Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm sorry to disagree with this but I think the idea of "wall locks" is pointless. If you don't want your walls to move, then don't move them. If you don't want other walls in your plan to move, then don't change any walls connected to them. And whatever you do, don't change any of the wall types you are using.

I bet that most of the people that are having this problem are only having it because they have changed their wall types and have not set up the "resize about" so the program will do what they want. I have never seen a case where the program randomly changed a wall without me doing something that directly caused it.

If you really can't live with this, then convert your walls into a symbol or use a view to cad detail. Now your walls won't move because they aren't walls anymore.

I don't think it's Chief's responsibility to protect you from your lack of understanding how the program works.
    Kilgore Trout

bumping and pushing also might have walls move on you
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Marty,

Any chance that you can post a plan with that wall junction displaying the problem.
    I'd be interested to have a play, because I can't duplicate the problem.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    OK I found a fix. I drew a thin invisible wall across the end of the retaining wall and dragged that up to the house. I still had to be careful when adjusting the length of the invisible wall to stop it reverting to one long wall.
    Interesting that there are still those who say Chief will never move a wall on its own accord. I thought if a layer was locked it was locked - but what do I know?
    If a layer is locked it means you can't select that stuff. Lock all framing layers, change you hip to a gable and raise 2'. I bet the studs get 2' higher and the rafters change even though those layers are locked.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

d dot,

Time to take your meds.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    d dot,

Time to take your meds.
    Am I wrong?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Red wine just landed in front of me.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Am I wrong?
    d dot

No, probably not wrong.
    It just depends on what the question was!
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Not a question, he made a statement that if the layer is locked, things will not change on that layer. I was trying to point out that is not true.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The "resize about" function does not give you enough options to prevent "wall moves" from happening all the time and is sometimes difficult to figure out.

Most times the best thing to do is to draw or snap some cad lines or polylines or even a closed polygon, put it on a layer called "original wall reference-1st floor" or something like that and then make the change. If the dang wall moves, you have an original reference point or line. You can copy the cad from floor to floor. Of course if they would just give us that "unnecessary wall locking and dimension locking function" I wouldn't have to resort to this "safety work-a-round".

As usual, I'm with Lew on this one and have always been. Guess me and Lew just never bothered to properly learn the program.-BB
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Not a question, he made a statement that if the layer is locked, things will not change on that layer. I was trying to point out that is not true.
    d dot

OK, I found the example a little obtuse and didn't make the connection when you started to talk about roofs and rafters.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD