Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spiral stairs!?

Quote Originally Posted by spencerdesign View Post
    I am curios what Joe would charge for a spiral like this?
    -------------------
    spencer that is great.
    look this one. me toooo curios what joe.........
    Perry i appreciate joes performance. may be this will pass you qualication criterias based on pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spiral s.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	57672   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spiral s1.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	57673  
    Yusuf hassen/
    engineer & architect.......
    Win7 home premium,32bit,3GB ram ...
    X2/X4 premium
    Autocad 2010, Staadpro 2004.

Yusuf,

Eliminate the skirt, add a red top handrail, a yellow bottom rail just above the nosings, make the riser closure come down just halfway from the bottom of the tread and add a 6" pole and make the landing just 2" thick.

There's really no way to do that just using the Chief Stair Tool.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Joe, if i could make this in chief, there is no way i could make a one looks like our flag colour parts.
    Any way you remind me about an examiner for a vacancy. There was left with two candidates to qualify and he actually wanted the lady to pass and he asked her first to tell the number of population of their country. She said 60 mill. Then he looked twards the man asked him to list thier names(the 60 mill)!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	joe s 1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	57682   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	joe s.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	57684  
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

Yusuf,

I'm not saying that you can't get a fairly decent stairway doing it your way. I'm just saying that it doesn't allow the same ability to model what's commonly available even from the kit makers - let alone the custom shops.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Hummm, i dont expect ca to do every thing in ones mind automatically, custom objects r custom and one should use his own tactics to come with solutions. And like you do, i can make symbols inside chief, almost any thing i need.
    But, joe let me ask you one question. You said chief has big limitation in "stair railing", does this short commings exist for general railings in chief??? Do you use symbols for your deck railings like stair railings?
    How many of agree with ca having big limitations in railings.
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

Quote Originally Posted by yusuf View Post
    Hummm, i dont expect ca to do every thing in ones mind automatically, custom objects r custom and one should use his own tactics to come with solutions. And like you do, i can make symbols inside chief, almost any thing i need.
    But, joe let me ask you one question. You said chief has big limitation in "stair railing", does this short commings exist for general railings in chief??? Do you use symbols for your deck railings like stair railings?
    How many of agree with ca having big limitations in railings.
    The short answer is yes - it's better in X5 than before but still not what it could be. Consequently I usually need to do custom railings. I have some custom railing designs that I use on some types of projects but I probably just as often design one that's unique and that Chief doesn't handle.
    Windows 8.1

I am guessing this discussion would be better served if everyone understood some of the techniques used to achieve the models shown. So Listed below are links to some crude videos illustrating possible approaches. The videos don't show you how to create a workable spiral stars but only some tools to do so. Hopefully, others might also contribute with a better understanding.

http://youtu.be/qW5E3Y3XS-c Part 1 on YouTube
    http://youtu.be/mkXlzvUxGXE Part 2 on YouTube
    http://youtu.be/6ODL3luuR_0 Part 3 on YouTube

I am sure that there are additional variations that others may be encouraged to contribute in the spirit of this forum.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

Gerry,
    i agree that.
    Gerry you r right. I agree with you. I am a self thought and never watched a video. i dont assume that people doesnt know what i can do. But some people like perry
    should be contributing more, since he says he is perfect in creating clean models.......... !!
    Gerry, let me share just what i know. By dragging the circular stairs towards the center, then removing railings from the same side will automaticall make it done.
    View it in 3d then delete the surfaces(chosing open risers may help to create fast) so that only the threads remain. Finally create a symbol.
    Before doing that step if you want more flexible railings in the stair dbx remove all rails. Then draw a wall some where else and assign railing.
    one important tip here is to make it "follow stair" in railing tab. Then by curving and alligning it with the outer edge of the spiral stair. You will get pretty cool railings on stair.
    More complicated ones need some further work arrounds as i have mentioned in above posts. and i recommend you to practice a little.
    for ca staffers i suggest there is a verry short way that you can add a spiral stair. It is, by modifying ramp dbx and add an option of ss in the ramp dbx, or kind of indepent tool but more or less similar behaveour with ramps. furthermore i underline be thoughtfull in creating stylish railings as they r perfect in following ramps up!!! Plse give your comments freelly. even perries shear critique is wellcomed. We r here for improvement of our capability not.......
    Gerry i wish sdk integration to happen soon. even though i am not programmer i feel it is helpfull .....kkk...
    Thanks
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

But some people like perry
    should be contributing more, since he says he is perfect in creating clean models.......... !!
    Yusuf, Never said perfect but I do the best I can because it saves time. I also would show a generic spiral stair in plan view and add some details from the manufacturer if need be.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor