Universe, Milky Way Galaxy, "Sun" Solar System, 22556

Thanks for the helpful tip keithhe! As for dshall "not getting it", let me explain it for you.....Glenn said put it in a 3D view and then all you need to do after that is click file---export. So I was confirming that floor camera and perspective views were in fact what he meant by a 3D view. Understand so far? Then I clarified exactly what steps I took so he could correct or add if needed, and finally I repeated that even with being in a 3D view (if I was doing it correctly) that there was still no change! Instead of sarcasm a little more in depth reading like keithhe did would have been more helpful.
    Thanks again keithhe, will try again with your tip.

unfortunately Scott is full of scarcasm

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    unfortunately Scott is full of scarcasm

Lew
    And fortunately for us Lew is full of something else.

Andy.
    CA X-V, Sketchup 8 PRO,
    Auto-something '11
    Revit'11
    Windows 7, AMD Phenom 8 core, 12 Gigs. Ram. (Works well together).
    Andre' G. Tardif
    andytardif@gmail.com
    www.draftinginoc.com

Yep, and I will spread it around as needed

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I neglected to thank Glenn for initially replying, and quickly. I omitted the asterisk keithhe and it worked immediately!! Thanks again!

Scott can be a itty bitty tiny bit grumpy at times, but that being said, he has helped resolve many problems for many people on this forum. (Yes, I know Andy, thanks )

What Glenn said was correct. I think most do this often enough that they may not even think about the fact that CA adds this asterick. The temptation is to name it and leave the asterick, but CA will just sit there and look at you like an idiot if you do. Rename, remove and it works fine.

A point Lew will make often is to please read this post, from stickies. http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....-ask-questions This will better help those here, help you.
    Chief Architect X4, X5
    Thea Render Rookie
    ASUS K53SV / Win 7 x64
    Samsung 840 Pro SSD
    8 Gb DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM

Thanks again keithhe, advice noted. You can probably tell I'm new to this program so I'm gleaning as much info from all the different topics in this forum. While at the same time learning on the go with my experimental first project. I'm also not an architect at all, CA is just for my home pleasure.

But while you're still around, could I grab another answer from you? I just added a 2nd floor,derived off the 1st one. Just a simple room actually. When I put in stairs it's all good until I click auto stairwell. Then it seems to acknowledge the whole stairway as a room. It opens up to the 2nd floor but also opens right through to the sky sometimes. You also cannot look down to the 1st floor, you only see ground. Same if I create an open below spot on the 2nd floor(which I want to do) it becomes a room(whether I use invisible walls or not) and you also cannot look up from the first floor into the one above. Looking down from the 2nd floor, expecting to see the first, you only see ground again. That all sounds confusing, but I've attached my plan if you would be so kind to take a sec and see if you can determine what exactly I have wrong somewhere. Thanks again.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm not sure I see the problem? Or I don't understand the question? If you go to perspective view, floor overview, or perspective view, full camera, all looks normal. I can see up or down (depending on level). That is going to be a fun roof for a first try, by the way.

Try to sent a snap shot (jpg) of what you are seeing, but I'm not.
    Chief Architect X4, X5
    Thea Render Rookie
    ASUS K53SV / Win 7 x64
    Samsung 840 Pro SSD
    8 Gb DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM

Attached 2 views. I've experimented with checking and unchecking different options on the stairs. Also when you click the railing on the 2nd floor it shows as a room. So I checked and unchecked some of those options as well to see the changes. But nothing allows me to view between floors through the stairwell opening.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st Floor view.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	57841   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd Floor view.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	57842  

Quote Originally Posted by Shogyn View Post
    Attached 2 views. I've experimented with checking and unchecking different options on the stairs. Also when you click the railing on the 2nd floor it shows as a room. So I checked and unchecked some of those options as well to see the changes. But nothing allows me to view between floors through the stairwell opening.
    Post the plan and I will show you how to do it. Oh, you did post............. give me a second.
    Last edited by dshall; 02-27-2013 at 03:22 PM.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall